Subject: First Time - One Game Each rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Port Macquarie
NSW
flag msg tools
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
Canal Grande

I am very lucky to have a partner who is willing to play games with me on a regular and ongoing basis.

Our last sojourn into the unknow was with an Alan Moon card game called Canal Grande.

I tend to prefer boardgames to card games but if it has been designed by Alan Moon I am willing to give it a go.

The game has many similarities to San Marco, a boardgame that we have played.

In Canal Grande there are two ways you can win - either win the vote in all six different districts so that you have a full set of six different district cards or win the vote in the same district 4 times.

During the game each player takes turns drawing 8 cards and dividing them into two lots - the other player gets to choose which of the two lots they would like.

The cards are either district cards (allowing you to have more voting power), gondolas (allowing you to use votes from other districtes to reinforce the current vote), spies (take two cards from the draw pile), traitors (take a card from your opponent's hand) or doges (you may select a district in which to vote).

When it is time to vote, the challenging player lays down a card from a district. For the other player to defend this challenge they must have at least one card of that district in their hand.

Denise and I played the first game and it wasn't much fun - we didn't really know what we were doing and it felt as though we were just going through the motions. Halfway through I started to get a feel for the game and its tactics. I won with a set of six cards - Denise had gone for a single district strategy.

We had a meal break and then went back to a second game.

My plan was to collect as many cards as possible, feeling that would give me voting power at the end of the game. I allowed Denise to get win two votes in the green district. At that point in time I realised that I didn't have any green cards in my hand.

From that point on it was a real fight between us for me to get traitors so that I could steal from Denise's hand and her trying to arrange the cards to reduce this option. If she had all the green cards she would be able to win with four of a district and I would not be able to stop her.

It was a fairly tense game with a lot of direct competition between us.

In the end Denise won even though she only had four cards in her hand while I had over 15 cards. She was able to win with four successful votes in the green district.

I look forward to the next game and I will be more aware of the value of having a card of each colour in my hand to stop cheap victories when it comes time to vote.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter R.
Italy
Bozen
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there!
Canal Grande is one of my all-time favourites! I like to play this game since 3-4 years and come back to it on a regular basis! Have much fun with it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.