Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Skip-bo is a card game for 2-6 players where runs of 1-12 are made, and Skip-bo cards are wild. The object is to be the first person to play all of the cards in your stock pile.

Contents

162 cards (12 each of 1-12 and 18 Skip-bo cards)

Instructions

The cards are color coded to show tiers of value; 1-4 are indigo, 5-8 are green, and 9-12 are pink.

Set-up

The cards are shuffled, and a stock pile is dealt to each player. For 2 to 4 players, the recommended stock pile is 30. For 5 or 6 players, the recommended stock pile is 20, but as long as everyone has an equal amount, this number can go up or down to change the length of the game. Each player turns over the top card of their stock pile. The remaining cards are put in the middle of the table, and are the draw pile.

Each player may have up to four discard piles in front of them, and four building piles are shared by all players in the center of the table.

How to Play

The first player draws five cards from the draw pile. If they have a 1 or a Skip-bo in their hand or on top of their stock pile, they may start a building pile. In this example, the player drew a 1, and starts a building pile.

If the top card of the stock pile is used, the next one is turned over.

If a player plays all of the cards in their hand on a building pile, they may draw 5 more cards and keep going.

The player is not able to play anything further, so they discard an 8 from their hand onto a discard pile, since they have an 8 showing on their stock pile, and this will not reveal any new information to their opponents.

On his next turn, he will likely discard his other 8 on top of this eight, so that he is not trapping a card under another one. The largest strategic component of the game is deciding how to build and manage your discard piles. The best way is to have a pile of the same cards. The second most efficient way is to have a pile in descending order, smallest on top. But if your pile goes from 6-3 and you need a 5, you can't get at that 5 without using the 3 and 4.

The second most difficult decision of the game is deciding how and when to use the Skip-bo cards, which are wild.

On subsequent turns, each player draws enough cards from the draw pile so that they begin their turn with 5 cards.

When a building pile reaches 12, it is removed, and that pile must be started with a 1 or a Skip-bo again. A maximum of four building piles may be in progress at any time.

Pros and Cons

Pro: Affordable and readily available

Pro: Flexible in the number of players and the length of the game

Pro: Minimal set-up and clean-up

Pro: Compact and portable

Pro: Offers an option for games such as Rummy, if you're looking for something new, or looking to entice someone to try something new.

Pro: Is social enough for a game night with light gamers and it has potential as a good "gateway card game".

Verdict

Worth having in our collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although you can certainly play this with a regular deck of cards, it's still a good game to have around, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of the few games I just won't play. I think I'd rather play Uno... Not sure how you can call this a "gateway" game. But to each his own and I appreciate the review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kendahlj wrote:
This is one of the few games I just won't play. I think I'd rather play Uno... Not sure how you can call this a "gateway" game. But to each his own and I appreciate the review.

For my friends and family members, who only play card games with a traditional card deck, any step outside of that, getting them to try something new, would be a step forward, and a potential bridge for other games. It's a peek that other games are out there, and if they're willing to learn something new like this, then perhaps they'd be willing to try something like Jambo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, where are the cons?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In Indianapolis.

*rimshot*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Indeed. Use 3 52 card decks, Kings and Jokers are wild.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DancerInDC wrote:
Although you can certainly play this with a regular deck of cards, it's still a good game to have around, I think.

Plus I just figured out that you can play Khmer with a Skip-Bo deck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.