Subject: Rules Clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Uncle Bob
United States
Carmi
Illinois
flag msg tools
I sent this e-mail to Hasbro - I eagerly await their answer, but I thought I'd post here and see if anyone wanted to discuss the questions.
---
Hello!

Recently, I picked up a copy of Monopoly Deal Card Game. After playing it *a lot*, my wife and I (and a few friends) have came up with several questions in regards to the game play. I was hoping we could get some official-ish rulings in regards to these. A couple of these are pretty specialized questions, so I hope I can do a good enough job explaining myself and you can do a good enough job of following what I'm trying to explain.

I'll start with a couple of easy ones though:

1.) The "Double the Rent" Action Card states that it "Needs to be played with a rent card.":
a.)Does this count as playing one or two cards?
b.)The instructions indicate that this card requires a "standard Rent Card" - does this mean that you can or cannot use it with the "Multi-Colored Rent Card"

2.) The "Property Wild Card" (the ones that count as any color property):
a.)Can this card be played alone (i.e.: as a property in a color group the player doesn't already have one of)?
i.)If they can be played alone, could I, on my turn, collect rent?
ii.)If I can collect rent, I can collect rents from different rent cards? For example: Let's say I play the "Property Wild Card" by itself. On my next turn, can I play a "Rent Action Card" and collect rent for one Light Blue Property, then "reorganize" my Wild Card and play a "Rent Action Card" and collect rent for one Orange Property, then "reorganize" my Wild Card and play a "Rent Action Card" and collect rent for one Yellow Property?
b.)Can both cards be played together to form a Monopoly (i.e.: Can I play both of them and claim they're the utilities?)

3.)Is there any kind of limit as to how often you can rearrange your property during your own turn? For example, if I play a "Property Wild Card" to complete one color group, then play a "Rent Action Card" to collect the rent on that property, then rearrange the "Property Wild Card" to complete a different color group and play another "Rent Action Card" to collect rent on the second color group, then move the "Property Wild Card" to a third, incomplete color group to keep my opponent from using a "Deal Breaker" card and taking a complete Monopoly from me, is that allowed?

4.)Are Houses/Hotels played on property considered property as well - Can they be reorganized during your turn?
a.)Let's say I have a complete set of Yellow Properties with a house and a hotel along with a complete set of Green Properties. Can I play a "Rent Card" to collect rent on my complete Yellow Properties (with House/Hotel), rearrange my House/Hotel and move them to my Green Properties, then play a "Rent Card" and collect rent on the complete Green Properties with House/Hotel?
b.)Let's say I have a Complete Yellow Property Group consisting of two regular Yellow Properties, the "Property Wild Card" and a house. Also, I have one Green Property. Now, on my turn, I draw a "Rent Card" to collect rent on my Green Property - can I move my "Property Wild Card" to my Green Property in order to collect rent on both while leaving the House card on the now-incomplete Yellow Property Group?

5.)The rules state that a player has to collect 3 full property groups of different colors to win - however, can a player have two property groups of the same color - and collect rent on both? Example: I have Boardwalk, Park Place and two "Property Wild Cards" - can I put Boardwalk and a "Property Wild Card" as one group of Dark Blue Properties and Park Place and the second "Property Wild Card" as a second group of Dark Blue Properties. I can't use this as two property groups to win, but if I then play a Blue/Green Rent Action Card, do I get to collect rent on both groups of Blue Properties?

6.)How do the Two-Color "Property Wild Cards" work when you have all the cards of both colors on the card?
a.)Let's say I have Boardwalk and the Green/Blue "Property Wild Card" and all three Green Properties in my play area. I then draw Park Place - and wish to play it with Boardwalk - where does the Green/Blue "Property Wild Card" go? Does it stay with the Blue Property or move to its own stack?
i.)Can the Wild Property Card be taken as a part of a Sly/Forced Deal, since it is (somewhat) a part of a "Complete Set"?
ii.)If an opponent plays a "Deal Breaker" Action Card, would they get to take all three Blue Properties? Or just the two needed for the "Complete Set"?
iii.)Collecting Rent - Similar to #5, if I play a Blue/Green "Rent Action Card" to collect rent on my Blue Properties, do I get to collect on both my Blue Monopoly or both my Blue Monopoly and my individual Blue(/Green) "Property Wild Card"?

