Popular Tags: [View All]
Kwanchai Moriya
United States
Monrovia
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who don’t know, Slapshot (and its various incarnations: Power Play, Phantoms of the Ice, etc.) is a light hockey-themed card game that works great with lots of players (up to 10). A player takes on the role of manager of a hockey team and must battle other managers’ teams to make it to the playoffs. It’s good light fun for a crowd, especially if people get into it and/or there’s a prize for the champion. And apparently it’s a popular event at the World Boardgaming Championships.

There are a few games that have I’ve always wanted to try my hand at redesigning, whether because I wanted to try out a new theme or change up the artwork or design. And I’ve always thought it would fun to redesign Slapshot, replacing the original players with iconic characters from various genres. That idea turned into a full redesign project of all the player cards, game board, etc. I’ve named my little redesign, "Super Slapshot." Some of the illustrations are a bit wonky, and I’m sure I missed a thing or two, but overall I like how it turned out. And, except for a few minor streamlining tweaks, the actual game system itself is identical to the original game; no numbers or special powers have been changed. Just the characters have been changed, so instead of characters like "Friar Puck" and "Napoleon Bonapuck," there’s "Wolverine" and "Albus Dumbledore," etc. I’ve combined player cards, rules, and special powers from all the different versions of Slapshot, including Power Play, Phantoms of the Ice, etc. So, Super Slapshot is not identical to any single version of Slapshot.

The Super Slapshot PDF contains 84 player cards, a game board, a box cover design, scorecards, and rules. I’ve also included a page of "player card backs," for those who want to put in that extra effort. To assemble your own game, just print out the 11 pages of player cards onto thick paper (or print them onto regular paper and mount that onto cardstock) and cut them out. Then print out the game board and mount it onto matte board. Then all you need is a bunch of friends (the more the merrier with this one), a die, and some player markers and you’re set to go.

You can find the PDF here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/40498

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
Nice stuff!

I look forward to checking this out more closely another time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bo Link
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just took advantage of the ArtsCow's deck o' cards special to have this printed up. Hopefully it turns out nice. I can provide a link to my album if anyone is interested. The deal ends on 3/15.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Kwanchai!

Anyone know of any card sleeves that fit smaller cards like these?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Toltesi
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Calgary Wargamer!
badge
So many games...so little time!
mbmbmbmbmb
Almalik wrote:
Thanks Kwanchai!

Standard Magic CCG cards work just fine for sleeving my cards from Artscow.

Bye the way, fantastic rework of the game! I just played a series of games with my 5 year old daughter, who loved it except for the few "scary" players!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwanchai Moriya
United States
Monrovia
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
toltesi wrote:
Almalik wrote:
Thanks Kwanchai!

Standard Magic CCG cards work just fine for sleeving my cards from Artscow.

Bye the way, fantastic rework of the game! I just played a series of games with my 5 year old daughter, who loved it except for the few "scary" players!

I'm very happy your family enjoyed it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How does one go about extracting each card from the pdf to a JPEG format? If someone made an artscow deck, can you share the link to your gallery please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
ralpher wrote:
How does one go about extracting each card from the pdf to a JPEG format? If someone made an artscow deck, can you share the link to your gallery please?

Kwanchai posted the link to an artscow album here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/40596/item/892512#item...

As for how to extra cards from a pdf, one way to do it, if you don't have software to save a pdf as png files, would be to zoom in on one or more cards, hit the Print Screen button and then paste into the image editor for your choice, crop from there, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McGregor
United States
Flushing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently placed an Artscow order for this game. I used Kwanchai Moriya Artscow album to make 2 decks with the extra cards being used for "blanks" to make custom cards. I also printed the board on a mouse pad. Overall the cards exceeded my expectation. Excellent art work and Artscow did a great job.

Thank you to Kwanchai for an excellent version of a fun little game.

Deck 1: http://www.artscow.com/share/Super-Slap-Shot-Deck-1-048k9edv...

Deck 2: http://www.artscow.com/share/Super-Slap-Shot-Deck-2-3ez96cki...

Board: http://www.artscow.com/share/Super-Slap-Shot-Board-9m6fji5zg...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Wark
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Great job with the redesign, love the character selections and the artwork.

Is there any existing version with as many cards as this? 84 players?

Thanks for your dedication and hardwork, just wanted you to know that people are still looking at - and printing copies.

Jer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerald Block
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just placed my order! Thanks much!!

Jerald

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Voge III
United States
Gwynn Oak
Maryland
flag msg tools
Check out my podcast at www.thepartygamecast.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got one, very cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Brimer
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These cards when printed at actual size are slightly smaller than normal CCG sized cards, however, a dab of glue/strip of tape/swipe of glue stick will hold them firmly in place to a standard sized card so they can be sleeved properly. Of course if a little sliding around doesn't bother you, the adhesive step can be skipped entirely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What might be fun is using Hockey Trading Cards, like Upper Deck. Gives you the entire league to choose from, are printed on nice card stock, and easily replaceable. Slip them into 3 different colored, opaque sleeves and you are good to go. Of course, you'd have to mark them with ratings...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.