Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack K
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the discussion thread for The M'aider Math Trade.

Why "M'aider"? Well it's going to run over May Day, and as some of you know, the distress call "Mayday" is derived from the French "m'aider" - which basically translates to "help me!", and that's even more appropriate as you're all so grateful to me for running this event that you'll be helping me by putting all of my entries on your want lists...

OK - so I know there's not really any link between the day and the distress call, but it's timely and tongue-in-cheek - so there!

Please note the dates below, as this is a short duration Math Trade that will last less than three days from start to finish!

Trade GeekList: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/41973
Request GeekList: http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/41803

Use of the On-Line Want List Generator (OLWLG) is required for this event (please remember to tip JeffyJeff some GG for his support).

OK - some simple rules - please take a few minutes to read them:

1) Gift certificates, Geekgold, DVDs etc are all permitted.

2) Gift certificate and GG arbitrage are not allowed.

3) Non-game entries must be added as "Outside the Scope of BGG" (game id 23953), "Miscellaneous Game Accessory" (game id 5985) or "Miscellaneous Game Merchandise" (game id 22104) and must include the +altname+ brief description -altname- format in the description of your item.

If you are offering an expansion for which there is no entry in BGG (for instance expansion cards handed out at Essen) and NOT the base game, please use "Miscellaneous Game Accessory" to help avoid confusion.

4) You are expected to describe, as accurately as is reasonably possible, the condition (components and box), language and edition of your item in the description. This includes sweeteners if they are physical items (i.e. not GG).

For games not brand new (in shrink) you must inventory the game's components and list anything missing. Do not assume it's complete. Also, remember that just because something is "new in shrink" that doesn't mean that you shouldn't disclose any dings. It might not matter to you, but it matters to some people.

If the game and/or expansion you are listing is a "Print & Play" make that clear in the description (and I recommend you give specifics what it was printed on, mounted on, etc).

If you are listing an expansion if you reference the base game in the description be clear one way or the other if you are including the base game or not. Do not include a link to the base game unless you are including it as this looks, in the OLWLG, as if you are.

5) Your shipping restrictions must be clearly stated and if you are not covering full shipping, you must state precisely how much of the shipping you will cover. You are not permitted to require a specific amount for shipping from the recipient and must cover at least the first $5 of shipping costs for items you send out. "Mirror shipping" is not allowed. People will offer to pay what they think they can afford, within the rules - if you don't like someone else's shipping policies, then don't put their items on your list. Any ambiguity will be interpreted as generosity on your part. This means that if you don't include a shipping policy, then it is assumed that you will ship anywhere in the world for free!

If you are not covering full shipping within your own country, please state clearly where you are shipping from as this will help anyone who is trying to figure out their shipping cost for your item.

If you're shipping and want to pay extra for insurance, without the recipient requesting it, that's your choice and that cost should not be passed on to the recipient without their prior consent.

6) Sweeteners are to be listed using the GAMEID formatting (prefered, example Hansa). If you don't use this format your sweeteners won't show up in the OLWLG properly.

7) If you've been reported as a bad trader, you cannot participate. If you try to, I will remove your entries. If you see someone posting entries who is a bad trader, please let me know.

8) Please do NOT include links to other games in your entry unless you are actually including them as a sweetener, as this is displayed in a misleading manner by the OLWLG.

9) Finally - you are expected to periodically check during the item submission period, and preferably during the want list submission period, to see if anyone has commented on your entries. People often ask questions of items - most commonly because you have forgotten to state a version, language or shipping policy - and you should check in to address such questions in a timely manner should they arise, so that everyone then has the correct information available.

This is a very easy thing to do. Just click on "My Geek", then "Contributions" and finally on "GeekList Items". You will then be able to see your items without having to find them in the trade GeekList along with any comments that people have made. You will only need to go back to the trade GeekList to make adjustments or answer questions if there were any.

