Subject: Old rules ? New Rules? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks, seen some mention here of the Rummikub rules having been officially changed. This may explain why recently I've seen two different Rummy/Rummikub boxes with conflicting rules listed, and also have had some difficult games of Rummikub with people who weren't playing quite the same rules. Here are some of the conflicting rules. (NB some might be house rules)

. A: In the turn you play your initial meld, you may not play other tiles
* B: you can play other tiles in the same turn as you played your initial meld
---
. A: Once a joker is added to a meld, that meld is "locked" until the joker is removed - more tiles can be added but the meld cannot be broken up
. B: jokers do not lock melds, the melds can still be broken up
* C: jokers lock "run" melds, but not "set" melds
---
. A: if a joker is added to a set - say 2 + 2 + J , the joker must be replaced with BOTH the missing colour 2s
* B: the joker can be replaced with just one of the missing colours
. C: the person who plays the joker declares its colour, and that is the only tile that can replace it
---
* A: jokers must be replaced using tiles from your hand
. B: jokers can be replaced using existing (melded) tiles on the table, provided of course that they leave other melds still valid.
---
. A: if you successfully replace the joker someone put into a meld, you can attach the free joker to any existing or new meld you like
* B: the joker must be immediately used to make a new meld from your hand
---
. A: a "1" can be played high or low, but does not wrap around - eg 1-2-3 is valid as is 12-13-1 but not 13-1-2
* B: a "1" The number 1 is always played as the lowest number; it cannot follow the number 13
---

Looking around the internet, I expect that the Pressman "Official Rummikub" rules might be the accepted new rules? I've marked with a * those rule variants above that matched what it says.
http://www.pressmantoy.com/instructions/instruct_rummikub.ht...

(tho it seems a little strange the rule about runs being locked by a joker, but not sets?)

It's always tricky when you're playing with different people who all swear they've been playing Rummikub for years and theirs is the only correct way to play it.

edit: when I wrote the above post, I was confused by the Pressman rules' reference to any kind of meld as a "set" rather than just a meld of same numbers. (see later post)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Franke
United States
Mahopac
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I organize a Rummikub Club in NYC and I come across these problems all the time. I just use the rules from the site, I link the site to mine and dems the rules no ifs and or buts. Just use the ones you like and call em "house rules" hey at least you can xerox em to justify it. It doesn't stop all the arguments, just most of them. I love the game so it's worth it.
Cheers,
Rob

BTW I bought three of my Rummikub sets from Online toys Australia, small world huh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm how about that, I didn't even know Online Toys Australia until now, and they're just out of my city.

So when you say "the site" do you mean you use the Pressman rules?
They're certainly colourful.

Know if there's some logic behind this rule?
Quote:
jokers lock "run" melds, but not "set" melds

The other Pressman rules seem fair enough, but why not just lock all melds? That would be less confusing.

Do you know if there were any other changes between the old and the new rules that I haven't listed here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Franke
United States
Mahopac
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the Pressman toys rules, yes the ones from their site. I do this so everyone in the Club is on the same page. I have Ephraim Hertzano's book from 1978 and the rules there differ from today's rules. I've seen different rules from different set ("RummyO" leaps to mind, also the insert in the 1980's set differs slightly with the 1990's insert IIRC, add the different online rules....gives me a headache eh?).

I've been playing the game for a couple of years and have only used the Pressman sabra rules from their site. I do run in to people who played with their family's house rules for years, same with Mah Jongg. I can't argue with 35 people at once so I use the printed current Sabra rules. Oh and then there's the different variants, American, Sabra, International, Israeli, aaaarrrrgggghhhh.

I say pick a set of rules to follow and make some changes for a house rule thing if it makes more sense to you.

Yeah Online Toys has the Rummikub Club set and the electronic set that wasn't sold here in the States, shipping was a bitch though our currency seems to be doing better than the last time I looked, very nice people there. I'd like to get the Rummikub XP set for my Rummikub Club as sometimes it's just 5 or 6 of us at a meeting and I'd only have to schlep one game set. Well anyway off to bed now.
Cheers,
Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Lampus
United States
Blue Bell
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
* C: jokers lock "run" melds, but not "set" melds

I see nothing in the rules on that site to indicate this. Please show where you see this.

Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheEye wrote:

I see nothing in the rules on that site to indicate this. Please show where you see this.

Dan

laugh Heh, actually I realised later that I'd made an error there due to the different terminology used in different games such as Rummy. I'd previously expressed confusion about that strange-sounding rule, but perhaps no one realised what was confusing me.

The terminology I am familiar with is

5555 = a kind of meld called a set
1234 = a kind of meld called a run

However it seems that in the Pressman rules:

5555 = a kind of set called a group
1234 = a kind of set called a run

Unfortunate naming! But at least it cleared up the confusion of the joker doing different things in different kinds of melds.

However you may have seen from my subsequent post that I'm still confused about interpretation of the Pressman rules...
"non locking Joker ??"
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/377519

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Lampus
United States
Blue Bell
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I see what you mean. You're refering to:

Quote:
A set containing a joker can have tiles added to it and can be split apart or have tiles removed from it.

Though I think this is only the case if the resulting meld with the joker in it is still a legal meld after it has been split.

For example:

23J567 is split resulting in
23J

otherwise you must use the joker replacement rule.

I hope that makes sense.

Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll copy your reply to the other thread too ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fromper Fromper
msg tools
mbmbmb
So I've been looking at rules variants online, and apparently, there's one rule my family has always played with that nobody else has ever mentioned. When we play, the initial meld must always contain both a 3-of-a-kind (apparently called a "group" by most people) and a run. You can't "open" (put out an initial meld) without one of each.

Also, our take on joker melds is that they aren't completely locked up, but they can't be temporarily reduced below 3 tiles as an intermediate step to manipulating them. So if you have a blue 3, blue 4, and joker serving as the blue 5, you could add a blue 6 on the end, and then remove the blue 3 to use elsewhere. But you can't put the blue 3 with a group of 3s, put the blue 4 with a group of 4s, and then do whatever you want with the joker. So the meld with the joker must remain intact, but it can be manipulated.

I've never heard of the version where a joker in a 3 of a kind must be replaced by BOTH missing colors in that number to make a 4 of a kind. I have heard of declaring which color the joker represents when it's put out, but I never liked that variant.

I've never heard of replacing a joker with tiles from the table. Replacing it from your hand has always been mandatory.

I've never heard of being able to play a joker with anything other than a new meld from your hand (ie you must have two appropriate tiles to put it with, or you can't use it).

I've seen both the "ace high" and "1 is the number before 2, not after 13" theories on using the number 1. Both are apparently very common. I haven't decided which I prefer.

I've also seen both versions of whether or not you can put anything else down on the same turn as your initial meld. I think I prefer the rule where it's initial meld only, then adding stuff to existing melds has to happen on later turns.

Point values seem to vary a lot between different rule versions, too. How many points to put out the initial meld, the value of a joker when you use it in the initial meld, the value of the joker when it's in your hand at the end of the game, and how scoring works in general all seem to vary frequently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The official rules link above is broken. Here is an update:

http://catalog.pressmantoy.com/index.php/component/docman/do...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.