Wooly Bully» Forums » Sessions

Subject: In Which Our Flocks Can't Be Fenced rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ross G.
United States
flag msg tools
Wisdom begins in wonder.
Stale pastry is hollow succor to a man who is bereft of ostrich.
Though our weekly game group rarely sees 2-player games hit the table, Troy and I found ourselves needing to pick a short one, and I suggested Wooly Bully. It had been in the library for at least a year, but I had never seen anyone play it, so last week I took it home to read the rules. I am a fan of tile-laying games in general, and was glad for the opportunity to try this one. After a few minutes of rules explanation we were off.

We chose to play with the basic rules, which have each player controlling one color. There is an option in a 2-player game for each person to take 2 colors, but the original mystery (players' colors are not known at the start of the game) is removed. In hindsight I think we made the wrong decision. Because the game encourages you to build a single large flock of your color, it's hard to hide this information for long. I think the tactical benefits of controlling two colors would have far outweighed the loss of the minor deductive element.

As I said we both revealed our colors fairly early and started to build a decent size flock. I attacked Troy's flock first by putting a wolf in an adjoining forest. He quickly covered the wolf with a hunter, and I chose to try a different angle. It soon became clear that certain tile combinations were rare or non-existant. For example there are very few tiles with forest on opposing sides, and there are no tiles with both forest and village. I managed to block the completion of Troy's biggest forest, and he did the same to me. Troy poured effort into another large flock, but it was ruined in exactly the same way as the first. I decided against trying for a big score, and settled for a small flock of six sheep. When the fence was complete I opted to exit the game early, and gained the six points for being the first player to do so. Troy finished building what he could, but that only amounted to a four sheep flock.

Final Score:
Ross 12 (6 in sheep, 6 for finishing first)
Troy 7 (4 in sheep, 3 for finishing second)
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.