7.)Finally - I *HATE* the "Brown" properties. What's the deal? Why change them to "Brown"? They're supposed to be Purple. I dislike it and would like to receive correctly printed copies of all effected cards.

---

Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Tritone

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uncle Bob,

My wife and I just played this game for the first time tonight. Obviously don't have any official answers for you, but I'll give my .02 worth.

1. We played "Double the Rent" as 2 combined actions. We assumed "standard Rent" meant any of the cards with the word "RENT" in the middle. As opposed to another "Double the Rent" card, although that begs the question... can you play 2 Doubles and a single Rent together?

On the subject of the Wild cards in general... if I had to guess, I would say you must play a wild into a set with an actual Property card (or set of Properties), and not by itself. For one, unless you memorize the various rent structures of all the cards, it's difficult to know what the rent would be on a standalone wild (or a set of just wilds).

On the subject of reorganizing wilds... I don't see anything preventing the Rent/ReOrg/Rent/ReOrg/etc. plays you mentioned. Referring to the Property Wild cards, the rules explicitly state "You can swap these around amongst different sets on your turn". No limits implied. In fact, I suspect you can also reorg the Property cards as well as the Wilds. The rules also state "You can only reorganize your property collection on your turn".

Houses/Hotels... good question. With everything else seemingly movable, why not these? However, I can also see using these as "locking" a set once you've played them... although nothing in the rules imply that. Sort of like the red caboose cards in Express. That is totally my invention.

5. Although this seems like it should be allowable (e.g. two DARK BLUE sets of one Property/one Wild apiece) I think it goes against the grain of the Monopoly game. But as a variant, why not?

The only thing I *HATE* about the game was the size of the cards. The deck was split into two halves to fit in the box, and the two halves of the cards are not the same height. Making it almost impossible to get a good riffle shuffle. Like shuffling a (magic) stripper deck, where the cards fall in "clumps" from both hands because of the uneven heights of the cards. Probably just my set. But for $5 I can't complain too much.

As I said, only played it once so far, but it was fun and it plays so fast that we're thinking of extending the game slightly. Play 3 hands, and "score" the rental value of your full sets at the end of each hand. Highest score at the end of 3 hands wins.

Or for a longer single-hand game when playing with 2, collect a larger number of sets. Five seems like a good starting number.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Bob
United States
Carmi
Illinois
flag msg tools
I haven't received an "official" reply yet, so it's all still up in the air - but after reading though the rules again, I noticed something else that brings up another question...

According to the rules, you can play a "Just say No" card when an opponent plays a "Just say No" card. Like, I play a "Deal Breaker" to take my wife's Dark Blue Monopoly. She plays a "Just say No". I play another "Just say No" - and I get to take her property cards!

So, the question is, does this count as playing one or two of my three cards?

Anywhoo, as per the length of the game - yeah, it goes pretty quick with two players (which is nice in some respects). We tried a variant where we played until the Draw pile was gone - then we added up the money values of all cards in our respective play areas (any complete property groups get double value). I suppose you could play to something like 500 points or something - I forgot what our score was at the end, so I'm not sure what would be a good score to play to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Tritone

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UncleBob wrote:

Just between you and me? No.

I'd say the Deal Breaker was your (only) action so far, and the NO card was just a reaction (Counterspell) to your opponent's reaction.

Maybe the real designer will step forward and settle the score(s)!

I hope to play this filler again tomorrow night and try out some of your (and our) variant ideas. One of the original questions you had was whether you could have multiple sets of the same color by using multiple wildcards creatively. I cried "foul" because of original Monopoly.

But I got to thinking, for sure multiple players could all have "complete" sets of the same color (green for example) legally. And if you stole someone else's green set, using my philosophy you would combine those property(s) with yours and redistribute the wilds to complete some other sets. But... what if you end up with some leftover wilds... what do you do with them?

For example, you have 1 green property and 2 wilds, your opponent has 2 green properties and 1 wild. You steal her set, combine them with yours, and now you have an all-Property green set and 3 leftover wilds... what if you can't distribute all of those wilds. Can you leave "rogue wildcards" faceup on your table, not associated with any sets yet? Your suggestion was to call this all-wild set "complete" by just naming an appropriate color... maybe you're forced to do that in this case? Or maybe rogue wilds are just waiting to be combined with Property cards on some future turn.

