19 Posts

Age of Conan: The Strategy Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: timing for playing 'before a contest' kingdom cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexandre Bernatchez
Canada
flag msg tools
I played my first game yesterday and I have only ONE thing that bugs me.

given that:
Quote:
CONTESTS - SUMMARY
Every contest involves the following sequence of steps:
1) Attacker declares if he plays a strategy card.
2) Defender declares if he plays a strategy card.
3) Attacker reveals his card (if any).
4) Defender reveals his card (if any).
5) Attacker rolls contest dice (and decides if he wants to spend a sorcery token to re-roll).
6) Defender rolls contest dice (and decides if he wants to spend a sorcery token to re-roll).
7) Successes are compared to determine the winner of the contest. In case of a tie, the defender wins.
NOTES:
- At any point during the sequence, either player may use a play-on-the-table kingdom card or an instant kingdom card which, as specified by its text, is usable in that moment.
- When Conan is present in a contest and the Conan player is involved, the player adds one die to the roll (up to six) and counts all results of HIT+CONAN as two successes.
- When Conan is in a neutral province attacked by a non- Conan player, the defender adds one die to the roll (up to six) and counts all results of HIT+CONAN as two successes.

Ok I know how to handle the strategy cards timing but

What's the exact timing on playing the kingdom cards 'before a contest' ?

Is it at the same time as strategy cards? (step 1)

Can I for example declare that I will play a strategy card and then play one strategy card and two 'before a contest' kingdom cards when at the step when we reveal our cards?

But a kingdom card is not a strategy card so I wasn't sure.

edit: Also if it's at the same time that you play them I suppose you resolve the attacker kingdom cards first?

for example:

A turan army attacks a 5 army Aquilonia

the Turan player (attacker) wants to play the 'Immortals' kingdom card which limits the dice rolled by the opponent to 3 max.

but the Aquilonia player plays a card that adds a dice to his contest roll (don't remember if there's a card that does this)

does the Aquilonia player twrows 3 dices or 4 dices ?

or if Aquilonia is the Conan player and Conan is present will he throw
3 + 1 = 4 dices
or 3 dices due to the immortals?

I hope my questions are clear

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Humpert
United States
Dillsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The contest would truly begin in Step 5, after which no more "Before Contest" cards can be played or activated.

It seems like there should be an extra step:

4.5) Players have one last chance to play "Before Contest" Kingdom cards before the contest begins.

Overruled by the designer below.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Camas
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
- At any point during the sequence, either player may use a play-on-the-table kingdom card or an instant kingdom card which, as specified by its text, is usable in that moment.
- When Conan is present in a contest and the Conan player is involved, the player adds one die to the roll (up to six) and counts all results of HIT+CONAN as two successes.
- When Conan is in a neutral province attacked by a non- Conan player, the defender adds one die to the roll (up to six) and counts all results of HIT+CONAN as two successes.

Kingdom cards may be played at any time as you described in the notes. In your case, your card (Immortals) is a limiting card. It doesn't matter how many extra dice your opponent can add to the contest or even if Conan adds a die, they are "limited" to rolling 3 maximum. So, even if they add more dice after you play Immortals, it doesn't change the fact that they're still limited to rolling 3 dice max.

Also, be sure to read the Kingdom cards carefully. There are many that are only allowed "during your turn", so an opponent may not be able to play them in response since it's not their turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He's asking about where exactly "before a contest" would fall in Roberto's sequence. I think it's a good question, and a case could be made for either before step 1 or before step 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Bernatchez
Canada
flag msg tools
Quote:
He's asking about where exactly "before a contest" would fall in Roberto's sequence. I think it's a good question, and a case could be made for either before step 1 or before step 5.

Thanks for clarifying sphere that's exactly what i meant...

It can have a pretty big impact on the outcome of a battle depending if you play them before step 1 or step 5. (step 6 for the defender?)

Because then the defender could still react to what was thrown to him by the attacker...

