Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ever thought that Ticket to Ride didn't have enough randomness? Maybe you wanted to share in the innocent delight of a two-year-old knocking down a pile of bricks? In any case, the Ticket to Ride: Catapult Expansion is for you!

It's simple to play and can be simply constructed from materials found around any house. All you need to play are three things. 1) A wooden or plastic flexible ruler 2) a copy of one of the Ticket to Ride games, and 3) no need for self respect!

Here's how to play. In addition to the other actions available to them during their turn a user can choose to Catapult the Choo-choo! This must be announced in these exact words. A player choosing to Catapult the Choo-choo takes the following steps.

1. Take 1 train piece from your supply and the flexible ruler.
2. Hold one end of the ruler flat against the playing table surface with one hand and use the free end to flick your train piece onto the playing board. The player may freely choose where to place the ruler.
3. If you miss the board entirely, you receive another two attempts. If the piece hits the board at all it counts as your catapult even if you missed all the pieces. Bounces count.

Once you hit the board, all other players must laugh. Forced laugher is entirely appropriate.

These are your targets:

The rules for scoring a hit are as follows. Knocking a piece out of place means moving it so that no part of the train piece overlaps the original coloured rectangle on the board.

1. Each train of another player train you knock out of place may give you one card of the colour matching the underlying link. Grey links are good for any colour card. Tunnels have no special scoring but require appropriate sound effects.
2. Each of your own trains you knock out of place costs you one card.
3. If you completely remove another player's link from the board (all trains knocked out of place) it counts for scoring cards and the trains are returned to their owning player.
4. If you hit and move a score marker it is replaced at the nearest score as decided by the player to your left, or their left if they own the marker.

Resolving card loss:

Check the number of cards gained and their colours. Draw and lay out 5 additional face up cards. The catapulting player may now take cards matching the colours of the knocked-aside trains from all 9 face up cards. Any two knocked aside trains allow them to take a locomotive. Cards taken in this way are not replaced until the end of the turn. Once all possible cards have been taken, the player must pay for knocking their own trains aside.

For each of their own trains knocked aside, they must discard one card from their hand possibly including new cards draw. They may choose the cards. If they have no cards left, there is no further penalty.

Put any of the remaining extra five face-up cards into the discard pile and top up the normal 4 face up cards. Finally, replace all knocked-aside trains whose links were not completely disrupted and return trains from completely disrupted links to their owner.

If anyone doesn't enjoy playing this wonderful variant, then they should probably avoid Carcassonne: Jumped the Meeple as well.

For all you folks asking why?, it is my fond hope that the existence of a user-created Catapult expansion for Ticket to Ride will dissuade Days of Wonder from following suit, or at least I'll be able to demand royalties in free copies.

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And a 1 GG reward to the first plausible session report by someone playing TTR: The Catapult. Please follow up to this thread with a link.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get up, get up, get up, get down, fall over.
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
Tunnels have no special scoring but require appropriate sound effects.

I am struggling to imagine what sound effect would be appropriate to a train being knocked out of a tunnel by another train and sent flying half way across a continent. Naturally, it would involve a sizeable amount of screaming but beyond that I am at a loss.

Could you post a sound file?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it would depend on whether you're talking about a tunnel under a mountain or an underwater tunnel. Screaming should be taken as a given, but you should concentrate on the rock/water

If inspiration strikes, I'll try to post some examples.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hilarious! 2 thumbsupthumbsup from me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave DiMaio
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard if this does well, they'll release a Zooloretto catapult expansion.
....It has something to do with hurling baby pandas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MikEvaD wrote:

I heard it was Monkeys flinging excrement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Evans
Canada
Nobleton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I read the title, I assumed you were going to be trying to combine TTR w Carcassonne: The Catapult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically, but I wouldn't want to try to encourage anyone to buy a copy of Carcassonne: The Catapult. I'll only get one if I can figure out a couple more games you can combine it with.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have inspired me on how we can juice up our next session of Caylus...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maaike Fest
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
Basically, but I wouldn't want to try to encourage anyone to buy a copy of Carcassonne: The Catapult. I'll only get one if I can figure out a couple more games you can combine it with.

B>

Catacombs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jedimusic wrote:
You have inspired me on how we can juice up our next session of Caylus...

Okay, I'm going to write this up sometime

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was an Alea expansion for Puerto Rico wasnt it? I just thrifted Puerto Rico and am wondering when Alea will bring out something like the Catapult. Puerto Rico Catapulto would be a very good expansion that I will certainly get!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FNH1 wrote:
MikEvaD wrote:

I heard it was Monkeys flinging excrement.

Dominant Feces?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Maple
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I think my 11 year old daughter will be all to happy to try and "Catapult the Choo Choo" This is hysterical!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xeenu wrote:
Puerto Rico Catapulto would be a very good expansion that I will certainly get!

Yes, the loading of ships is now done in the "Captaipult phase".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.