And finally, when does the madness stop over a $5 game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Bob
United States
Carmi
Illinois
flag msg tools
tritone wrote:
And finally, when does the madness stop over a $5 game?

Hey, at least we're getting our money's worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jighm Brown
United States
Rossville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
To add to these questions, I had another:

1> Just Say No counters a card played against you. My take on that is that, like many CCGs, this only counters cards targeting you alone, not cards that affect all opponents (paying standard rent). Is this how you all play it?

Jeghm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Bob
United States
Carmi
Illinois
flag msg tools
Jighm wrote:
To add to these questions, I had another:

1> Just Say No counters a card played against you. My take on that is that, like many CCGs, this only counters cards targeting you alone, not cards that affect all opponents (paying standard rent). Is this how you all play it?

Jeghm

Hmmm... I've really only played 2-Player games with my wife, so I'm not sure... I would assume you could use it, however it would only prevent the individual playing the "Just Say No" card from paying rent - all other players would still have to pay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Brimer
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As to the Double Rent cards....
My group plays the double rent just like it says. It counts as a card.

Our reason for this is two-fold.

1) The rules state you can play UP TO 3 cards per turn. I believe it's even underlined in the rules. Double Rent is a card. It even says on Double Rent that you PLAY it with a Rent card. So a Rent doubled counts as two of your 3 cards. This is a decision we reached simply by way of being rules purists.

2) We also agreed that doubling a rent can be devastating (ever paid double rent on a Boardwalk/Parkplace+Hotel? I have...sucks) and you should have to give up an action to do this. This is the emotional reason we chose this decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Robison
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
we play the double rent as staying with the property, such as on boardwalk, it stays on boardwalk, and doubles rent every time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
China
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
I sent this e-mail to Hasbro - I eagerly await their answer, but I thought I'd post here and see if anyone wanted to discuss the questions.
---

So, did you get an answer back yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Bob
United States
Carmi
Illinois
flag msg tools
I've had some correspondence with a rep from Hasbro in regards to this game, I'll post what I've got:

UncleBob wrote:
1.) The "Double the Rent" Action Card states that it "Needs to be played with a rent card.":
a.)Does this count as playing one or two cards?
Hasbro wrote:
a. This counts as two cards

b.)The instructions indicate that this card requires a "standard Rent Card" - does this mean that you can or cannot use it with the "Multi-Colored Rent Card"
Hasbro wrote:
b. No. You can use it with the "Multi-Colored Rent Card.

UncleBob wrote:
2.) The "Property Wild Card" (the ones that count as any color property):
a.)Can this card be played alone (i.e.: as a property in a color group the player doesn't already have one of)?
Hasbro wrote:
a. Yes.

i.)If they can be played alone, could I, on my turn, collect rent?
Hasbro wrote:
i. Yes. You can collect rent on two color wild cards

ii.)If I can collect rent, I can collect rents from different rent cards? For example: Let's say I play the "Property Wild Card" by itself. On my next turn, can I play a "Rent Action Card" and collect rent for one Light Blue Property, then "reorganize" my Wild Card and play a "Rent Action Card" and collect rent for one Orange Property, then "reorganize" my Wild Card and play a "Rent Action Card" and collect rent for one Yellow Property?
Hasbro wrote:
ii. Yes. You can collect rent from each one.

b.)Can both cards be played together to form a Monopoly (i.e.: Can I play both of them and claim they're the utilities?)
Hasbro wrote:
b. No. You cannot play both of them and claim they're the utilities.

UncleBob wrote:
re-2.) You state that a "Property Wild Card" can be played alone as an individual property, but that two "Property Wild Cards" cannot be played as a pair of properties? Is this correct?
Hasbro wrote:
2. No, this is impossible. You can use as many wildcards as you like to complete a set, but there always needs to be at least one standard Property card in the set.
The 2 multicoloured wildcards (the cards with all 10 colours across the top) DO NOT count as a full set on their own. They have to be used in conjunction with a 2-colour wildcard and/or a standard Property card.

