Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Jeffers
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night we had an awesome game with the Dunwich Horror expansion. It was our first time with it, so we all decided to pick our investigators and GOO from the expansion to make sure we got the flavor.

Players:

Leo Anderson, Expedition Leader
Diana Stanley, Redeemed Cultist
Wilson Richards, Handyman (myself)

GOO: Abhoth

I loved the notion of playing the Handyman. First off, the artwork is awesome (he looks pissed):

Second, he starts with whiskey, a motorcycle and a shotgun. How awesome is that? As it turned out, I wasn't the only shotgun-toting investigator in Arkham. Diana also drew a shotgun.

Third, his focus is...UNLIMITED. Ok, that's not a huge deal but it's just funny to say.

Ok, so it was a dark and stormy night in Arkham. Three investigators have taken to the streets to stop whatever is going on from going on. I started in the Train Station so of course I had to pay my $1 for a quick ride over to Dunwich (first one in the expansion town wooooooo!) and immediately headed over to Harney Jones' Shack. I pulled up on my trusty motorcycle, not knowing what to expect, but that Harney is quite a nice fella. He offered to trade and I gladly accepted, trading my Holy Water for an Ancient Tablet which would either give me spells or clue tokens (spells on success and clue tokens on failures!).

We were all about getting clue tokens as we expected to fight the GOO and Abhoth didn't want our stamina or our sanity: He wanted our stuff. Like some deranged panhandler from the unknown, Abhoth takes clue tokens, monster trophies, gate trophies, and items instead of actually attacking you. Of course, if you have nothing to give him, he eats you (you are devoured).

Because of Ol' Ab' (as I began to refer to Abhoth) we snatched up clue tokens wherever we could get them, avoiding gate openings and monsters mostly. For my part, it turned out very well as I went through a gate in Dunwich to R'lyeh and drew an encounter that, if I passed, would give me 5 clue tokens! And I passed! That was by far the best encounter I had and it was only awesome because we all knew we were fighting Ab'. Otherwise it would have just been nice.

Fast forward a little bit, Diana has been thrown in Jail for rifling through crates at the Train Station. Leo has been puttering around Arkham, muttering something about being the Expedition Leader and thus responsible for party progress. Our first big headache had cropped up: a mythos card ("Mad Bomber" I believe) that required us to head to the Merchant District streets to pay money or each investigator would have to take 1 Injury AND 1 Madness card! Yikes. Needless to say I thought it important that I hop on my metal steed and get my handy butt back to Arkham.

I had spent the previous encounter phase at Whateley Farm, working the fields for my $1 (Wilson's special ability is he can get $1 instead of having an encounter at a location) which I thought was a TAD BIT STINGY. Nonetheless, I pocketed that greenback and high-tailed it to the Merchant District streets to pay my measly $3 that I had remaining just to keep the threat down. [On a side note, while working at Whateley Farm I hit something with my shovel while digging a ditch and asked the farmer what it was. "Ah it's just the Dunwich Horror, it's fine he's asleep and all". I shrugged and kept on digging.]

While I was doing all that, we had drawn another mythos card that required us to pay sanity in the Uptown streets or we would have to draw and resolve three mythos cards in a row before continuing ["Nightmare Pool" I believe]! At this point I hadn't had a lot of difficulty with this game, I had only fought one monster, only been through one gate and had had maybe one bad encounter so I was sitting pretty. Also, I knew I didn't need sanity to fight Abhoth and so, after handing over the last $3 in my wallet I went to Uptown and paid my sanity to the man. That's right, I paid...with my MIND. Wilson the Handyman ought to be a little unstable anyway right?

Meanwhile: Diana was out of Jail and Leo was still running around fighting monsters and getting clue tokens when suddenly...

The Old One awakened. (His doom track was up to 9 of 11)

We had gotten to seven open gates throughout Arkham and Dunwich. Blast! We needed some more turns to get stuff to feed Ol' Ab'! It was too late, he was here and staring us right in the face...and we were staring at his...eye. And mouth. Battle ensued, and the shotguns wielded by myself and Diana proved to be extremely effective. Unfortunately, Leo did not haul enough crap with him and he was devoured. My clue tokens and other junk saved me and Diana from harm as we shot Abhoth to little smoky bits, rolling more sixes than a Hell's Angels convention. We cheered, high-fived and enjoyed our first victory with Dunwich Horror.

Notes:

1. I find it strange that gate trophies don't give you more when feeding Abhoth. I would expect them to be worth 3 all by themselves, or at least 2. After all, they are way harder to get than any of the other stuff you feed him. In the future vs. Abhoth I wouldn't even bother with closing gates because the trophy just isn't worth it unless we're going for a gate closing victory. Of course, if I hadn't had my other world encounter I wouldn't have gotten those five extra clue tokens that saved my butt...

2. Loved every Dunwich card I got. Even the mythos ones that made us nervous added a lot to the tension of the game. I wanted to stay in Dunwich and just have encounters there to experience it all, but there was no way.

3. Eagerly await the next play! I have Curse of the Dark Pharaoh so we'll see if we can mix that in next time.

-Del
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gijs Bouwman
Netherlands
Bussum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Delaric wrote:
1. I find it strange that gate trophies don't give you more when feeding Abhoth. I would expect them to be worth 3 all by themselves, or at least 2. After all, they are way harder to get than any of the other stuff you feed him. In the future vs. Abhoth I wouldn't even bother with closing gates because the trophy just isn't worth it unless we're going for a gate closing victory. Of course, if I hadn't had my other world encounter I wouldn't have gotten those five extra clue tokens that saved my butt...
-Del

Well, just hangin' around and getting stuff is kinda lame. Doesn't make the game really exciting to just wait for the right amount of gates to open and then do battle.
I always see preparing to fight the AO as a last resort.

But you have to roll the way you like to roll. So, thanks for saving the world!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jeffers
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Azriel wrote:
Delaric wrote:
-Del

Well, just hangin' around and getting stuff is kinda lame. Doesn't make the game really exciting to just wait for the right amount of gates to open and then do battle.
I always see preparing to fight the AO as a last resort.

But you have to roll the way you like to roll. So, thanks for saving the world!

Yeah I don't know if we would have been able to get a gate closing victory. It would have been really, really tough. I was the only one in Dunwich that game and there were three gates up there alone! And that was after I had closed one already. Abhoth has a pretty short doom track too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Rowe
Canada
High River Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
Need to play more ASL!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Good session report, liked it. I am going to try Dunwich for the first time next week so I'm lookin forward to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.