So is it:

- Before step 1 in any order (attacker, defender) you can respond to what the other played
- you can play them up until step 5 or 6 (depending if you're the attacker or the defender)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
All the steps listed are part of the contest, so you should play "Before the Contest" cards before step 1.

The order is still attacker first, then the defender, alternating declarations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Bernatchez
Canada
flag msg tools
Thanks Roberto for the quick response that clarifies everything

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's worth putting together in one place, so here it is:

CONTESTS - SUMMARY
1) Attacker declares if he plays any 'before a contest' kingdom cards.
2) Defender declares if he plays any 'before a contest' kingdom cards.
3) Attacker declares if he plays a strategy card.
4) Defender declares if he plays a strategy card.
5) Attacker reveals his card (if any).
6) Defender reveals his card (if any).
7) Attacker rolls contest dice (and decides if he wants to spend a sorcery token to re-roll).
8) Defender rolls contest dice (and decides if he wants to spend a sorcery token to re-roll).
9) Successes are compared to determine the winner of the contest. In case of a tie, the defender wins.
NOTES:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Bernatchez
Canada
flag msg tools
But you can play more than one kingdom card in one contest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
juggernaut2009 wrote:
But you can play more than one kingdom card in one contest?

Yes, I edited the summary to make that more clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Ruf
Germany
Kaiserslautern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the timing summary in any way official, as it isn't part of the English rules? They don't even tell you to play strategy cards face down - not that it matters as much as in WotR, where effects are more varied and may cancel each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Niko Ruf wrote:
Is the timing summary in any way official, as it isn't part of the English rules?

Roberto is the game's designer, and the final authority on rules questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Ruf
Germany
Kaiserslautern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, but he didn't create the summary, nor does the official errata adress timing in that much detail. I just can't figure out where the additional info in the summary comes from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The Contest summary mostly comes from the original master text used for the translation of the various versions of the rules.
Sphere kindly updated it based on my answers, so it's as "official" as it can be without being inside a copy of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Schlueter
Germany
flag msg tools
How long last the effect of a "play before a contest" kingdom card?

Example: I am involved as the attacker in a siege and at the end of the siege I decide to fight another siege. Are the kingdom cards of the previous round still in effect or do I have to play new kingdom cards each round of the battle? If yes, this seems to me like a forced march - without eliminating a figure each round.

I do own the german version and while it has a 32-page rulebook, there are no information how long card effects last or what you have to do (or can do) when a fight goes on for several rounds. It is just "another fight starts".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Rose
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BerndDui wrote:
How long last the effect of a "play before a contest" kingdom card?

They are only in effect for a single contest. Although a siege or battle can continue for several contests (or rounds), the "play-before-a-contest" kingdom card is only good for that contest roll. Thus, determing which contest during a battle or siege you will use a particular "play-before-a-contest" kingdom cards requires a bit of strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Ruf
Germany
Kaiserslautern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cybernex wrote:
The Contest summary mostly comes from the original master text used for the translation of the various versions of the rules.
Sphere kindly updated it based on my answers, so it's as "official" as it can be without being inside a copy of the game.

Thanks! I was just wondering where all the extra information came from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cédric Billette
Canada
Aylmer
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:

Old thread, but I thought that Instant cards could only be played on your turn, so defenders can never play them in any contest.

Edit: Ok, apparently some Instant cards can be played in an opponent's turn. So forget it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kolev
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
CONTESTS - SUMMARY
1) Attacker declares if he plays any 'before a contest' kingdom cards.
2) Defender declares if he plays any 'before a contest' kingdom cards.

This contradicts with Roberto's statement:
Quote:
The order is still attacker first, then the defender, alternating declarations.

It seems the correct rule should be:
1) Attacker declares if he plays a 'before a contest' kingdom card.
2) Defender declares if he plays a 'before a contest' kingdom card.
3) Repeat 1)-2) until no one plays any more cards.

?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.