Popular Tags: [View All]
Leigh Caple
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Notts.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked up a latest version of Upwords (with built in digital timer thingy) and we played our first game last night but a rules query came up.

The rules state that you either add tiles to form a new word (using a letter from an existing word) OR stack one or more letters on an existing word to create a new word.

My wife wanted to change the word 'Dished' on our board by adding FUR to the beginning and stacking an N on the D to make 'Furnished'. Is this allowed given the big fat OR in the above paragraph?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Leighbob wrote:
I just picked up a latest version of Upwords (with built in digital timer thingy) and we played our first game last night but a rules query came up.

The rules state that you either add tiles to form a new word (using a letter from an existing word) OR stack one or more letters on an existing word to create a new word.

My wife wanted to change the word 'Dished' on our board by adding FUR to the beginning and stacking an N on the D to make 'Furnished'. Is this allowed given the big fat OR in the above paragraph?

I would say, given the rules quoted above, she can't do that, because the rules state OR not AND.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Caple
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Notts.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that's what we went with but it seemed counter intuitive to penalise her for what would have been a cracking play. Just wondered if anyone else played it this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The root of all evil... but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yet I would say that in the spirit of what UpWords is that she should certainly be able to do that. I think a game like this is one that shouldn't be RAW. I mean the game is about coming up with combinations to form the best words possible! I think perhaps that a mass market game like this doesn't take wording semantics as close to heart as designers, publishers and gamers in the hobby gaming world we play in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Bee
Canada
flag msg tools
I believe the intended meaning is that those are the two strategies for forming a word (not mutually exclusive on a turn). The only requirement is to play in one line and to not completely cover a word already on the board.

We recently had a friendly argument about whether it is permitted to recreate a word previously created but buried a few layers down --for example, LEAP becomes LEAN becomes HEAR becomes HEAP and then is LEAP allowed again? (it is nowhere visible, you have to remember that it was played several turns back and is a few layers down). My argument was that this was not expressly prohibited and therefore should be permitted -and also, from a strictly practical point of view could be difficult to enforce consistently on some of the "deeper" words on the board and should therefore not be enforced at all.

Perhaps the moral of the story is that it is difficult to write game rules that are 100% clear and unambiguous. (And further, that players should get used to simply agreeing to "house rules" to fill in the gaps.)

Sten
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Killiam
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
The rules have examples just like that, it's perfectly fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.