Zev Shlasinger
United States
Naples
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are looking for a release date, I don't have a firm one yet. I am writing to give you an idea of where we are with the project.

You see, the reason for the delay is that I went to break up a matrix to make an 'efreet-only matrix and to move the other stuff into a new matrix. What I found is that a lot of efreet encounters didn't work for efreets so I had to get new paragraphs made. Then I discovered that a lot of the original paragraphs just weren't working for their respective encounters so I had to go back and rewrite those. But that proved challenging as there were a lot of paragrpahs that just didn't work.

And while that was happening, the numbers on the matrices had issues as many were pointing to nowhere, to wrong places, etc. So basically I have to cross-reference the matrix numbers and the actual paragraphs to make sure it works for the encounter(s) in question, which means tweaking, rewriting or completely adding new paragraphs. This is a long, tedious process.

Once it is done, then we need to fix all the numbers in the matrices, fix some encounter cards, and then lay out the Book of Tales.

And then we can send it to the printer. But I have no idea how long the trawling through paragraphs is going to take and how long to write new ones as needed. It is going at a snail's pace as it is me and one other working the paragraphs and I don't have all the time to devote to the process.

But when it is finished it should be beautiful (cross fingers). I will post when the game goes to the printer so that you get a better ETA on the release. Right now, if I had to guess, I'd say May or June.

Zev Shlasinger, President
Z-Man Games, Inc.
www.zmangames.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Boatman
United States
Santa Fe
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd rather have a copy without mistakes later than a copy I wish I had not purchased now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Thanks, Zev...sounds like you definitely have your hands full. Keep on trucking...we'll be patient. Thanks for the update.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I legally own hundreds of polyhedral assault dice!
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. Taking the time needed to get it right will pay dividends!

Stay the course! Get it right! Don't be stampeded by restless gamers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
I, for one, welcome your mouse pointer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes! I regret buying the Fred version (1.0) of Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization. And I have heard that ver 3.0 still has flaws...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armin Brueckner
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I felt the same about Agricola, I would rather wait and have a finished product that I would own for years then one rushed to market.

I'm looking forward to this release as one of the standouts of the year. It's great to hear how much attention is going into it.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry K
United States
Bloomsburg
PA
flag msg tools
I can has 18xx teacher?
mbmbmbmbmb
Much like video games, its better to have it delayed and get the working one then have one so broken it is unenjoyable
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Small typos in a typical Euro like those found in TtA can usually easily be worked around without really impacting the game play except for the overly obsessive.

In this game the problems would impact the flow of the game and that would be a shame. I am fine with waiting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Failing Upwards Since '93!
United States
Bridgeton
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So you're saying you need me to volunteer to play-test?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the update; I too share the sentiment that it's worth whatever time it takes to get it perfect.

Quote:
What I found is that a lot of efreet encounters didn't work for efreets so I had to get new paragraphs made.

I've been wondering about that ever since I heard that the reaction matrices would be filled out for all reactions: who's the writer? =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schoner
United States
Norcross
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
As a matter of fact, I AM the boss of you.
mbmbmbmbmb
As everyone else has said, take your time, Zev - and thanks for taking the time to get it right.

And if you could use another pair of hands/eyes to help out with the process, let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝpun uʍop ʞǝǝƃ
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the update, Zev. And thank you for being thorough.

I'm really looking forward to this one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Johnson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Duck!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is game I am most anticipating, but I would rather have a top quality game later then a sub-par one now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Tuttle
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zman wrote:
Right now, if I had to guess, I'd say May or June.

I wanted to cry a little when I saw this especially since I pre-ordered thru thoughthammer, but I've got to go with the sentiments of most of the rest of ya'all, I'd rather have something good then a piece of errata-ridden junk.

I didn't regret my Agricola pre-order and I'm starting to think, even with delays, that I won't regret this one either.

Thanks for doing it right and not right now, Zev.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Cannon
United States
ATLANTA
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More support for taking your time and getting it right. I still haven't learned to trust FRED. You have an excellent reputation and what you are doing is the right thing to keep it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd offer to help, but I fear I would be more of a burden. It seems like one of those tasks best left to those who know the game inside-out. I agree with the rest; take your time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Bailey
United States
North Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
May or June? Aw shit!

(I need to learn to deal with my anger issues)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Enon
Ohio
flag msg tools
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
Zev...thanks for the update! I've been looking forward to this for some time now and pre-ordered at my area FLGS when I first saw it list in Game Trade awhile back. Best wishes with what sounds like a LOAD of work on this one. Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott Reynolds
Canada
Victoria
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the update. I'll echo the sentiments above and say that although this has been the one game I've really wanted to purchase over the last few years and was hoping it would be in my hands by now, I'd rather have a great game with very few mistakes and wait for 6-12 months. Z-Man's track record with producing high quality games (Pandemic, Agricola, 1960, etc...) speaks for itself. Plus he doesn't have my money for this game (yet).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mb
I'm good with waiting too. Thanks for keeping us in the loop. This could be your biggest game of the year so best to make sure it's solid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I'm bummed that it's delayed, but it sounds like it's going to be teh awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Adelson
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Well, I see the otherness of being other is otherwise contraindicated
badge
Who cares where it came from or whether it's correct or not? Certainly not me
mbmbmbmbmb
You know Zev, now that the impending release caused prices on the original to plummet and I got a pristine original copy in (almost certainly not original) shrink, you can just go ahead and cancel the whole thing now. I'm sure I'm not the only person to pull this off, and we all appreciate your help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnold Vincent Canaria
Australia
Kensington
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We now eagerly await May/June. Your consideration in informing is much appreciated. Best of luck on the efforts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mattlokk
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh my god, NOOOOOOO.......

This is the only game that I'm eagerly anticipating!

I guess this is what Michael Scott (The Office) felt like when he said

"It feels like someone took my heart and dropped it into a bucket of boiling tears, and at the same time somebody else is hitting my soul in the crotch with a frozen sledge hammer, and then a third guy walks in and starts punching me in the grief bone..."

Ok...so... please table everything else that you are doing (except breathing, etc.) and bring this masterpiece to realization so that our gaming lives may be complete

Thanks for the update Z!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
I too thank you for the update. I am not too excited about my pre-order that is going to he held up for 4 months or so (since there are 5 or 6 games being delivered with it) but life, as they say, will go on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.