$10.00
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The popularity of the game has fueled the demand to keep running these online games. I have completed my first game and watched three other moderators launch their own ships. So I return to begin #6.

As we have a long and established waiting list, this game is by invite only. If you would like to particpate in the future, either as a player or moderator, please sign up here: BGG BattleStar Galactica Play-by-forum Waiting List .

The tentative list of players for this game are as follows:
Corbeau
ianwright
Overture
InfoCynic
maxvale76
arkibet

A few rules governing this game:
0) SUBSCRIBE TO THIS THREAD.

1) I will moderate this game, take care of all game status updates through Photoshop, distribute all cards, and be arbitrator of any disputes. I will not particpate in the game play.

2) As previously stated, all players must have their own copies of the game as I am only going to publish card titles (this is an FFG request).

3) We will follow the FFG rules as best as possible, consult the latest FAQ as needed, and contact Corey on major issues that can not be resolved. This includes drawing for characters, secrecy rules, etc. Given the time it takes to get a return email back from Corey, I may have to make working rulings to keep the game flowing.

4) I am using Excel to randomize the cards in each deck. I will also use Excel to randomly generate a die value when that is necessary.

5) I will use GeekMail to send out all private information (such as type of Skill cards drawn, and type of Skill cards played into a check) but all other info will be public in this thread (such as quantity of Skill cards drawn, and title of Crisis card drawn). Direct player to player communication is discouraged (since I can't monitor it anyway) so all communication should be in the forum thread. Anyone can comment in the threads (including non-players) but players must discern what they listen to and what they ignore! However, please be courteous and treat players as you would be treated in your own games.

6) Once a turn has been completed, I will post the summary of the turn and the graphic of the game state in a GeekList.

7) Since the game state requires some work and Photoshop, I project only being able to complete a player turn a day, with a skill check taking an extra day (as I have to be at home to take care of that stuff). I will do my best to respond with card draws and other intermediate game maintenance through-out the day. If play moves quicker, I will try to keep up.

8) Rules are also subject to change if FFG gets heartburn over anything posted. I have a pretty good relationship with some of them and I don't want to do anything to strain that.

9) It has proven useful in previous games to change your avatar to your character. if you don't have GG for an avatar, begging has proven useful! If you can't upload an avatar, no worries. Some of the other threads have used the method to post pictures before posting so they can be identified (both in game and well after if any reads these threads again).

In general, this is how turns will go:
("GeekMail" indicates private communication to only me and "Post" means public communication on this thread)

1) I will send you a GeekMail stating which Skill cards you drew. If you have a choose in the matter, please Post how many of each type you want.

2) After you receive your cards, Post your Move and your Action along with any Applicable Interrupt (Skill cards or Special Abilities). Announce if a Skill Check is necessary. All orders should be in BOLD once finalized in order for me to execute them. I will assume anything NOT in bold is still open for discussion and subject to change.

3) When a Skill check is necessary, in player order, Post the quantity of Skill cards you are playing (if any) and immediately GeekMail the type of each. Once I have collected all Skill cards, I will randomly add two from the Destiny deck and declare the outcome. Time limit on skill checks is 12 hours before I continue the game.

4) If "interrupt" cards/abilities are played, it is each player's responsibility to declare when they want to use them. I may prompt for them the first few turns until we are comfortable that it can be handled fairly. (This will affect when I play Destiny Cards). Interrupts can be played in any player order (typically the current player has first call) and any disputes are resolved by the current player's choice.

5) I will Post the Crisis card, the current player (or appropriate player) will Post the choice. Skill checks will be handled as above. I will use Excel to randomly generate dice rolls.

6) If ships are to be activated, the current player will Post each "sector" to be resolved and Post any other decisions that are necessary. I have identified each space section with numbers and each Centurion with a color for easier communication.

7) If you are over your hand limit, GeekMail which cards are to be discarded.

8) If any choices are to be private, I will GeekMail the choices (such as the 2 destination cards for the admiral, etc.).

