$10.00
Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

Entdecker» Forums » Rules

Subject: [Clarification] Placing Scouts/Forts/Settlements on Existing Islands rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Brown
Jordan
Madaba-Manja
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to be clear about the placement of units on discovered tiles. Is a player allowed to place a Scout/Fort/Settlement onto a new tile if another player already occupies a different part of the same island? Despite this being counter-intuitive (because I'm used to Carc placement rules) it seems odd in situations where a player completes an island and then plops down a Fort or Settlement to generate an immediate scoring and victory.

Is this correct?
Are there some alternate ways to place units when playing Entdecker?
Would Carc rules work/be better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Gelman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Mysterious Matters of Max Metters / Moonifest Destiny
badge
Island of the Moths
mbmbmbmbmb
GodfatherPTS wrote:
Just to be clear about the placement of units on discovered tiles. Is a player allowed to place a Scout/Fort/Settlement onto a new tile if another player already occupies a different part of the same island?

Yes, absolutely. It's for competitive area control scoring, like El Grande and many other games.

Quote:
Despite this being counter-intuitive (because I'm used to Carc placement rules) it seems odd in situations where a player completes an island and then plops down a Fort or Settlement to generate an immediate scoring and victory.

This is why the money is so important to the game! You can watch other players' money and foresee threats to "your" island, and work to forestall them. And you can save up some money and increase your options for derisive scoring later. It adds a dimension to the game, and to game tension.

Quote:
Is this correct?
Are there some alternate ways to place units when playing Entdecker?
Would Carc rules work/be better?

I don't know of alternate ways and, for an opinion, am not interested in trying it in Carcassone rules. There are well-received variants to (old) Entdecker (see files), which helped the development of the sequel. In fact, many people confuse this game with the sequel, Entdecker: Exploring New Horizons, but that one doesn't use Carc type scoring either.

I hope you enjoy this game and well as Carcassone! When someone else has to roll for money and they roll a six, meaning you get seven Doubloons, throw them up in the air and cheer! Because money means island scoring power!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.