Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Parker
United States
Redding
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played this game several times without knowing you could only send one ship from any given player to each port on each day of trading. The games went great everyone had a good time and the scores were close.

Then some half wit (me) reread the rules and found out we had been doing it wrong all along. The group seemed confounded why Herr Knizia would put this stranglehold on decision making into the game. It seems the bonus's would be very tough indeed to obtain and would curtail enthusiasm for given ships as the day wore on.

The group while willing to try it correctly the next time already has its collective mind made up to house rule this rule to the "corn field".

Just interested what others thoughts are regarding this restrictive "rule".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kearon
United Kingdom
Cardiff
Wales
flag msg tools
badge
I managed to miss this rule too, and in our first four plays we merrily sent ships to any port we liked. Now we play it by the published rules.

Has correcting our mistake improved things? Perhaps. You no longer have situations where one player monopolises ship scoring at a port, and it is now a little easier to predict some bids - especially when a ship has only one type of goods.

I could play it either way, but the correct rules seem to dampen down wild swings of fortune.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We got the rule wrong our first play tonight. I was wondering why it was so easy to hit the bonus in the wares but not in scrolls. I think the game will play better if players can't send two-three ships to one port. There should be more meaningful decisions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Collins
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
We played our first game tonight (my wife having found the game cheap in The Works, a remaindered book chain), and we got this rule right. I certainly felt it added to the decision-making - trying to decide whether to use your once-per-round chance to bring a ship into Rome (for example), or passing it up to wait for a better one.

And it didn't make it impossible to achieve the bonus 5/10/15 scores - but it made it a non-trivial goal to achieve, which is exactly as it should be.

I think restricting players to one ship in each port per round makes it a tighter, more interesting and challenging game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.