9) I will do my best to remember special Character abilities but I appreciate the reminder when your character comes up. I will not pause for "once per game" abilities so please be alert as to when you may be wanting to use them.

10) If we get tangled, I will rewind the current turn as best as possible. Any mistakes from previous turns not caught during that turn are locked and will not be replayed.

11) You may leave me with Conditional Crders (COs), especially in the sense of Skill checks, that I can activate when your turn comes up.

12) If anything seems questionable, please GeekMail me before Posting.

13) Any rules posted on the original threads (Game 01 and 02) are applicable here.

14) Have fun and good luck!

Once everyone has checked in and our crew is full, I will randomize player order and we will select characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Battlestar Galactica - Online BGG game session - Caprica SIX
Well I'm in. I'd just like to state that, for the record, I am not a toaster. Nor have I ever been a toaster. Except for those 10 RL games where I was, but that totally doesn't count. I haven't had a chance to play in a few months because I drove my RL group crazy with it, so the chance to play again is a great opportunity, and I'm hoping to throw some skinjobs out the airlock before too long.

Like I said, I've played a lot of games in RL, including 4 in a 48-hour period once (right when it came out, I was doing a lot of teaching!). I lean heavily toward not giving my opinion on a choice card unless it's asked for -- keeps the game moving and goes with the flavor of the crew making their own decisions, to hell with the chain of command.

Just finished up the show last week sometime, but not everyone may have, so we should probably clarify what's OK as far as spoilers, and realize that some non-players may be trolling/observing and have seen less than we have.

(My avatar shows Helo because I subbed for someone in another game, that was run in the werewolf forums, not because I'm attached to him as a character or anything. I'll be changing it again as soon as I've picked here.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Confirmed Players

USER NAME - Preferred Name
1. InfoCynic - Carl
2. arkibet - Arkibet
3. Overture - Mark
4. maxvale76 - Max
5. ianwright - Ian
6. Corbeau - Corb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
InfoCynic wrote:
Well I'm in. I'd just like to state that, for the record, I am not a toaster. Nor have I ever been a toaster. Except for those 10 RL games where I was, but that totally doesn't count. I haven't had a chance to play in a few months because I drove my RL group crazy with it, so the chance to play again is a great opportunity, and I'm hoping to throw some skinjobs out the airlock before too long.

Like I said, I've played a lot of games in RL, including 4 in a 48-hour period once (right when it came out, I was doing a lot of teaching!). I lean heavily toward not giving my opinion on a choice card unless it's asked for -- keeps the game moving and goes with the flavor of the crew making their own decisions, to hell with the chain of command.

Just finished up the show last week sometime, but not everyone may have, so we should probably clarify what's OK as far as spoilers, and realize that some non-players may be trolling/observing and have seen less than we have.

(My avatar shows Helo because I subbed for someone in another game, that was run in the werewolf forums, not because I'm attached to him as a character or anything. I'll be changing it again as soon as I've picked here.)

Seems plausible to me. I haven't seen you at any of the secret Cylon meeetings I go to. I'd remember meeting a fellow cynic...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Thingamagummy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Don't make me bust out the drama!!
badge
Panda is a Werewolf. The Village wins!
mbmbmbmbmb
Darn Infocynic, I'm attracted to him

As for me, I've played some in RL... enough to have the rules down 100% and have a decent feel for the game. Sadly, I've been a toaster far more often then I've liked. (I've been a human 3 times.) It would be nice to play and win as a human, to show those Frakkin' Toasters that the Humans mean business.

Looking forward to playing with all y'all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just checking in to say I'm ready and really looking forward to this game. I've played BSG quite a few times with friends, so should have most of the rules down. I am constantly confused by Viper piloting though, so if I make any serious mistakes there, I have an alibi at the ready.

I've yet to watch the show yet (It's on a must do list), but I think I can muster up the good old Cylon hatred when needed.

Looking forward to the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Overture wrote:
I am constantly confused by Viper piloting though, so if I make any serious mistakes there, I have an alibi at the ready.