UncleBob wrote:
3.)Is there any kind of limit as to how often you can rearrange your property during your own turn? For example, if I play a "Property Wild Card" to complete one color group, then play a "Rent Action Card" to collect the rent on that property, then rearrange the "Property Wild Card" to complete a different color group and play another "Rent Action Card" to collect rent on the second color group, then move the "Property Wild Card" to a third, incomplete color group to keep my opponent from using a "Deal Breaker" card and taking a complete Monopoly from me, is that allowed?
Hasbro wrote:
3.) No. You can only play up to three cards per turn.
UncleBob wrote:
Re-3.) I messed up my description of the events a little - the "Property Wild Card" is played on a previous turn. The playing of the three rent cards and the re-arrangement occurs on another turn.
Hasbro wrote:
3. Yes. You can re-arrange the cards during your turn.

UncleBob wrote:
4.)Are Houses/Hotels played on property considered property as well - Can they be reorganized during your turn?
a.)Let's say I have a complete set of Yellow Properties with a house and a hotel along with a complete set of Green Properties. Can I play a "Rent Card" to collect rent on my complete Yellow Properties (with House/Hotel), rearrange my House/Hotel and move them to my Green Properties, then play a "Rent Card" and collect rent on the complete Green Properties with House/Hotel?
Hasbro wrote:
4. No. Once a house/hotel has been played onto a property set, that stays with that set. It can only be removed to pay rent.

b.)Let's say I have a Complete Yellow Property Group consisting of two regular Yellow Properties, the "Property Wild Card" and a house. Also, I have one Green Property. Now, on my turn, I draw a "Rent Card" to collect rent on my Green Property - can I move my "Property Wild Card" to my Green Property in order to collect rent on both while leaving the House card on the now-incomplete Yellow Property Group?
Hasbro wrote:
If you break up a full set that has houses and hotels, those houses and hotels have to go into your bank.
[/q]

UncleBob wrote:
5.)The rules state that a player has to collect 3 full property groups of different colors to win - however, can a player have two property groups of the same color - and collect rent on both? Example: I have Boardwalk, Park Place and two "Property Wild Cards" - can I put Boardwalk and a "Property Wild Card" as one group of Dark Blue Properties and Park Place and the second "Property Wild Card" as a second group of Dark Blue Properties. I can't use this as two property groups to win, but if I then play a Blue/Green Rent Action Card, do I get to collect rent on both groups of Blue Properties?
Hasbro wrote:
5. Yes. You collect rent on both groups of Blue Properties.

UncleBob wrote:
6.)How do the Two-Color "Property Wild Cards" work when you have all the cards of both colors on the card?
a.)Let's say I have Boardwalk and the Green/Blue "Property Wild Card" and all three Green Properties in my play area. I then draw Park Place - and wish to play it with Boardwalk - where does the Green/Blue "Property Wild Card" go? Does it stay with the Blue Property or move to its own stack?
Hasbro wrote:
6. This card should not be placed with the full set, it can be placed with on it’s own with the other properties. It can be used, if desired, to pay rent or charges.

i.)Can the Wild Property Card be taken as a part of a Sly/Forced Deal, since it is (somewhat) a part of a "Complete Set"?
Hasbro]6 a. If the card is on it’s own and not part of a completed set, it can be taken with a sly/forced deal card however, I don’t imagine many people doing this as you would own most of the cards in that set,[/q wrote:

ii.)If an opponent plays a "Deal Breaker" Action Card, would they get to take all three Blue Properties? Or just the two needed for the "Complete Set"?
Hasbro wrote:
ii. Just the two needed to complete the set

iii.)Collecting Rent - Similar to #5, if I play a Blue/Green "Rent Action Card" to collect rent on my Blue Properties, do I get to collect on both my Blue Monopoly or both my Blue Monopoly and my individual Blue(/Green) "Property Wild Card"?
Hasbro wrote:
iii. Rent only applies to one set - you choose which!
[/q]

I'm still a little confused - In #5, you collect rent on both Blue Groups, while in 6iii, I only get to collect one one?

UncleBob wrote:
According to the rules, you can play a "Just say No" card when an opponent plays a "Just say No" card. Like, I play a "Deal Breaker" to take my wife's Dark Blue Monopoly. She plays a "Just say No". I play another "Just say No" - and I get to take her property cards!

This one hasn't received an answer yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As far as the confusion between points 5 and 6iii, I think that the Hasbro rep probably means that you can collect rent on either of your two Blue sets, but only one set at a time with a Rent card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian
United Kingdom
Hull
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like theres's rather a lot of rules that they've not even bothered to mention in the rulebook. Many of these questions will have come up during playtesting, so why they've stuck with an incomplete ruleset is beyond me.

