United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We played:

For Sale
Jyhad aka Vampire: the Eternal Struggle (Had to have something spooky!)
Poseidon's Kingdom
7 Wonders with Cities and Leaders
The Resistance x 4

On a personal note:

I've been asked what my favorite games are from time to time... and I always mention 3 games: Magic: The Gathering (my all time #1), Netrunner, and Vampire: The Eternal Struggle among my favorite games. People often seem surprised by my choices. Recent chances to play and build decks for the latter two confirm those beliefs.

People praise several designers in the board game realm... but none compare to Richard Garfield. It's not even close.

Check the dates:

Magic in 1993
Jyhad (OFFICIALLY the 2nd CCG made ever... the Star Trek: TNG then L5R and other hundreds) in 1994
Netrunner in 1996

Settlers of Catan was 1995 for comparison.

Granted, Garfield had a lot of help, but I would put these 3 against any designer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Dersch
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, magic is definitely my favorite game ever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ruhtra wrote:

I started playing right after Arabian Nights came out. It was a fun game, don't get me wrong, but like most games, it's only as fun as the people you play with. And that's precisely why I stopped playing shortly after Ice Age.

It stopped being fun because the people that started playing all around me became arseholes.

Young kids were annoying as they would spend weeks devoting time to create this amazing deck - and then have to explain every card in his deck, why they put it in, how much it cost to buy the card, how much they love the card, and then pout for 6 turns because they can't get the two last islands they need to bring it into play. And whining, throwing cards, kicking the table when the card they drew wasn't something they needed.

The adults that would buy themselves a great deck and then made snide comments after they trounce you about how "easy that match was." I rarely saw as many ego-prone adults with such lack of tact or sportmanslike conduct as I did playing Magic towards the end of the Legends release. Plus, these guys rarely tended to shower and I still think it was a tactic to win by sufficating their opponents with BO.

It was about that time that I had some experience playing Vampire: The Masquerade with a few friends and the first few Steve Jackson games like Car Wars and Illuminati. Sold all my cards for a little over $300 (which was probably a steal even back then considering all the Arabian, Legends, and unlimited rares I had.)

So, it's a good game and I'd still play a quick round if someone threw me a starter deck, but there's no way I would get as involved as I used to back then. There are better games out there, especially now. They might not be as marketed as well as Magic (Garfield's true genius was not in the design of the game as much in how it was marketed and sold as a CCG, something never before seen in a game.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jimmy ryan
United States
Jamestown
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoyed Jyhad and would play again in a heartbeat... or lack thereof!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thomas
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bring Jihad again next week and I will bring Gears of War too. I should be ready to demo it by then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FunkyBlue wrote:
ruhtra wrote:

I started playing right after Arabian Nights came out. It was a fun game, don't get me wrong, but like most games, it's only as fun as the people you play with. And that's precisely why I stopped playing shortly after Ice Age.

It stopped being fun because the people that started playing all around me became arseholes.

Young kids were annoying as they would spend weeks devoting time to create this amazing deck - and then have to explain every card in his deck, why they put it in, how much it cost to buy the card, how much they love the card, and then pout for 6 turns because they can't get the two last islands they need to bring it into play. And whining, throwing cards, kicking the table when the card they drew wasn't something they needed.

The adults that would buy themselves a great deck and then made snide comments after they trounce you about how "easy that match was." I rarely saw as many ego-prone adults with such lack of tact or sportmanslike conduct as I did playing Magic towards the end of the Legends release. Plus, these guys rarely tended to shower and I still think it was a tactic to win by sufficating their opponents with BO.

It was about that time that I had some experience playing Vampire: The Masquerade with a few friends and the first few Steve Jackson games like Car Wars and Illuminati. Sold all my cards for a little over $300 (which was probably a steal even back then considering all the Arabian, Legends, and unlimited rares I had.)

So, it's a good game and I'd still play a quick round if someone threw me a starter deck, but there's no way I would get as involved as I used to back then. There are better games out there, especially now. They might not be as marketed as well as Magic (Garfield's true genius was not in the design of the game as much in how it was marketed and sold as a CCG, something never before seen in a game.)