In regards to what? We are still waiting for the crew to assemble so we have time to running through a "training exercise."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there anything to be gained from players going in time zone order, or at least some semblance of such and/or based on when they are generally available to play... I notice a couple UK flags... and I'm just thinking if we get UK - West coast US - UK we might have some serious lag time during skill checks

Personally I'm in US Eastern and generally available 9 a.m. - 9 p.m. Monday - Wednesday, and 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. Thursday - Friday, with some limited availability on those evenings (i'll usually check before going to bed for example), and sporadic but generally good availability on weekends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
By the luck of the randomization, Game 1 went from UK - Germany - US - US - Canada - Japan. It worked out rather well because it flowed around the world in turn order.

I think in this game we have UK, US (x4), and Australia. I have no problem setting turn order based on time zone and then randomizing those that are relatively close (like the 4 US players).

Let's decide once everyone checks in and sounds off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Piloted Vipers:

* If you are a Pilot and start your turn on Galactica (not in the Brig), you may MOVE to the Hangar Bay and activate the location as your ACTION. This allows you to launch into either Sector 5 or Sector 6 (based on my gameboard). You then get one more ACTION of your choice.

* If there are no Vipers remaining in Reserves when you activate the Hangar Deck, you may recall an Unmanned Viper from any Sector and relaucnh it into Secotr 5 or 6.

* If you are in Space, you may make one of two MOVES during your movement phase:
- Move the Viper to an adjacent sector
- Discard a Skill card and Move the Pilot to any location on Galactica or Colonial 1.

* If you are in Space, you may take one of the three ACTIONS during your action phase:
- Attack a Cylon ship
- Take an ACTION of your choice as listed on a card or your character sheet (for example, Maximum Firepower, which will then allows you to take 4 Attack Actions)

* Before you attack, you - or anyone else - may play a Strategic Planning to increase your roll by 2.

* After you are attacked, you - or anyone else - may play Evasive Manueuvers to reroll and decease the roll by 2 (if piloted)

* If you are Starbuck and you start in space, you get a 2nd ACTION. You get both actions even if you use your Move (and discard) to return to Galactica or Colonial 1.

Unpiloted Vipers:
* Unpiloted Vipers can only be controlled by activating the COMMAND Location as your action. You receive 2 ACTIONS for Vipers in this way. It may be spent on a single viper twice or on two vipers once.

* The available ACTIONS for Unmanned Vipers:
- Launch into Sector 5 or 6
- Attack a Cylon ship (Raider, Heavy Raider, Basestar)

* Like the Piloted Vipers, you - or anyone else - may play interrupt Skill cards during attacks.

* If you are Apollo and on Galactica (but not the Brig), you may jump into any Unmanned Viper that is placed on the board from the reserves, whether from use of Command or Cylon Attack cards. You then get one ACTION.

* If you are Apollo, once per game you may take 6 ACTIONS for Vipers based on the above 3 Actions. This may be any combination of single use orders for up to 6 Unmanned Vipers or ordering single Vipers multiple times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Thingamagummy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For a more simplified version, picture a card like the President or Admiral card. This card says "Pilot."

On this card reads:

While piloting a viper, your move phase is changed to the following:

MOVE: Move the viper you are piloting one adjacent space.

MOVE: Discard 1 card to move to any space on Galactica or Colonial One. (Note: Lee Adama does not need to discard randomly.)

When piloting a viper in space, you may take one of the following actions:

ACTION: Move the viper you are piloting one space.

OR

ACTION: Fire once with the viper you are piloting.

