Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We bought a copy of Pandemic on Friday night. We won our first game, with one card left in the draw pile, and only one outbreak, on the second to last turn. It was largely luck, as we were finding our way.

It was challenging, but do-able, and we liked the cooperative play. We continued playing, with about a 50% success rate. We started fine-tuning our strategy. We tried to keep any city from staying at 3 disease cubes very long, to prevent outbreaks. We learned that as tempting as eradicating a disease could be, sometimes we had to move on to the next cure. We started to see how we could use the various roles together, to maximize the advantage.

We were feeling pretty good. And then...Game 10.

Almost all of the initial cards had placed disease cubes in black cities. LordDillon did his best to get there, but he drew an Epidemic card, and sure enough, black was waiting for us on the bottom of the pile. One outbreak sparked another and another, and we were out of black cubes. We lost on the first turn!

All that set-up, for less than a minute of game play! cry

We came back strong with two victories, but this will remain one of our most memorable games of Pandemic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, our second game went something like that. I think we took two or three turns. It started with one of us (me, I think) saying something like "Well, what are the odds we'll get an outbreak this soon and draw Los Angeles. Guess what... we did, and it was a very short game. The thing is, that's what completely hooked us. We played until we finally won in our fifth game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Vollick
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What you described might be the only criticism for Pandemic that I can come up with. Of course it's a 1 in a 1000 occurrence but no game should be lost on the first turn. Even in Chess it takes at least 2 moves to get your a$$ checkmated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hallstrom
United States
Indiantown
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
2 moves? I thought minimum was 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoever shuffled must have been on the diseases' side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fusag wrote:
Whoever shuffled must have been on the diseases' side.

I usually make my buddy shuffle. That way I can't be blamed when things go horribly wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Boggs
Australia
Midland
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Vollick1979 wrote:
What you described might be the only criticism for Pandemic that I can come up with. Of course it's a 1 in a 1000 occurrence but no game should be lost on the first turn. Even in Chess it takes at least 2 moves to get your a$$ checkmated.

Agreed. No game should be able to be lost in the first turn. Still want to get a copy of this though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Canada
Cranbrook
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to get all semantic on you, but from the picture it looks like you lost in the first round and not on the first turn. I hope this is so as a game that ends on first turn is a frightful thing. Still really sucks. Black disease always seems to be the worst with red a close second. I've yet to see yellow disease amount to more than a nuisance. Long live Pandemic! Or is that down with Pandemic! Not sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Nomad wrote:
Not to get all semantic on you, but from the picture it looks like you lost in the first round and not on the first turn.

I never even got to take a turn. We lost on the first (LordDillon's) turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Eve
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Sacuraf wrote:
2 moves? I thought minimum was 3.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fool%27s_mate
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Canada
Cranbrook
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
The Nomad wrote:
Not to get all semantic on you, but from the picture it looks like you lost in the first round and not on the first turn.

I never even got to take a turn. We lost on the first (LordDillon's) turn.

So first card was Epidemic. That's rough. Sorry to doubt your terminology. Thanks for the post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Jinxon
England
Quite Insane
flag msg tools
Stop lurking on BGG and do something
mbmbmbmbmb
We recently had two epidemic cards in the same player draw stage. :surprise:
And on another occasion we had a choice of two cities to cure, obviously after we picked the a city to cure the other had an outbreak game lost.
But makes for a good story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kyle busch

Ypsilanti
Michigan
msg tools
mbmb
I dont know if i am playing wrong but my house has about a 85-90% win rate at the standard difficulty. i think that is my only complaint with the game that it seems very easy or very hard from one game to another. oh well. we have played on hard about 3 times and even then as long as you have the medic and a good second character you are in a great position.

indigopotter wrote:
We bought a copy of Pandemic on Friday night. We won our first game, with one card left in the draw pile, and only one outbreak, on the second to last turn. It was largely luck, as we were finding our way.

It was challenging, but do-able, and we liked the cooperative play. We continued playing, with about a 50% success rate. We started fine-tuning our strategy. We tried to keep any city from staying at 3 disease cubes very long, to prevent outbreaks. We learned that as tempting as eradicating a disease could be, sometimes we had to move on to the next cure. We started to see how we could use the various roles together, to maximize the advantage.

We were feeling pretty good. And then...Game 10.

Almost all of the initial cards had placed disease cubes in black cities. LordDillon did his best to get there, but he drew an Epidemic card, and sure enough, black was waiting for us on the bottom of the pile. One outbreak sparked another and another, and we were out of black cubes. We lost on the first turn!

All that set-up, for less than a minute of game play! cry

We came back strong with two victories, but this will remain one of our most memorable games of Pandemic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Steinhagen
United States
Waconia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing, just amazing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels B.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
Corruption, the most infallible symptom of constitutional liberty.
badge
"Prepare to move out, tanks first! Shoot on sight!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! You will remember this game much longer then your xth standard win. This is a game you can tell your (geek)friends and (geek)kids about in long winter nights!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Schlupp wrote:
Awesome! You will remember this game much longer then your xth standard win. This is a game you can tell your (geek)friends and (geek)kids about in long winter nights!

Agreed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Todd
United States
Canton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never lost a game on the first turn, but did recently lose during the first round... Epidemic card on the top of the draw pile, then poor luck during the 'playing the infector' phase. The only positive is that the game only took a few minutes to play, and it was already half set up to play another round!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peaceful Gamin'
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
You found our Geekbadge Overtext. Congratulations! :-)
badge
Gaming is fun. And this is a hypercube. The sun is shining
mbmbmbmbmb
nice cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Dau
United States
Moline
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's weird, cuz I swear we've played this dozens of times and have yet to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.