Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris L
United States
Macomb
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you all usually ship your games when you make a trade? Do you use Media Mail...are board games even considered media mail for that matter?

Thanks,

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duffy
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Mr Worf.....Fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
Games should not be shipped via Media Mail. Your recipient may very well have to pay the difference.

Use Priority or parcel post, Priority being my preference since I can ship from home and get rudimentary tracking.

EDIT: form USPS.com

Quote:
Generally used for books (at least eight pages), film (16 mm or narrower), printed music, printed test materials, video and sound recordings, playscripts, printed educational charts, loose-leaf pages and binders consisting of medical information, and computer-readable media. Sound recordings may include incidental announcements of recordings and guides or scripts prepared solely for use with such recordings. Books may contain no advertising other than incidental announcements of other books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lo Ma
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boardgames do NOT qualify as media for Media Mail.

The USPS routinely opens and inspects media to insure it is not being abused. If it does not qualify as media, the recipient will never receive the package. The sender may or may not get the package back.

Been there and don;t want to be again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
Macomb
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Kevin and Lo,

I had a feeling it wasn't but some could argue the rulebooks as well as the game cards are "media" which made me wonder if then the whole thing could be counted as media mail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmb
Knuteski wrote:
...some could argue the rulebooks as well as the game cards are "media" which made me wonder if then the whole thing could be counted as media mail.

Media Mail shipments have to be 100% "media."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Maurer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well someone pulled it on Ebay if I remember correctly. They had their postage down to $3 and had the game posted as media mail. I wondered how they were able to pull it off, but the game made it okay so I'm not complaining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
Follow me if you want to play wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Add the fact that Media Mail is not trackable (no Delivery Confirmation, no Certified Mail, no Insurance), it's just too much of a risk to take.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Vogel
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ricomaurer wrote:
Well someone pulled it on Ebay if I remember correctly. They had their postage down to $3 and had the game posted as media mail. I wondered how they were able to pull it off, but the game made it okay so I'm not complaining.

I have also received games sent by media mail. That works because the post office cannot open every package that comes through their system. However, if they do happen to inspect your package, at best you will have the game returned to you with postage due. The only way to be completely safe is to use parcel post or higher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Brent Ward
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:

Add the fact that Media Mail is not trackable (no Delivery Confirmation

I use Delivery Confirmation on Media Mail through Stamps.com when I ship books I sell through Amazon all the time. They do update and show "Delivered" as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill the Pill
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
Add the fact that Media Mail is not trackable (no Delivery Confirmation, no Certified Mail, no Insurance), it's just too much of a risk to take.

And a couple years ago I paid for Insurance on Media Mail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lo Ma
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:

You can get both delivery confirmation and insurance on media mail. That's not a problem...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.