Switch: Secrets of the Temple» Forums » Variants

Subject: Switch Secrets of The Temple- Variant Rule needs HELP! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean Tan
Malaysia
flag msg tools
designer
To those that have played Switch Secrets of The Temple. I know it could be better so we did a reboot with a variant rule the last month or so. Our goal was to eliminate the randomness and make it more tactical. Well, i hope those of you who owns Switch, i would appreciate some feedbacks. If it is good enough, we shall adopt it eventually as version 2. I will try to update or link a PDF file of the original version 1.02 rule once i have figured it out on how to do that.

Basically:

1. Development of Character’s power during game.
You will start off by choosing only 1 power card from the 4 available and place it in your Active Slot. You will now need to defeat monsters or Gatekeeper to be able to choose another power card of your choice. Place that power card in your Inventory Slot. For every monster/Gatekeeper you have defeated, you may pick 1 power card. So you need to defeat 3 to be able to access all your power cards. We have noted that this is more challenging as you will have to choose wisely which cards to start off with, either to enhance your movement speed or to increase your damage points.

Comments – I enjoyed this as it is tougher to kill monsters in the beginning and your choice of power cards to start off with is crucial. A little management skill here.

2. Movement speed
Everyone gets a standard movement speed of up to 3. You may use your power cards to enhance their movement speed. The white die is now dispensed with.

Comments- so far 3 feels decent as we won’t feel massively depressed rolling a 1 every turn.

3. Goal!
Be the first to defeat the Gatekeeper to retrieve the treasure chest and to spawn the Escape Portal. Once the Gatekeeper is defeated, the Unleashed Cards are activated in that all the players must draw the Unleashed Card and resolve it first before rolling a die (as per original rules). The Gatekeeper will now start fighting with 3 from the beginning. This actually makes it more difficult as you will need to retrieve your legendary weapon and also your eye card to take him down OR unless you team up with another player.

Comments – we have also tried with the Gatekeeper battling with 2 dice from the start and 3 after the Unleashed Cards are activated fully. This makes it a little easier for us to retrieve the Treasure Chest earlier and activates the Unleashed Cards. So far, we are still in favour of 3.

4. Sequence of Play

Management Stage
a) Draw 1 wish card
b) Switch and equip your Active Slot

Movement Stage
c) Roll only the Black Die and resolve it
- 1-3 Move the Gatekeeper accordingly
- M - draw a Monster Card
- E – Draw and resolve in the following sequence :-
i ) Event Card
ii) Monster Card
iii)Unleashed Card

Comment- the major change is that now with a roll of E - things will move faster with the spawning of monster and drawing of 1 Unleashed Card!

d) You may use one Power, Item or Wish Card
e) Move your Character

Battle Stage
As per original rule

Once the Gatekeeper is defeated, the player who defeats it gets the Treasure Chest.
However, to take away the randomness of the portal spawning right in front of him, we have decided that the player on his left (the next player) will place the escape portal at the secret chamber of his choice at the end of his (the next player)turn.

From now on, every player must draw and resolve the Unleashed Card first (as per the normal rule) .

5.Spawning of additional monsters.
Whenever, the Gatekeeper leaves a room (in its movement), draw a Monster card and place the monster in the room he has left.
We are still testing this and will report on it. You will notice the monsters will appear more often now.

Comment - latest-we are going to remove this as the chance of a monster spawning is already 50% as rolling an E also spawns a monster now.

6. Some changes and set up for the Variant Rule
a) Remove the 2 magical chimes from the Wish Card deck as we no longer need them.
b) The regenerate or move the Escape Portal Unleashed Card has no effect until the Unleashed Card Deck is fully activated, once the Gatekeeper is defeated. Place it at the bottom (this may occur when you roll an E in the early stages of the game).
c) In the event if a team up kill is made on the Gatekeeper, the player who has contributed the highest roll will be rewarded with the Treasure Chest.

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Murkes
Netherlands
Voorburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Will test it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mohamad Hamzi
Malaysia
flag msg tools
I just played this game few times only modest but i'll give a shot to provide my opinion. (pls correct me if I misunderstood the original rule)

I played this game with my family with the suggested 'trigger' rule by Dean Tan in another forum which we modified little bit. (Magical Chime appears first time when one Eye Card discovered for two players and two Eye Card discovered for more than two players. The treasure chest is placed at item's spot in the room where the Gatekeeper is at the time the trigger executes).

It turns out every player rush to find their Eye Card as personal objective and make the game very competitive and fun IMHO. Thus, i think solve the boredom of waiting for the Magical Chime card to appear from the Wish Card deck.

Honestly, I think the players (other than the first to obtain the Magical Chime using the Wish Card Deck) shouldn't automatically be given their Eye Card so that they felt the urgency of getting the Eye at the earliest opportunity and not wander around aimlessly just to collect items. ie. the Eye Card is subtly must be found for player's survival against Gatekeeper. Not optional anymore.