Other useful information

OLWLG Guides: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/30011
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/32005 (Duplicate protection)
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/159648

Software Used: TradeMaximizer 1.4 with duplicate protection. SEED=1234567, ITERATIONS=100, METRIC=USERS-TRADING

List Cap: None

Maximum Submissions Per User: Unlimited

Geekgold restrictions:

Users may not post more geekgold than they currently have. Geekgold arbitrage is not allowed.

Key dates (all times CENTRAL TIME)

Open for posting games: Thursday, April 30th (10am) until Friday, May 1st (10pm)

Want list submission period: Friday, May 1st (10pm) until Saturday, May 2nd (10pm) - no extensions!

Results posted about an hour thereafter.

Please note that it's best to work on your want list and submit them early - you can always make changes and resubmit later. This will prevent you from being left out if you forget the deadline.

Also: Creating want lists is not the same as submitting them. To submit them you will need to click on the "Submit My Wants" button. If you're not sure how to find this, consult the documentation referenced above or ask in the discussion thread.

When you submit your want lists, you will receive a confirming GeekMail. If you don't get one, your want lists haven't been submitted. Your want lists in the GeekMail may be truncated - this is fine.

Want list submission

Submissions may be made at any time after the 1st at 10pm, but only by the OLWLG. You may resubmit updated want lists using the OLWLG any time during the submission period. If you will be unavailable during the want list submission period but still wish to participate, contact me directly and we can discuss alternatives.

Note: only errors by the moderator will invalidate the results.

Also in the case that there is a problem after the results are posted, at most it will only invalidate the affected trade chain(s) and not the entire results set. In addition if the problem can be resolved by the most directly affected party or parties, then that is perfectly acceptable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The M'aider Math Trade
If you've never used the OLWLG before, start with:

1) Follow this link - http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/bgglogin.cgi

2) Enter your BGG name and click on "Send Now".

3) You will receive a GeekMail containing your own personal link to the new OLWLG.

To use the OLWLG, see the links provided above in the instructions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the end, we didn't get 82 wants from 13 users:

# Agronox (4)
# Baldboy_1 (1)
# berserkley (1)
# bluedionysius (6)
# Brother Narsis (6)
# Domhnall101 (2)
# Emile (2)
# geschichte (4)
# jake5m (3)
# kurmuzz (29)
# Kworth (1)
# mbourgeois (2)
# nighthawk326 (18)
# sigtaulefty (5)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Official want lists:

http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/41973-officialwants.txt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Results are here:

http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/41973-results-official.txt

And here's the more human-readable version:

http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/trades-summary.cgi?listid=...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Fez.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for setting this up Jack.

Question for Canadians. I just got crushed in the last math trade when I found out shipping for the game I was to receive was $30.00. The shipper agreed to cover the first $10, so I'm out $20 (plus the game I traded away plus my shipping costs to mail it) for a game that I would have never paid that much for. I assumed that shipping would not be over $20. Foolish, I know.

Is $30 shipping fees normal for larger games like, say, Valley Game's Hannibal?
If so, I guess I can no longer request games offered from folks in Canada unless they cover shipping. That would be a shame.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Moulton
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the games I have shipped to the states have been between 12 and 25 dollars Canadian.That ranges from a group of small card games to Union Pacific sized games. But that works both ways too, so when we offer to pay the first 10 or 15 dollars, we're expecting to be paying something for the game being shipped to us. Also your dollar is pretty good right now so we're likely to be paying more than you are. It's a shame but if we offered free shipping to the US all the time, when you factor in the exchange and the extra money to have your game shipped to us, we could probably have just bought the game new.

I really like math trades and thanks, Jack for doing this, but the cost does make for shorter want lists on both sides of the border.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Fez.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply Kris. I trade fairly regularly with Canadians but can usually ship decent sized games for under $20. Somehow $30 just seemed excessive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Moulton
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think your postage is a better deal than ours, and you seem to have more choices that are reasonable. I usually ship the cheapest option unless the faster option is only a few dollars more expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y Park
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Any chance of extending this MT by one day to Sunday at 10pm? I like these short MTs, but know for this one I won't have access to a computer during the wantlist submission period.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems weird to have a "fast" math trade, but not have it open for entries until a week from now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sokolowsky
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I for one am glad it doesn't overlap the Game Days No-Ship Math Trade, which ends Monday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
It seems weird to have a "fast" math trade, but not have it open for entries until a week from now.

