Subject: BBC...Bookery Boardgaming Club...Fairborn, Ohio rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Conley
United States
Enon
Ohio
flag msg tools
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm somewhat late in posting the report for last weekend's meeting. Apologies to my regular readers...both of you.

We had a nice spike in attendance this time! Fifteen of us were at this meeting! WOOOHOOO!!! We welcomed Adam, a first-timer to the BBC. We certainly enjoyed having him with us and hope he'll be back!

Games played this time...

-Tales of the Arabian Nights

-Chaos in the Old World (a win for Nurgle!)

-Galaxy Trucker

-Fairy Tale

-Can't Stop

-Diamant

-Railroad Tycoon (tables at the Bookery ARE large! It fit!!!)

-The Adventurers...the Temple of Chac

Our next meeting (Nov. 29th) will be the "formal" one-year birthday celebration. We've handed out tickets for the drawing over the past two sessions and will do the same next time up until app. 4:00, with the actual drawing at app. 4:30. The lucky winner will receive a $60 Bookery gift card! And, since the store is actually open until 5:00, you'll have time to spend it! Of course, we'll be gaming until 8:00 PM as usual.

Come on out and have some fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Enon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I counted 11 of us yesterday, including another new member!!! Games played...

-Warhammer:Invasion

-The Adventurers: Temple of Chac

-Starcraft:the Boardgame

-Agricola

-Chaos Marauders

-Power Grid

This was my first foray into Agricola following my long-standing "it's a game about medieval farming. How can THAT be fun?!?" stance. And, of course, it was GREAT fun! I came in dead last, but still enjoyed the game a lot. A most pleasant surprise!

Congrats to Dorsey for winning the $60 Bookery gift card! Mark won TWO donated games, Rob won one, and special "congrats" to Shaun. He was unable to attend, but his name was drawn for a Very Special Prize, a Great Big Box O' Fun donated by the Bookery folks. I can't reveal EVERYTHING that was in it, but let's put it this way...the Bookery is taking NONE of it back!!!

Seriously, MANY thanks to Eric and the Bookery staff for allowing us to stay late and play for a whole year! Looking forward to the next one!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it was next weekend! Maaaaaaaan.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Dooley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan, I'll make it up there one of these times. I love me some Bookery!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Enon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good! Thanks, Sean!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan, I'm glad to read that you've finally lost your Agricola cherry! So, maybe the next time I can manage to hook up with your crew again, we can have us a game....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Enon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They grow CHERRIES in that game, too?!? That must be in the expansion....

Great to hear from you! Hope you'll stop in when you have a chance. And, yes, I'd be happy to have another go at Agricola. Can't do MUCH worse than I did the first time around...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Enon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twelve of us in attendance at yesterday's BBC! We enjoyed-

-Tomb: Cryptmaster

-Through the Ages

-Frag

-Talisman: Frostmarch

-Agricola

I was really excited to play Arabian Nights again AND to give a first-timer his first play of Talisman! Now, when I list the game as "Frostmarch", that's what I mean...quite literally. It seems that the last time we played Talisman, we used the Dungeon. And whoever the ninny was that picked up the game put ALL the Adventure cards in the Dungeon box! Naturally, the Dungeon box didn't make the trip yesterday... yuk SO it was Talisman with ONLY the new expansion cards.
A bit stilted, to be sure! And yet, the first-timer (Matt) had such fun with THAT version of the game that he's looking forward to playing a FULL game SOON! ("Full" as in "we didn't finish yesterday's game as we ran out of time.") I used what I thought was a sure-fire method to make the game short, and it STILL went rather long!!!

*Full disclosure* I'm fairly certain that the above-named "ninny" who put the base game cards in the expansion box (thinking we'd NEVER take JUST the base game again!) was very likely ME. shake

Looking forward to our next session in 2010!!! That'll be Jan. 10! Mark your calendars (as soon as you put them up!)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Enon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nine of us in attendance for this "right-after-Christmas" installment of the BBC! So a bit short on numbers AND we had to cut the session shorter than usual. We played...

-Axis and Allies Pacific: 1940 Edition

-Break the Safe

-Talisman Rev. 4th Ed. with Dungeon and Frostmarch

-Ideology: the War of Ideas

Good Times had by all! We meet again on Sunday, January 10, 2010!!! Drop in when you have a chance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Enon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twelve in attendance this past Sunday. We played-

-Power Grid: Factory Manager

-To Court the King

-Tribute (prototype designed by Bill, one of our regulars!)

-Dominion

-Agricola

-Runebound: Frozen Wastes

-Royal Palace

-Pocket Battles Ancients #1: Celts/Romans

Next get-together is Sunday, January 24th. We'll almost certainly get some BattleLore in next time as Adam picked up a sale copy and wants to get it going! We start setting up and organizing at app. 1:15 and roll from 2:00 - 8:00 PM. Check us out when you're in Fairborn!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ack! Great, I missed another game of Agricola with new people! How did I ever get so unlucky?

I'm really starting to hate having to work on Sundays....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Enon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, Agricola's REALLY getting a following in our group! Even I played it once and had a great time! I'm more a wargamer/AT'er and just couldn't IMAGINE that farming could be so much fun...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you guys started playing the FotM expansion yet? It's an excellent twist on the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Enon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure AT LEAST one person HAS the expansion. I don't believe I've seen it in action yet, though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Enon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A dozen of us again today! And we played...

