Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Barcelo
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
What happens when you draw two epidemic cards on your turn, aside from cursing your luck, wiping the board and throwing a general temper tantrum?

Specifically, do you enact the first epidemic (draw a card from the bottom, infect that city and reshuffle the discard pile back onto the top of the deck) and then the second epidemic (draw a new card from the bottom, infect that city, "shuffle" the one card in the discard pile and put it back on top, so that you are guaranteed to have at least one outbreak)?

Or do you draw two cards from the bottom of the deck and shuffle them together with the rest of the previously discarded cards.

The first seems to come from an explicit reading of the rules, but the second seems to me to be more in the spirit of the game. Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Marandola
Canada
Mirabel
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The First option
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
My only thought is that the first seems much more in the spirit of the rules. Also, it is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Barcelo
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
My thought is that you are supposed to draw the two cards simultaneously, so why wouldn't you enact them simultaneously?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sbarcelo wrote:
My thought is that you are supposed to draw the two cards simultaneously, so why wouldn't you enact them simultaneously?

Because if you follow the directions on each card individually, you will go through all the steps as everyone has described.

The one time this happened in one of our games, we did that and we had the greatest game, EVAH! When we cured the last disease, we ended up eradicating all four diseases in a four-player game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sbarcelo wrote:
What happens when you draw two epidemic cards on your turn, aside from cursing your luck, wiping the board and throwing a general temper tantrum?

Specifically, do you enact the first epidemic (draw a card from the bottom, infect that city and reshuffle the discard pile back onto the top of the deck) and then the second epidemic (draw a new card from the bottom, infect that city, "shuffle" the one card in the discard pile and put it back on top, so that you are guaranteed to have at least one outbreak)?

How is it you're guaranteed an outbreak? Is this your very first turn in the game? Otherwise, isn't there a decent chance you can clean up before those cities get drawn from the Infector deck again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
The second epidemic would occur with no cards in the discard pile. So, you pull a card - add three cubes - and then stick it on the top of the deck.

There is still an opportunity to get to the city before the next infector phase, but it certainly is a nasty situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
The second epidemic would occur with no cards in the discard pile. So, you pull a card - add three cubes - and then stick it on the top of the deck.

There is still an opportunity to get to the city before the next infector phase, but it certainly is a nasty situation.
got'cha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Barcelo
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
apotheos wrote:

Actually, the infector phase still hasn't happened yet for the player's turn who drew the two epidemics. The second city you pulled for the epidemic is sitting on top of the draw pile and you have to draw it once that player takes the role of infector (unless you have the forecast or one quiet night).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Kuehl
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I agree that the first option is correct. Technically the 2 cards that you draw aren't simultaneous but one at a time. Of course most people just swipe 2 cards off the top but I don't think this counts as simultaneous, thus making both epidemics simultaneous. The 2 cards drawn are separate and the 2 epidemics are separate..............and deadly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rkuehl wrote:
I agree that the first option is correct. Technically the 2 cards that you draw aren't simultaneous but one at a time. Of course most people just swipe 2 cards off the top but I don't think this counts as simultaneous, thus making both epidemics simultaneous. The 2 cards drawn are separate and the 2 epidemics are separate..............and deadly.
Unless you draw 2 regular cards during that swipe. IIRC, the rules state in the case that you have 7 cards prior to drawing those two that you're allowed to draw them both and then resolve your hand limit from those 9 cards rather than resolving your hand limit from 8 to 7 cards, and then 8 to 7 cards yet again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
sbarcelo wrote:
apotheos wrote:

Actually, the infector phase still hasn't happened yet for the player's turn who drew the two epidemics. The second city you pulled for the epidemic is sitting on top of the draw pile and you have to draw it once that player takes the role of infector (unless you have the forecast or one quiet night).

I knew this was true! I looked at my message for a while and knew something was wrong with it, but some lizard part of my brain insisted I continue in pressing my incorrect will on the masses. Thanks for the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.