Subject: Free Parking vs. Free Parking? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Uncle Bob
United States
Carmi
Illinois
flag msg tools
Well, since no one's posted on the Free Parking forum in, like, three years, I don't know if I'll get an answer... but I'll try!

So, in looking to grab a copy of Free Parking, I've found two different sets for sale.

There's Free Parking that comes packaged alone and includes 90 cards (plus extras).

Then, there's Free Parking that comes in a two-pack with a Monopoly-ish themed version of WaterWorks. This version of Free Parking only has 64 cards (plus extras). For what it's worth, this version of WaterWorks only has 88 cards (vs, 110).

I don't really need a copy of WaterWorks, since WinningMoves is kind enough to keep it in circulation. However, the prices of the two-pack seem to be in range with the price of the individual game.

Looking at this from a pure I-wanna-play-the-game Point of View and not a I'm-gonna-put-it-on-the-shelf POV... any idea if the two-pack version of the game is somehow crippled since it's missing about a third of the deck (28 cards!)? Should I pick up the two-pack if I can get a better deal on it, or just stick with the game by itself?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the original game with the actual dials for meters, so trying to counsel you accurately on the Winning Moves release might be a problem. However, I don't think you would lose much by having a few less cards. You might have to shuffle up the discard pile a little bit more, but there is a lot of duplication in the deck so losing a few of the cards shouldn't be a huge hindrance to the gameplay. If you just want to try it out and get a feel for Free Parking, and you have interest in Waterworks then go with the double-pack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Bob
United States
Carmi
Illinois
flag msg tools
Well, I broke down and bought the two-pack. The box looks nice and looks like it might hold several other sets of cards as well. Worst case, I can pick up the full set for a few bucks on eBay.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Bob
United States
Carmi
Illinois
flag msg tools
Okay, for anyone else looking to pick up this game, here's the differences between the two... I ended up getting both (found the original for a good price on eBay...)

First up, the Meters - the Meters in the original set are much, much nicer. In the newer, smaller set, they're just regular cards with a plastic numb on them.

The cards are more colorful in the newer sets, but the cards in the older set look more Monopoly like. My wife likes the look of the newer set better, while I like the older set.

Here's the breakdown on what comes with each set:
Original, 90 Card set:
4 Each, "Free Parking", "Time Expires", "Officer Jones", "Talk Your Way Out of It".
8 x 10 Points
10 x 20 Points
8 x 30 Points
5 x 40 Points
3 x 50 Points
2 x 60 Points
17 x 20 Minutes
12 x 30 Minutes
4 x 40 Minutes
5 x 60 Minutes

Newer, 64 Card Set:
3 Each, "Free Parking", "Time Expires", "Officer Jones", "Talk Your Way Out of It".
6 x 10 Points
7 x 20 Points
5 x 30 Points
4 x 40 Points
2 x 50 Points
2 x 60 Points
10 x 20 Minutes
10 x 30 Minutes
3 x 40 Minutes
3 x 60 Minutes

From what little I've played both, it doesn't make a noticeable difference, but then I've only played 2 player games...

The Second Chance cards - the cards in the new set are a higher quality, glossy and a thicker card stock. The cards in the older set are about the same construction as standard fare Monopoly Chance cards.

However! The two sets of Second Chance cards are very different! While both decks cards that have the exact same results, there are six cards that do not have exact counter-card in the other deck:

Old Style:
"If you are a girl, take a point card from anyone. If not, give one to someone."
"If you are a boy, take a point card from anyone. If not, give one to someone."
"Take a point card from a player of your choice."
"Give the player on your left a point card of your choice."
"Give the player on your right a point card of your choice."
"The person on your left loses a point card."

New Style:
"Another Player's Watch Stopped. Pick a player who moves his/her meter to Violation." (There are two of these in the new style deck, only one similar card in the old style deck).
"Day in Court. If you have fewer points than all other players, take a Point card from the player of your choice."
"Day in Court. If you have fewer points than all other players, take a Point card from the player of your choice."
"Day in Court. If you have more points than all other players, give any player one of your Point cards."
"What a Nice Guy! Give a Point card to the Player of your choice."
"What a Nice Guy! Give a Point card to the Player of your choice."

A fun game, over all. You don't want to take Second Chance cards, because you know you're going to get screwed... but you just can't help it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Fong
United States
Rocky River
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank's for the card manifest. I have both versions, but the older one had cards missing and I wanted to know what was missing.

The only problem is that you're missing 10-point cards in both sets. There are 8 in the older version and 6 in the newer version.

In addition to a difference in looks, there is a rule difference about the "Free Parking" card.

The newer version just let's a player play any point card for free.

The older version protects the player from "Officer Jones" (either the card or from the Second Chance deck) until their next turn, when they discard "Free Parking" and play any point card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Bob
United States
Carmi
Illinois
flag msg tools
You're right! I fixed the missing 10 point card thing.

And I didn't even notice the rule change...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.