---

I find it easiest to think of it that way. If I was more graphically minded, I'd create the card as a Player Aid. The trick is getting everyone to understand that anything that says "ACTION" is an Action. We find it better for Roslin to not take the President's Office action space, but to use the ACTION listed on the President card to just draw a Quorum card. It's a little slower, but saves her cards for the investigative committees and political skill checks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is someone else's, not mine, but it's a good start. It doesn't mention moving back to the ships though.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/37627

I think one of the more common mistakes I see is players trying to "play" max firepower "on" someone else. That card only works if YOU are the pilot and want to attack up to 4 ships in the same sector as you (can be the same ship multiple times; e.g., you miss).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Brian, seeing it written out like that helps a lot. For some reason I managed to get viper activation and action mixed up in my head and thought that you couldn't shoot when ex-od,only during your turn. Stupidly nerfed pilots quite a lot with that.. I was playing it fine to start off with and somehow managed to 'correct' myself. blush

ps.

Wait... now I've lost that alibi. Drat angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maximilian Vale
United States
Odenton
Maryland
flag msg tools
I'm in....Brian, I just sent you a geek-mail with info...

I've only played a couple of games of BSG in RL, both 4 player, so this will be my first 6 player game...looking forward to it!

If it matters at all, I'm in the Eastern U.S. time-zone.

I'm not particulary technically proficient, so I have no avatar...I hope that doesn't matter...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Thingamagummy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in Pacific Time Zone (GMT-8).

And yeah, Carl, that's kinda what I'm talking about for the Viper Card. It would be nice to have something like that for the Pilots.

I tipped maxvale so he could have an avatar!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Thingamagummy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Overture wrote:
Brian, seeing it written out like that helps a lot. For some reason I managed to get viper activation and action mixed up in my head and thought that you couldn't shoot when ex-od,only during your turn. Stupidly nerfed pilots quite a lot with that.. I was playing it fine to start off with and somehow managed to 'correct' myself. blush

ps.

Wait... now I've lost that alibi. Drat angry

Just don't be a pilot, that's one way to solve the issue. Or be a pilot so you get it right

Either way, everyone around here is pretty helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm actually planning to try Saul Tigh this game, but that will all depend on who gets first pick. He seems to be a possible loose cannon and a lot of fun to play as. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Tigh too. I actually prefer him over Wm Adama because 3 purple / 2 green seems more often useful (purple comes up more in skill checks).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's early Saturday for Ian so hopefully he will be checking in soon. Not sure about Eliot - looks like he has been out the past couple of days. Hopefully both will check in soon before I move to the next ones on the list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Thingamagummy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Overture wrote:
I'm actually planning to try Saul Tigh this game, but that will all depend on who gets first pick. He seems to be a possible loose cannon and a lot of fun to play as. devil

Tigh is actually a lot of fun. But I happen to love all 3 Military Leaders.

The big difference is that with Adama, more people can contribute to skill checks (because most people have a 1 card in their hand of a color not being used... like Engineering or Piloting.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wright
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all - I'm in.

Contrary to my current avatar, I like playing all the characters so I pick based on whoever I haven't been for a long time, which would also be Saul Tigh if I get the choice. He is a lot of fun to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well let's discuss our first point while we wait for the 6th. Do you want to go in player order based on Time zone to help the flow of the game or would you rather have pure randomization and see where it ends up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wright
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no problem with going in Time zone order, which will be mostly random if you randomise the 4 US players. I'll also try to leave COs as much as possible to help speed things up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tenth Cylon

010000110111100101101100011011110110111000100000010010000110111101101101011001010111011101101111011100100110110001100100
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Well let's discuss our first point while we wait for the 6th. Do you want to go in player order based on Time zone to help the flow of the game or would you rather have pure randomization and see where it ends up?
Godsfrakit! Am I going to have to destroy your subjects again? I tire of the monotony. How many humans will I have to destroy before you stop sending them to their deaths? [yawn]

Admiral, Cylon Expeditionary Force
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Thingamagummy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ianwright wrote:
I have no problem with going in Time zone order, which will be mostly random if you randomise the 4 US players. I'll also try to leave COs as much as possible to help speed things up.

That works... during the week I'm on during most hours (since it's easy to check from work), and on the weekends I tend to be a bit slower.

After playing all the characters at least once, I think the characters I don't want are: Apollo and Roslin. Anyone else is fine for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [68] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.