Donovan K. Loucks
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've studied the English translation of the rules here on the Geek and have even looked over machine translations of the German and French rules, but can't get a definitive answer to this question:

When rolling doubles, is the Economic Situation (and possibly the Commercial News) resolved first or do facilities produce first?

If the Economic Situation is resolved first it will have an effect on the price of gasoline, which will affect the value that players get if their gas stations are activated. In addition, if the Commercial News takes effect, it might alter each player's decision as to whether he wants to - for example - convert a drilling rig to an oil pump.

Any suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Wordelmann
United States
Carol Stream
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Donovan:

Resolve the economic situation before activating any facilities.

Bill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donovan K. Loucks
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really? That surprises me given the fact that the English translation of the rules here on the Geek state:

The effects of all Commercial cards take place right after the Dice phase. (Machine translation of the German rules: The instructions of the Exchange journaling card will always be executed after all the activities of the cube [dice] phase ended.)

Note that this is just the Commercial News cards, and not the Economic Situation cards. This was my only clue that the doubles might be resolved second. I didn't mention this in my original post because I didn't want to bias any possible responses I got.

In addition, I had decided that resolving the doubles before handling facility production presented a better "user interface". Specifically, I was concerned that the doubles might get forgotten if they weren't dealt with first.

What evidence do you have that would indicate the Economic Situation card should be resolved first? Note that it ultimately doesn't make much difference as long as it's done consistently so as to avoid benefiting any one player.

Thanks for the response!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Vinarcik
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 9:

"A News Event is carried out immediately, and before proceeding with the Production Roll phase."

"In the event that a Production Roll has caused the Dice Difference Track to equal or exceed 8, the economy has changed."

Then you produce/resolve "hits."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mvinarcik wrote:
Page 9:

"A News Event is carried out immediately, and before proceeding with the Production Roll phase."

"In the event that a Production Roll has caused the Dice Difference Track to equal or exceed 8, the economy has changed."

Then you produce/resolve "hits."

Bear in mind that this question dates back to 2009, prior to the most recent edition of the game, which made some changes to the rules. For example there was no Dice Difference Track in earlier editions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.