Hide
7 Posts

Playing Gods: The Board Game of Divine Domination» Forums » Reviews

Subject: This Game is Boring rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Elaine T
msg tools
Summary: This game is terrible, boring, and has no strategy whatsoever. If you want more details, read the rest of my review.

My heart is with this game. My dad’s family is Jewish, my mom’s family is Christian, and I was brought up secular with no formal religious education whatsover. I never went to church/synagogue growing up. I am an atheist who likes to mock religion. In short, I am the target audience for this game. That’s why I am saddened I have to write this review but I feel like I need to tell people to spend their money elsewhere. The game was just that terrible.

I am a big fan of all kinds of games. I like games like Puerto Rico and Settlers of Catan. I also like games like Monopoly. I even like pure chance roll and move games like Chutes and Ladders , if I’m playing the game with kids. So I will say I am INCREDIBLY EASY TO PLEASE!!! However, I still didn’t like this game.

This game uses dice, which immediately should have alerted me to the fact that it most likely isn’t a very good game. However, the worst thing about the structure of this game is that you supposedly have choices walking around the edge of the board about where to go. However, after rolling the die you might be able to move in two directions but often you end up having the choice of moving to one continent or the other, and don’t get a choice to pick a card. This sucks if you don’t have any cards because once you move to a continent, there’s nothing you can do if you don’t have cards. So basically, you’ve lost your turn and can do nothing. The game’s action is incredibly simplistic. There are something like 12 pages of rules for a game that involves no strategy whatsoever. In a few words the game is BORING BORING BORING.

It’s also easy to end up out of the game incredibly quickly. I was out after about 5 minutes and there was no way to be resurrected, despite Jesus having supposedly done so. This wasn’t by any fault of my own either. As I’ve said, this game is pure luck. After that, I sat watching my brother and his wife duke it out for 30 minutes. They eventually became too bored to even finish the game. Yes, the game was so boring we couldn’t even finish it once, and my brother is the kind of person who can spend 12 hours straight playing a good game and not get bored.

Some of the cards have funny things written on them. Most of them don’t. The funniest ones are on the box, which might trick you into buying the game. Some of them are just dumb in my opinion. For example, a lose 1 sect card states something to the effect of "your followers are too busy complaining about a sacrilegious board game and not focusing on real problems. Lose one sect." If you thought that was funny, maybe you’ll like this game more than I did. The expansion pack has the funniest cards. They are fun to read through but after you’ve read the cards once, they lose their comic effect. A few of them made me chuckle. You might as well not buy the game, and just buy the expansion pack cards, because that is by far the best part of the game. Actually, a better idea would be to buy a book that mocks religion. The game portion of this game is so boring and luck-driven, you’re better off just buying a funny book.

The game contains a page long thank you note from the creator of the game. He thanks me for being the kind of person that doesn’t take myself too seriously, is willing to buy a game that mocks religion, etc. etc. In actuality he shouldn’t be thanking me for that. He should be thanking me for buying a game that has no gaming concept and is boring and not fun to play. He should be thanking me for buying a $40 game that has incredibly cheap components. Now, this wouldn’t be an issue for me if the game had a solid, fun, concept. Since the game itself sucks, it would have been nice if the board hadn’t been warped and the pieces were a little bit nicer (the figures on the box are limited edition, cost $35 and don’t come with the game in case anyone was wondering), since it could have been cool at least if my brother could display the pieces around his apartment, since I know he’s never going to open the box to play the game again.

I was very deeply disappointed by this game. This game obviously wasn’t play tested enough. I don’t think the creator has played many of the highly ranked games on this website. If he had played some of these fun, highly-ranked games, he might have had a better idea of how to create a good game himself. My brother compared this game to Monopoly (a HUGE insult coming from my brother, who is an avid gamer and collector of games) but I thought that was a generous comparison because I like playing Monopoly. A better comparison would be Sorry! but unfortunately Sorry! is also more fun than this game.

It’s a clever idea to create a game about gods fighting for adherents. I think the creator should play more fun, highly-ranked games on this website and then completely rewrite the rules to be more fun, interesting, and strategy based. Or, he could pitch the concept to someone who is better at creating rules for games. It might not be his forte. As it is, this game is a terrible waste of money. I’m very sad that I am writing this review to advise people not to buy an independently made game, because I also love to support independent business and I think it's a cool theme as others have noted. Still, being an independent game-maker is no substitute for making a good game. I would love to see someone create a good game with fun rules based on this theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Runyan
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boredatwork wrote:
Summary: This game is terrible, boring, and has no strategy whatsoever. If you want more details, read the rest of my review.

My heart is with this game. My dad’s family is Jewish, my mom’s family is Christian, and I was brought up secular with no formal religious education whatsover. I never went to church/synagogue growing up. I am an atheist who likes to mock religion.

That's what you get when you paste a game onto a joke (as opposed to the opposite).

A theme, whether satirical or otherwise, should never eclipse its game.

Looks like the joke's on you for buying it and the creators are laughing all the way to the bank!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for letting us know. I think this can be described as the "Munchkin effect" - you'll buy a game (and play it once) on the strength of the jokes, but we all know that the joke is going to wear real thin, real fast.

Is there enough in the box to sustain a second playing? There isn't with Munchkin; there may not be enough to sustain a FIRST playing with this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree about munchkin. I think there is enough in munchkin to sustain a handful of games (at least 3 ir 4) Before it gets boring. however, this game is awful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galeninjapan wrote:
I disagree about munchkin. I think there is enough in munchkin to sustain a handful of games (at least 3 ir 4) Before it gets boring.

I have to back you up about munchkin. I own everything the card game created, and the jokes do not get old. I mean we arent rolling on the floor laughing, but we certainly find them amusing, and with a several hundred card draw deck, the jokes stay fresh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Hapker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Wow reading this review is extremely disappointing. I was seriously considering getting this game because it sounded like a lot of fun. I'm also surprised that the cool figures shown on the box don't come with it. Now that is cheap considering this runs about $31(ish). The box says it comes with 5 deluxe god idols what are those then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.