Agreed. I played through Arabian Nights, Legends, and Unlimited (I think that was the basic set after Beta). I got out right when Ice Ages came out, once I realized what a money whore the game was was going to be if I wanted to be competitive. It became such that whoever sank the most money into the game won, and I had other things to spend my money on.

I have to say, after seeing current prices on some of that stuff, I wish I'd kept it to sell NOW instead of giving away/selling them for cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Dersch
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only started playing magic in the last couple of years. So as for the situation back in the day, no comment there. But today there are more people playing magic now then ever before. I've met a lot of great people through it. There is a very large community that has grown around the game. With so many people talking about it, finding good strategies is very easy. As for assholes, every community has them, even our beloved board games.

One of the great things about magic is the variety of ways to play it. Personally I like standard and booster drafts, but there are many other formats out there. One interesting one is elder dragon highlander where you choose a legendary creature to be your general, then build a singleton deck using only the colors in your general's mana cost. This is a fan made format that was popular enough for wizards to create content specifically for it.

The game can be a money sink if you let it though. Personally I've invested very little so far, but had a pretty good return. I ran a $40 deck in a standard tournament and was able to take first place. Some of the decks I faced had multiple copies of individual cards that cost more than my entire deck.

My favorite part of the game has to be that it is not based on an existing franchise. I understand why so many other are, but it does limit the possibilities. The flavor of this game is great though. I really enjoy how each set is now set on a new plane. Setting and story are conveyed almost entirely through the cards, depicting characters and major events. The scars of mirrodin block showed a plane that slowly became corrupted from within by an ancient evil. As the sets progressed, more and more cards were phyrexian. Culminating in the last set with phyrexian influence mutating mana itself, changing the way you can play cards.

But overall, it's just fun. I've played games that tried to improve the formula, but none were as fun. The number of imitators alone should speak to the great design that went into making it. We wouldn't have deck building games like Dominion or card drafting games like 7 wonders if it weren't for Richard Garfield.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Baldwin
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ruhtra wrote:
As for assholes, every community has them, even our beloved board games.

I think I heard someone say my name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jimmy ryan
United States
Jamestown
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you bring Jyhad to FOPCON game day, I'll be up for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thomas
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Who is going to FopCon this Saturday?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure exactly when and how long, but I'm planning on being there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jimmy ryan
United States
Jamestown
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i am planning on it and ill bring mansions of madness for those interested

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Enon
Ohio
flag msg tools
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill...no argument here re. Magic being an all-time great design. It certainly has had staying power and I myself was under its spell for a good while! I dropped out when The Dark expansion came out. I bought TWO boxes and didn't have a complete set. yuk That was enough for me.

I'm doubtful for FopCon sadly. Every year I say I'm hoping to get there next year... shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The actual FOPCon is in March, Dan. This is just a FOPCON sponsored game day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Enon
Ohio
flag msg tools
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
D'OH!!! Don't know if I'll EVER get that right! Thanks, Chris!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thomas
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will they be selling food tomorrow at the gaming con?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Baldwin
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cannot remember... I think they opened the kitchen last time just like a normal FOPCON.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jl alexander
United States
bellbrook
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When does FOPCON end? My plane gets in a little after 3. If anyone will be there I should be able to stop by.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Baldwin
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ends at 11pm. I may be there that late... you can call me or text me to make sure I am, but 95% likely I will be there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jl alexander
United States
bellbrook
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks bill. I plan on stopping by around 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thomas
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be at the Bookery starting at 12. Who else is going to be there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jimmy ryan
United States
Jamestown
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Who's planning on Sunday? I am going to bring MoM and actually play it! It would be interesting to get in another game of Jyhad as well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Baldwin
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Should be there.

Side note: They finished the basement!!!!!!!! It looks halfway decent now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thomas
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan to be there

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  37 , 38 , 39 , 40 , 41  Next »  [60] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.