It's when I can do it. Even a math trade moderator has a life.

jpbartleby wrote:
Any chance of extending this MT by one day to Sunday at 10pm? I like these short MTs, but know for this one I won't have access to a computer during the wantlist submission period.

Sadly it is what it is. I can't extend it by a full day. If you want to manually create some want lists for the items you've seen on the list by Friday and send it to me by GM early, then I'll include them. You won't get to choose from all of the available items, but at least you'll be able to take part. I'll even remove any entries from your wants that have been changed so you don't get something you might not want, but that's all my schedule will allow.

esok wrote:
Well I for one am glad it doesn't overlap the Game Days No-Ship Math Trade, which ends Monday.

I really do try to not stomp on the local events when deciding to run a national one. I've run a few local ones myself and remember that my first was crushed by a big national one being announced later than ran straight over our entire event, so I try to at least leave a timing window that allows participation in both events.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anglotiger wrote:
dcorban wrote:

What does that have to do with having the list open for entries?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
anglotiger wrote:
dcorban wrote:

Because I don't have the time to dedicate to answering questions and dealing with issues that I usually dedicate to the task until next Thursday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheamus Parkes
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
anglotiger wrote:
dcorban wrote:

I'm thinking you haven't run a math trade before.

Thanks for doing this Jack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark crane
Qatar
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isamoor wrote:
dcorban wrote:
anglotiger wrote:
dcorban wrote:

It's when I can do it. Even a math trade moderator has a life. :)

It's just not a math trade until you get "helpful suggestions" from the same 2-3 people.

Every.

Single.

Time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
Follow me if you want to play wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:

His math trade. His rules.

If ya don't like it, start your own. Easy-peasy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y Park
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
anglotiger wrote:

jpbartleby wrote:

Sadly it is what it is. I can't extend it by a full day. If you want to manually create some want lists for the items you've seen on the list by Friday and send it to me by GM early, then I'll include them. You won't get to choose from all of the available items, but at least you'll be able to take part. I'll even remove any entries from your wants that have been changed so you don't get something you might not want, but that's all my schedule will allow.

That's very generous and kind of you, so thanks! I'll be sitting this one out, but I suspect either you or maybe Boomer may have another one soon enough down the line....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sturm
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
craniac wrote:
Isamoor wrote:
dcorban wrote:
anglotiger wrote:
dcorban wrote:

It's just not a math trade until you get "helpful suggestions" from the same 2-3 people.

Every.

Single.

Time.

Amen, brother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Save the drama for your mama.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still fairly new to Math Trades (this will be my third.) Can someone explain number 6 in the list to me?

Quote:
6) Sweeteners are to be listed using the GAMEID formatting (prefered, example Hansa). If you don't use this format your sweeteners won't show up in the OLWLG properly.

I've never listed something with a sweetener before and I don't want to cock it up.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While you are editing your entry in the list, click the "game" button, type in and select the sweetener game name. It will automatically insert the GAMEID thing into your entry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Nuts wrote:
I'm still fairly new to Math Trades (this will be my third.) Can someone explain number 6 in the list to me?

Quote:

I've never listed something with a sweetener before and I don't want to cock it up.

Thanks!

The OLWLG will only understand that you are offering a sweetener if you put a special tag into your text to highlight the game. See How To Link directly to a Game.
For anybody that is not using the OLWLG it will not matter. However, most people rely on the OLWLG so it is in your best interest to make sure that the OLWLG understands when you are offering a sweetener.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotcha. Seems simple enough, thanks for the answers guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [17] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.