Details of in-house game rule we make are as follows:

Actually when we use that 'trigger' rule we didn't automatically give the remaining players who didn't posses their Eye Cards devil so that they'd run away from the Gate Keeper (if they can devil ) and keep looking for their Eye.laugh when Earthquake happens the first time, the remaining Eye Cards are relocated randomly at the corner rooms (maximum two cards at any secret chamber) so that if there happen to be two Eye Cards in that room, player can look at both cards an pick Eye Card they should own thus easier for them to find it. Also other players will try to find more deceitful and evil strategy to win the game, like shuffle the rooms if they have wish cards that change rooms location etc.

that's all. peace

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Tan
Malaysia
flag msg tools
Thanks for the feedback, Mohamad Hamzi. Also all you BGG guys who took your time to rate our game. We're looking to improve this game, and at the same time develop a leaner, meaner game for future volumes of Switch. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We tried these rules today, and they work really well.

We also used the new rule #5 (spawning additional monsters), which did not detract from the game. We decided that the Gatekeeper could not spawn himself and that we'd draw a new monster card instead.

I would suggest the following changes:

1) The Gatekeeper MUST be defeated with the Legendary Weapon and the Eye in possession to get the treasure. Otherwise, if a player is lucky and the gatekeeper spawns, he might roll a 6 so the Gatekeeper only rolls 1 die and then kill him instantly on the first turn!

2) I would also argue that the fight against the gatekeeper when trying to leave through the portal should always happen and not be random. It's too anticlimactic otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
Greece
Marousi
Athens
flag msg tools
Game on!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!
Below are my thoughts about the variant rules.
We recently played two 4players games and we really liked it. And the randomness of the game really made it shine! We had fun, we rolled a lot of dice, we fought and killed monsters and when a player died s/he randomly chose a new character. The cards where very interesting, from monsters to items to powers. The best yet in my experience

spin dog wrote:
Our goal was to eliminate the randomness and make it more tactical.
Why? The randomness makes the game fun and lighthearted
Quote:
If it is good enough, we shall adopt it eventually as version 2.
Again why? Just add it as Variant Rules in the rulebook. Don't wipe out the existing rules.

Quote:
1. Development of Character’s power during game.
You will start off by choosing only 1 power card from the 4 available and place it in your Active Slot. You will now need to defeat monsters or Gatekeeper to be able to choose another power card of your choice.

Comments – I enjoyed this as it is tougher to kill monsters in the beginning and your choice of power cards to start off with is crucial. A little management skill here.
Why make it tougher to kill the monsters? I don't get it. We really liked the fact that, while we Wowed every time we rolled an M , it was nice to know that we had chance in defeating them.

Quote:
2. Movement speed
Everyone gets a standard movement speed of up to 3. You may use your power cards to enhance their movement speed. The white die is now dispensed with.

Comments- so far 3 feels decent as we won’t feel massively depressed rolling a 1 every turn.
Don't take away our dice Rolling a 1 is fun especially when a player tries to escape a monster. Also movement 3 for all feels fake and not in theme, maybe each character depending on his abilities gets a different number.

Quote:
3. Goal!
Be the first to defeat the Gatekeeper to retrieve the treasure chest and to spawn the Escape Portal. Once the Gatekeeper is defeated, the Unleashed Cards are activated in that all the players must draw the Unleashed Card and resolve it first before rolling a die (as per original rules). The Gatekeeper will now start fighting with 3 from the beginning. This actually makes it more difficult as you will need to retrieve your legendary weapon and also your eye card to take him down OR unless you team up with another player.
No problem with that as long as you keep it a variant rule.

Quote:

Once the Gatekeeper is defeated, the player who defeats it gets the Treasure Chest.
However, to take away the randomness of the portal spawning right in front of him, we have decided that the player on his left (the next player) will place the escape portal at the secret chamber of his choice at the end of his (the next player)turn.
This could drag the game unnecessarily, it flirts with hurt feelings among players and also it takes our dice away...again

Quote:
5.Spawning of additional monsters.
Whenever, the Gatekeeper leaves a room (in its movement), draw a Monster card and place the monster in the room he has left.
Overcomplicating things and even more to remember for the players.

I get the feeling that while you are trying to improve a very good game you are also take away the fun. But at the end of the day it is your vision so I am right behind you

Thanks for a great game.

PS
Have you considered to have only one magical chime in the items cards? And not in the wish cards? I think it is theme appropriate, the players should search for it actively and you motivate them to move through the board. It could also help to make the game shorter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lau
Malaysia
Petaling jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Dean, I think you should compile the final version of the rules and make it available via download on bgg. Also, maybe you should consider selling miniatures for the game. It will look much cooler with pre-painted miniatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.