Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Howard
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
10 Days in Europe is one of our family favorite. We enjoy it for the social chatter, the educational value, the problem solving, and the fact that we all know the rules.

Game One
After a pair of Monopoly games, the child-unit wanted to play 10 Days in Europe and out it came. Setting up my first game, my first card was Scotland, not a great start. I try to save Day 1 and Day 10 for odd-ball locations with limited connections, so Scotland quickly landed in Day 10. A few good draws later, I was looking at a good hand, needing only 3 cards to finish, all of which had multiple tile options. The game is rather like any of the rummy family in this regard..multiple options are a good thing.

In one case, I needed a yellow bordering Ukraine, else would need to swap out Ukraine. My daughter, sitting right of me, discarded Romania, one of the two. My wife then picked it up just before me, and I started to figure what Ukraine would be replaced by. Then she discarded Belarus, the other of the possible yellows. A few cards later and it was game over. It's good to be 'da Dad.

Game two The second game started after a brief break, and I really felt like I had a dog of a hand. Again, though, I was able to make use of some of the poor cards (Ireland and No. Ireland this time) to give more options, and was able to reconfigure a bit to where, instead of needing Germany, I could use either Germany or The Med, either of which has two cards. Wife discarding Germany late in game in an attempted juggle gave me the second game of the day.

Strategy recommendations:* Make use of the ocean and plane cards to move through multiple regions. Getting caught up in a trek through the Balkans, Eastern Europe, etc. only tends to limit options.
* Setting up the initial hand may be the key to this game, and giving sufficient space between short combinations are a big part of it.
* Discarding high connectivity cards is a tough option. Likewise, cover them whenever possible. This includes the doubles, such as Russia, Germany, and France, as well as the planes and ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
South Korea
Gyeongsan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
After a pair of Monopoly games

So your family gaming night is 5 hours long?

Nice sesh. We prefer the Africa board to the other versions, but Europe is a good one, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Howard
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nah, the Monopoly games were 60 and 75 minutes long, and the two 10DiA games were about 20-30 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.