Recommend
167 
 Thumb up
 Hide
1322 Posts
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [53] | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: East Front WW 2 Gamers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: evil [+] Clique [+] thumb [+] posse [+] http://thegamebox.gamesontables.com/ [+] [View All]
Adam Siler
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: East Front WW 2 Gamers Sound Off
I think that Fire in East can certainly go either way. It's important not to make any critical errors as the Germans - in my game I've already made one if not two, but that only means that it's time for a strategy change.

The pressure in playing the game is to replicate the scale of conquest in 1941, but I don't think you can possibly win after taking the historical casualties of that year.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Falconer
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: East Front WW 2 Gamers Sound Off
I am playing a game of White Death right now. I have reciently played Panzergruppe Guderian, Panzerblitz, Up Front(vs. Soviets),Mustangs (Yaks&P-39's vs. Me's&Fw's and East Front II.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Burk
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Re: East Front WW 2 Gamers Sound Off
I have a copy of White Death but have not gotten into it as of yet. I find the battle of Velikiye Luki to be very interesting and it makes for some very interesting gaming for both sides! I would like to see some more games on this battle. One of the first pc wargames I played was the V for Victory series which featured this battle.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: East Front WW 2 Gamers Sound Off
billyboy wrote:
JG53_Jaguar wrote:
billyboy wrote:
JG53_Jaguar wrote:
For me WW2 in Europe is all about Eastern Front...according to the latest studies in this book here:

http://www.amazon.com/Slaughterhouse-Handbook-Eastern-David-...



So much has happened in Eastern Front during WW2 that I could spend my whole life researching it and I still wouldn't be able to find out all about it.


Thats sort of what I've been doing since I was about 12. Reading everything I get my hands on and playing as many simulations on it as I can! Great games you have!
Nothing beats Fire in the East and Scorched Earth.


I know that HMS is working on Total War (updated Fire in the East) but I have some serious doubts if it will be ever published....we shall see, I guess.


I know I'm losing hope on this one.


I actually pre-ordered it last year in around June and then in October canceled my pre-order, I don't see much hope.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
New England Patriots
badge
http://thegamebox.gamesontables.com/index.php
mbmbmb
Re: East Front WW 2 Gamers Sound Off
I have started playtesting Stalin's War. There is an AAR of an on going game at CSW http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?7@890.ii6peTcjPY6.553@.1dd1....

I thought maybe some of you guys would like to check this out. I'm playing solo to learn this and hopefully will be able to get into a FtF game by this weekend.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D T P
United States
Pikeville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: East Front WW 2 Gamers Sound Off
First half of October now.

Just lost 7th Panzer north east of Smolensk. Two motorised divisions still trapped with several assets. (AA, art, anti-tank)

Some Soviets in Kiev area escaped and now assisting in defense of Moscow. Mud not far off.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
New England Patriots
badge
http://thegamebox.gamesontables.com/index.php
mbmbmb
Re: East Front WW 2 Gamers Sound Off
xlhrider wrote:
First half of October now.

Just lost 7th Panzer north east of Smolensk. Two motorised divisions still trapped with several assets. (AA, art, anti-tank)

Some Soviets in Kiev area escaped and now assisting in defense of Moscow. Mud not far off.



Rommels old division. The Ghost Division is dead.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: East Front WW 2 Gamers Sound Off

I got chills just reading this thread. First relevant game I played was Stalingrad. First game I ever attempted to "revise" to more acceptable historicity was Stalingrad. Favorite relevant game remains Panzergruppe Guderian. Sure wish I had the time and/or opponents for wargames these days.

Currently reading Panzer Commander by Hans Von Luck, Praeger Publishers, 1989. His memoirs of commanding the 21st Panzer Division. Not strictly Eastern Front, but still interesting.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
New England Patriots
badge
http://thegamebox.gamesontables.com/index.php
mbmbmb
Re: East Front WW 2 Gamers Sound Off
MisterG wrote:

I got chills just reading this thread. First relevant game I played was Stalingrad. First game I ever attempted to "revise" to more acceptable historicity was Stalingrad. Favorite relevant game remains Panzergruppe Guderian. Sure wish I had the time and/or opponents for wargames these days.

Currently reading Panzer Commander by Hans Von Luck, Praeger Publishers, 1989. His memoirs of commanding the 21st Panzer Division. Not strictly Eastern Front, but still interesting.