-Dungeon Lords

-The American Civil War (Eagle Games)

-Dominion

-BattleLore

-Fairy Tale

-At the Gates of Loyang

Great times were had today!!! Our next meeting will be Sunday, Feb. 7th. We set things up app. 1:30. ***Please note that this will be Super Bowl Sunday! As such, we will need to close things down a bit early. We need to be gone by 6:00 PM.*** But don't let THAT stop you from attending! Hope to see you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Enon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fourteen of us today for our Super-Bowl shortened session, and we did a LOT of quality gaming! We played-

-Commands & Colors:Ancients (I finally got to play!!!)

-DungeonLords

-Can't Stop

-Thunderstones

-Dominion

-Tsuro

-For Sale

-Dominion:Seaside

-Family Business

Looking forward to doing some more Ancients SOON, most likely an Epic battle. Many thanks to Eric for playing today. I'd reviewed the rules for this one before every meeting for MONTHS and we never played it. After I decided to NOT keep re-reading the rules to prep for a game, THAT'S when we finally played!!!!!!! SO Eric was nice enough to wade through the rules with me. I've played LOADS of M'44 and B'Lore so I know the system. Ancients has so many more unit types, leaders, etc. It makes for a GREAT game! It also involved a good deal of rules checking along the way...

Next meeting is Sunday, Feb. 21. We set things up app. 1:15 - 1:30 with things up and rolling from 2:00 - 8:00 PM. See you soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Enon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SIXTEEN of us today! SWEEEEET!!! That included a couple of folks we haven't seen in quite awhile, including Nathan and Chris. GREAT to have you with us, guys!

We played-

-DungeonLords

-RuneWars

-Dominion

-Cash 'N' Guns

-Warhammer:Invasion

-Rush 'N' Crush

-Thunderstones

-Can't Stop

This was my first attempt at DungeonLords and, with a lot of help, I ended up not coming in last! It's a really fun game and I'll be happy to have another go soon!

Next meeting is Sunday, March 7th. See you there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan James
United States
Covington
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I definitely enjoyed my time there yesterday. I played four games, all of which were new to me, so thanks to those who taught me.

Although I haven't played Dominion before, I can't imagine that many games are won with a final score of 2 VPs I tied for 2nd place with ZERO points. Those Sea-Hags make it tough.

Rush'n'Crush was fun, even though we had to be continually reminded what the various weapons do. Consequently, I think a second play would be better still. I really like the mechanics of steering and heat that are used in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NJames wrote:
I definitely enjoyed my time there yesterday. I played four games, all of which were new to me, so thanks to those who taught me.

Although I haven't played Dominion before, I can't imagine that many games are won with a final score of 2 VPs I tied for 2nd place with ZERO points. Those Sea-Hags make it tough.

Rush'n'Crush was fun, even though we had to be continually reminded what the various weapons do. Consequently, I think a second play would be better still. I really like the mechanics of steering and heat that are used in the game.

I started to read through the Rush n' Crush advanced rules and I like them a lot more. More dice rolls for the weapons. There are also limited mines (4 total per player), they only do 1 point of damage, and they have a 50% chance of exploding. The machine gun and Flamer have a roll depending on how many squares you are away. If you're one square, you roll three dice and hit on any 1's or 2's so you could possibly hit for 3 points of damage/heat instead of one.

Also, they simplfy the offense/defense rules and just note that you can only use two activated weapons and it doesn't matter which two. For example, you could use the saws and the side bumper in the same round or the boost and the fire extinguisher. Much easier to remember.

I'll be playing this with the group at the high school tomorrow with the kids.

I can see where this game would greatly be aided by a reference card. If there's not already one out there, I may do some scanning and make one up myself for the future.

Edit: Well, there were a couple of them!

http://files.boardgamegeek.com/file/download/4m7l0x2xxt/Rush...

Think I like that one the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dumbname
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
how did i not know about this!?

i'll try to attend, when possible, but my 10-month-old wins most of the time.

i haven't seen record of you guys playing Pandemic, Battlestar Galactica, or Descent: Journeys into the Dark. if i can attend, i'll bring all three. well, four, if you count Pandemic: On The Brink.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Pandemic a couple of times but I don't own it anymore. Need to buy it again.

Regardless, come on in! The more, the merrier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan James
United States
Covington
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
FunkyBlue wrote:
I can see where this game would greatly be aided by a reference card.

thumbsup Thumbs up on using a reference card. Not that playing without it was bad, but having it would help a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Enon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, dumbname! Nice name, by the way!!! We have played Pandemic and would happily play MORE! Folks have brought B'Star Galactica but I don't believe it's been played. Descent hasn't hit the table at a meeting. I'm a reformed Descent player myself. (Long story...I'll tell you sometime.)
I haven't seen anyone bring a copy but, if you brought yours, I'm guessing you'd have some takers!

Drop in when you have a chance! I understand...the 10-month-old comes first!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Enon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twelve of us today! Some were out enjoying a rare day of sunshine, no doubt!!! We played...

-Bazaar

-Arkham Horror w/Dunwich expansion (a relatively easy win for the investigators!)

-Commands & Colors: Ancients

-The Adventurers: Temple of Chac

-Tobago

-Warhammer: Invasion

-Tumblin' Dice (MAN, did THAT look and SOUND like fun!!!)

-Pack & Stack

-Alhambra

-Pocket Battles: Celts & Romans (Great game in a small package! I was SLAUGHTERED, but still had fun!)

Next get-together is March 21st at our regular time. A couple of us already know we CAN'T be there (I'm playing for a Civic Theatre show that weekend), but it'll be business as usual at the BBC!

If you're planning ahead (!), the next scheduled session would hit on April 4th. That's Easter and the store is planning to be closed. We'll continue our regular rotation after that on April 18th.

Stop in and see us!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yosemite wrote:
-Tumblin' Dice (MAN, did THAT look and SOUND like fun!!!)

Yes. Yes, it was. Will definintely bring it back next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [60] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.