I've printed off this thread in preparation for my first game, but frankly I really shouldn't have to. Joe Public's never going to read this thread. There's going to end up more house rules for this than regular monopoly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Bob
United States
Carmi
Illinois
flag msg tools
To be fair, some of my questions are pretty far out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonty
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting your inquiries and answers from Hasbro. Our family have been playing this when we only have time for a fun and light card game. Nice to read additional tips and clarifications.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, there is a FAQ now ... probably compiled from many of the questions the OP listed in his emails to Hasbro:

http://www.hasbro.com/games/kid-games/monopoly/default.cfm?p...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Momo Monkey
England
London
flag msg tools
Just to let you know Bob, the "Just say No" card doesn't count as one of three played

Q - DOES A 'JUST SAY NO' CARD COUNT TOWARDS MY 3-CARD MAXIMUM PER TURN?
A - No. ‘Just Say No’ cards are separate and can be used at any time to refuse an Action card. A ‘Just Say No’ card does not count as one of the cards you lay on a turn.-Taken from above site in the above link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john laird
msg tools
Q - IF I’M COLLECTING 2 PROPERTY SETS OF THE SAME COLOUR AT ONE TIME, CAN I PLAY A MATCHING-COLOURED RENT CARD AND CHARGE RENT ON BOTH SETS?

A - No. You can charge Rent on one set (complete or incomplete) at a time. There is no reason to keep them as two separate sets rather than combining them into one, because you need three different coloured sets to win the game.

Looks like just one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vicker Leung
msg tools
Q - Say I own a blue card and an orange card. If my friend play a forced deal card to switch his blue/green card with my orange card. Who can set if this blue/green card is blue or green and whether this card stay with the original blue card?

If my friend can set... that means he can put this blue/green on my blue to form a complete set. And then using deal breaker to get the whole blue set.

Otherwise I can prevent this from happening.

Thanks for anyone who can answer this.

By the way... Is this really a kid's game... haha... I don't think so...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom moughan
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
ahh....I love the smell of a stack of sketchily placed animals in the morning!
mbmbmbmbmb
thank you for that!

I had the same question about the houses/hotels being moved around.

Totally logical IMO. If you have a house or hotel on a set, you would want to retain sets created with wild properties cards because your house/hotel could be jeopardized to your bank if you wanted to move a wild around to maximize on double or triple rent collection on a turn.

clever.

hopefully, there is a rules update after this "additional play testing"!

I also want to add to the sentiment: $5!?!??!?!?!?! great game. great deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Athena Turk
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
in regards to this one it clearly states in the rules that ALL action cards are played into the middle so you can't leave it double the rent for each time you play a rent card........all into the middle....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kari davis
msg tools
Some of your questions are answered on the monopoly website faqs page. http://www.hasbro.com/games/kid-games/monopoly/default.cfm?p...
hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Brown
msg tools
We started playing this at our Friday night get-together at the neighbors. After about 3 or 4 nights playing, our biggest complaint was about how fast the rounds went, our solution to this was to pick up a second deck and adjust some of the various counts, for example, in our version you have to have seven properties to win, your allowed twelve cards in your hand, etc. This has made it much more fun for us, I know most of us like clearly defined rules, but I've always found that it's the house rules that really make a game fun.

Just my .02 cents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Izack Chee
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Woogaus wrote:
We started playing this at our Friday night get-together at the neighbors. After about 3 or 4 nights playing, our biggest complaint was about how fast the rounds went, our solution to this was to pick up a second deck and adjust some of the various counts, for example, in our version you have to have seven properties to win, your allowed twelve cards in your hand, etc. This has made it much more fun for us, I know most of us like clearly defined rules, but I've always found that it's the house rules that really make a game fun.

Just my .02 cents.

wow did you just make an account to post this?
most of the guys here are serious about proper rules. now why would anyone want to prolong a game? play another game if u need a longer game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Irene Silvas

California
msg tools
All comments on this post were
very helpful except for the person who insulted
someone for putting an idea in this thread.
I would not have looked all around this site for ideas
so thanks for the idea of putting 2 decks together and
playing a little different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.