First game I ever completely redid was also Stalingrad. I made all new counters with an updated historical OB and I used the Drang Nach Osten! CRT. Used some armour effects rules Europa style and added a second movement phase and some other stuff. It actually played real well what with all the plagiarizing I did.
Funny you mention Panzergruppe Guderian. Its sitting on my kitchen table a mint copy still in the shrinkwrap!

ps I used to own that book too. I'm not sure where it went.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: East Front WW 2 Gamers Sound Off
billyboy wrote:

First game I ever completely redid was also Stalingrad. I made all new counters with an updated historical OB and I used the Drang Nach Osten! CRT. Used some armour effects rules Europa style and added a second movement phase and some other stuff. It actually played real well what with all the plagiarizing I did.
Funny you mention Panzergruppe Guderian. Its sitting on my kitchen table a mint copy still in the shrinkwrap!


I never did upgrade from the original S&T magazine version. Played the heck out of it, don't even know if I still have it anywhwere. soblue

Quote:
ps I used to own that book too. I'm not sure where it went.


Maybe it made its way to the thrift store I nabbed mine at.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Zadrozny
United States
Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: East Front WW 2 Gamers Sound Off
My favorite area of history/gaming by a country mile.

Books I can recommend without reservation:

History of Grossdeutschland (3 volumes) by Helmuth Spaeter
Glantz's Battle of Kursk
Road to Stalingrad/Berlin (2 volumes) by John Erickson
Angriff (awesome new picture history of Stalingrad) by Jason Mark

Best game experience ever was playing The Guards Counterattack scenario from the original Squad Leader; gave for me the gritty feel of Stalingrad street fighting.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Siler
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: East Front WW 2 Gamers Sound Off
MisterG wrote:

I got chills just reading this thread. First relevant game I played was Stalingrad. First game I ever attempted to "revise" to more acceptable historicity was Stalingrad. Favorite relevant game remains Panzergruppe Guderian. Sure wish I had the time and/or opponents for wargames these days.

Currently reading Panzer Commander by Hans Von Luck, Praeger Publishers, 1989. His memoirs of commanding the 21st Panzer Division. Not strictly Eastern Front, but still interesting.


The new Barbarossa: Kiev to Rostov reuses the artwork from Panzergruppe Guderian. Now there is a series I'd like to get in to!

I wasn't a fan of that book though. I liked Kurt Meyer's better and I feel like he was more honest. Hans von Luck seems like half the book was written to make you think that he was a good guy, while Meyer at least admits that he is totally unreconstructed. At the very least, Meyer's has good (graphic) battle scenes in it.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
New England Patriots
badge
http://thegamebox.gamesontables.com/index.php
mbmbmb
Re: East Front WW 2 Gamers Sound Off
If I remember correctly (its been a long time) didn't Hans Luck end up in a Russian POW camp until about 1955?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: East Front WW 2 Gamers Sound Off
billyboy wrote:
If I remember correctly (its been a long time) didn't Hans Luck end up in a Russian POW camp until about 1955?


Hmmm...I have the book at home but I'm at work now...I could be wrong but I think it was 1950...and Erich Hartmann until 1955, I could be wrong though!

I checked Wikipedia, but there is no year:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_von_Luck

I love Panzer Commander book, great stuff!!!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: East Front WW 2 Gamers Sound Off
billyboy wrote:
If I remember correctly (its been a long time) didn't Hans Luck end up in a Russian POW camp until about 1955?


1950, according to Von Luck.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D T P
United States
Pikeville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: East Front WW 2 Gamers Sound Off
Second half of November.

Several German motorised units destroyed or badly depleted. A second panzer division (10th) lost in fighting near Moscow. Heavy fighting in the rough country northwest of Moscow. Many German infantry divisions lost or reduced. Leningrad isolated. Large concentration of Soviet units in Tula area preparing to counterattack Germans west of Moscow.

Kiev taken. (finally) Heavy Soviet losses near Kharkov. German infantry across Dnepr in multiple places. Stalino in hands of German panzers.

Mud causing serious supply problems for advance German units. Outlook for the German army looks bleak.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antony Cattrall
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Re: East Front WW 2 Gamers Sound Off
If i only had time to play all these great east front games i started when i was about 13 but i still love the russian front by avalon hill i have a regular opponent and we are playing one now but it would be good to get a computer version to play online!!!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
New England Patriots
badge
http://thegamebox.gamesontables.com/index.php
mbmbmb
Re: East Front WW 2 Gamers Sound Off
ketch1 wrote:
If i only had time to play all these great east front games i started when i was about 13 but i still love the russian front by avalon hill i have a regular opponent and we are playing one now but it would be good to get a computer version to play online!!!



