John Greenwood
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Euphrat and Tigris Card Game

Players were Jeff, Randy and myself.

It was learning game for both Jeff and Randy. Jeff had a little familiarity with the rules of the boardgame but it was all new for Randy. If anything, the card game is a great way to be a stepping stone before introducing the boardgame. Its easier to get some people to sit down to a “card game” and by the time you’ve finished going through all the rules, they’ll pretty much have 80-90 percent of the boardgame concepts down. After going through all the conflict rules and special abilities of the leaders, ships, etc., I think Randy said something to the effect of that he wasn’t expecting all that when he agreed to a “card game.” After that we started the game.

In the card game, if one of the cards in your hand is red, it seems the optimal starting move is to place your green trader on a treasure card, then connect that kingdom to another treasure card and collect one of the treasures. Randy and Jeff caught onto that very quickly. Well, at least it gets things started.

I remember Randy started some internal conflicts against me fairly quickly. Some of them I won, and some of them I lost. I eventually was able to set up a blue-green ship in one of my kingdoms and I had my blue, green and black leaders situated there. There were many turns where I was able to get blue, black and green points all in one turn. We played with hidden victory point stacks and I had this sense that red was my weakest color, but I was having a hard time getting red points because I was having a hard time drawing red cards. One of the notable actions in the game was when Jeff initiated an external conflict that put Randy and I at odds with each other along with one conflict in red between Jeff and I. I luckily won the conflicts with Randy but that resulted in the kingdom breaking up and short circuiting the conflict between Jeff and I. The game was finally ended by Randy collecting the second to last treasure card.

As I went through my point stacks, I discovered that black was actually my weakest color and I ended with a score of 7 points. Jeff came in second with 5 points. It turned out that Jeff’s weakest color was red and so if he was able to initiate and win that one red conflict that had been short circuited, it may have made a difference in the game.

I had a lot of fun playing the game. It is an abbreviated experience of the boardgame with a narrower decision tree, but sometimes that is what fits the bill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
:C.h.r.i.s. M.c.G.o.w.a.n:
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that this is a good stepping stone to understand the concepts of the board game. If you are still having trouble with external vs. internal conflicts give this game a try to nail it down for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Short
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
John Greenwood wrote:
In the card game, if one of the cards in your hand is red, it seems the optimal starting move is to place your green trader on a treasure card, then connect that kingdom to another treasure card and collect one of the treasures.

First of all, great session report. Secondly, I believe that in the card game, you cannot connect kingdoms unless each kingdom has at least 3 cards in it (not including the treasure card). This promotes the development of individual kingdoms before merging or starting external conflicts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Greenwood
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David,

Thanks for pointing that rule on connecting the kingdoms out, I obviously had missed that rule. That rule makes total sense, and should help make the early game more interesting. I am eager to give the game another play with the corrected rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.