I love Russian Front. Its the best Corps/Army level game on the EastFront IMO. I just downloaded and printed out map extensions for it. They look real nice. They are available on CSW.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
New England Patriots
badge
http://thegamebox.gamesontables.com/index.php
mbmbmb
Re: East Front WW 2 Gamers Sound Off
xlhrider wrote:
Second half of November.

Several German motorised units destroyed or badly depleted. A second panzer division (10th) lost in fighting near Moscow. Heavy fighting in the rough country northwest of Moscow. Many German infantry divisions lost or reduced. Leningrad isolated. Large concentration of Soviet units in Tula area preparing to counterattack Germans west of Moscow.

Kiev taken. (finally) Heavy Soviet losses near Kharkov. German infantry across Dnepr in multiple places. Stalino in hands of German panzers.

Mud causing serious supply problems for advance German units. Outlook for the German army looks bleak.



Your really making me want to play this. Keep the reports coming!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Siler
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: East Front WW 2 Gamers Sound Off
All indications are that L2's updated Russian Front and Russia Besieged are very close to each other, so I'm not fretting that the former is sold out.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
New England Patriots
badge
http://thegamebox.gamesontables.com/index.php
mbmbmb
Re: East Front WW 2 Gamers Sound Off
I have 2 different EastFront games going. Red Star Rising: The War in Russia, 1941-1944 I just started the Barbarossa scenario tonight live on vassal. I'm playing the Germans. After 2 turns its looking pretty cool. My opponent is trying a forward defense,I'm up to Orsha and the Dnepr on the Central Front. Just shy of Uman in the South. In the North I'm between Dvina and Pskov.

My 2nd game is a playtest of Stalin's War. I'm defending Mother Russia in another Barbarossa invasion. I'm holding a Volkov- Smolensk- Dnepr line at the moment. Lots of Eastfront carnage going on tonight!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antony Cattrall
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Re: East Front WW 2 Gamers Sound Off
CSW?? i have also got the map extensions now we have just got to get some good card to put them on and add to our games we have 2 each one unpunched ready for when we retire in 20 years lol !
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Swenholt
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: East Front WW 2 Gamers Sound Off
I have a Scorched Earth campaign underway in the gameroom. Gametime is November 1942. German are strong in the South with Army Group Center's left just west of Tula. The line extends southeast along the Don and bends back to Taganrog. Soviets are in a contiguous fort line along the entire front except for the Don bend itself. Guards + NKVD have held Rostov against all attacks.

A major Soviet attack out of the Valdai Hills in late summer/autumn 1942 trampled over a screening force connecting AGC and Army Group North and Soviet forces are now on the headwaters of the Beresina. Soviet RR engineers are struggling to keep up. AGN's right flank is crumpling up as the Valdai Front drives past. Soviet attempts at an offensive in the Don bend have essentially gone nowhere. Very interesting decisions upcoming for the German player.

We've documented all losses and replacement point usage meticulously in an Excel workbook and have a fair number of pictures. I'll publish an analysis of loss and relative strength ratios when we're done if that's of any interest.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D T P
United States
Pikeville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: East Front WW 2 Gamers Sound Off
mark.gamer wrote:
I have a Scorched Earth campaign underway in the gameroom. Gametime is November 1942. German are strong in the South with Army Group Center's left just west of Tula. The line extends southeast along the Don and bends back to Taganrog. Soviets are in a contiguous fort line along the entire front except for the Don bend itself. Guards + NKVD have held Rostov against all attacks.

A major Soviet attack out of the Valdai Hills in late summer/autumn 1942 trampled over a screening force connecting AGC and Army Group North and Soviet forces are now on the headwaters of the Beresina. Soviet RR engineers are struggling to keep up. AGN's right flank is crumpling up as the Valdai Front drives past. Soviet attempts at an offensive in the Don bend have essentially gone nowhere. Very interesting decisions upcoming for the German player.

We've documented all losses and replacement point usage meticulously in an Excel workbook and have a fair number of pictures. I'll publish an analysis of loss and relative strength ratios when we're done if that's of any interest.


I also have Scorched Earth set up and I am also giving an ongoing account of the game. (see above) Though I have not tracked losses. My game is currently in November of 41.
Keep your reports coming and I'll do the same. I'm very interested in observing your play.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
New England Patriots
badge
http://thegamebox.gamesontables.com/index.php
mbmbmb
Re: East Front WW 2 Gamers Sound Off
I was wondering awhile back why we couldn't get some ongoing threads on topics of interest and keep them going.Maybe thats what we have going on here. I F#@%ing love Eastfront games and books!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [53] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.