Popular Tags: watch [+] [View All]
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Any BGG members from the Mps/St Paul area? I've been trying to get a more consistent game group and with my friends its just too difficult. Apparently noone else wants to game every night of the week, go figure. If theres anyone out there thats in the good old twin cities and would like to try to start a group off with me (or invite me to an existing one!) send me a message or something. Laters

EDIT 2/4/12: For anyone new to this thread, the following 90+pages are simply discussions about gaming in the Twin Cities area that continued to happen after the initial thread was posted. This thread is used to just chit chat, set up group orders, inform about sales/trades/etc, and also to arrange random "pick-up" gaming groups. If you want the current topics head to the last few pages and browse around. To stay up-to-date be sure to subscribe and welcome to the thread!

EDITIf you want to post games for sale please visit the following geeklist and add an item. It is most efficient if you create a seperate geeklist for your item and then post a link in the sales geeklist. Feel free to post about your sale in this thread, but please do not repeatedly post after making the announcement. Thanks! [geeklist=Twin Cities Auctions, Sales, Math Trades, Bazaars Notification List][/geeklist]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
flag msg tools
mb
It's hard to give you specific suggestions without knowing exactly where in the Twin Cities you're located. I suggest you start with these:

Fridays there is gaming going on at The Source in St. Paul, starting at 6 pm and going quite late (past midnight, I believe). Euros, AT, wargames and rpg's are all played there.

Board games are also played regularly at Village Games in Anoka and Dreamers in Minneapolis.

You should also contact the Twin Cities Eurogamer's group over on meetup.com.

Edits: Oops, forgot links!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony DuLac
United States
Blaine
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you live near the Northern Suburbs, I'd be interested in gaming on Saturday nights (usually my main time to game) - I live in Coon Rapids.

PM me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Nobody
United States
Maplewood
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where are you from? We have a few people we get together with now and then but I wouldnt mind finding some more people in the Oakdale, Maplewood, Woodbury area to meet-up with now and then.. I would like to find a Coffee shop that had a nice table in the back and didn't mind 3-5 people in there gaming once and a while...

Edit: I thought I should add that this would be far from a every night thing but I could see maybe a once a week get together if it worked out....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Ham Lake
MN
flag msg tools
mb
Every night of the week sounds good to me.

North suburbs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Henke
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I should be at The Source for a couple of hours this evening. It may be before you can make it, but I'll be there for awhile.

Fridays at The Source is open gaming and there are war gamers who show up. I'm sure they would love for you to pop out.

Have fun no matter where you end up!

My best,
Jason Henke
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan chapman
United States
Cambridge
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm up in Cambridge- a short hike from the cities, but I am always looking for more people to game with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Holden
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I work in Roseville, let me know if anyone plans a game night*.

Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Subscribe to the following thread if you are interested in getting announcements regarding the weekend gaming marathons. They happen every 2-3 months, and feature a very cool group of people playing a variety of mainly euros with some train/econ and wargames thrown in. We usually chip in $5 to cover the room fees, and they run for 16 hours Saturday (7a-11p) and sometimes also another 16 hours on Sunday.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/426670

Here are the recap geeklists from the last two marathons.
#10 - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/44247
#9 - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/42456

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Monson
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to subscribe, link takes me to a login page and tells me ai must login to subscribe, then doesn't recognize my login and password!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Monson
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plem45 wrote:
I tried to subscribe, link takes me to a login page and tells me ai must login to subscribe, then doesn't recognize my login and password!!

never mind I got it working now, not sure what the problem was though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Favilla
United States
Inver Grove Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I live in West St. Paul. I'd love to be a part of a few game nights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Holden
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any of you want to get together tomorrow night (Wednesday) and try a prototype that I'm playtesting for someone? Either a coffee shop, or maybe a game store. Suggestions? 7pm sounds like a good time. PM me if you're interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Skip the Source, I've tried going there multiple times and the only thing ever going on is Magic.

I've tried getting something going with the people who weren't playing but they really weren't interested. Plus, to be honest, the room really really stunk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:
Skip the Source, I've tried going there multiple times and the only thing ever going on is Magic.

Friday night is the night to go, it's when the board gamers are more active there as they have their own night. Magic is only on Tuesdays and occasional Saturdays... but I did here they may have changed things up a bit on the scheduale...

Also, I would recommend HIGHLY bingegamer's board game marathon events. It's a great way to find new games and meet new folks. Subscribe to announcements with this thread:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/426670

It's just an easier way to go than showing up at a stranger's house and then spending an awkward night of gaming if you all don't gel right. It's a little like dating this gaming thing!

Also, Meetup.com has a couple of boardgame groups in the local area that are decent, but to be honest the board game marathons are much more convieniant and held in a location that's easy to get to and plan in advance for.

Greg - let me know if you ever get something worked out for the east suburbs... I'm down for a coffee shop kind of thing in Woodbury/Oakdale every once and a while.

Also, I'm dying for a local no-ship math trade sometimes soon gang!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
Magic Pink wrote:

Friday night is the night to go, it's when the board gamers are more active there as they have their own night. Magic is only on Tuesdays and occasional Saturdays... but I did here they may have changed things up a bit on the scheduale...

I've tried over about 10 years and only on their advertised boardgame night. It's always been a total waste of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:

I've tried over about 10 years and only on their advertised boardgame night. It's always been a total waste of time.

I've never been to it admittedly as I've always been happy with my regular gaming groups, but I've always seen it mentioned by others.

What have you found that's worked for you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Holden
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:

It would be nice to have a list of potential gathering places in the metro. I'll continue from above: There's a relatively spacious Caribou coffee next to the Maplewood mall that has a couple areas that are partitioned off by glass walls.

Anyone else?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
Magic Pink wrote:

I've never been to it admittedly as I've always been happy with my regular gaming groups, but I've always seen it mentioned by others.

Nothing. I just have three friends that I can manage to get to play about every other month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
l10n0fjudah wrote:
stagger lee wrote:

It would be nice to have a list of potential gathering places in the metro. I'll continue from above: There's a relatively spacious Caribou coffee next to the Maplewood mall that has a couple areas that are partitioned off by glass walls.

Funny you mention that place. The manager is the former owner of the short lived Nova Games. He's VERY game friendly and runs Magic events in those very rooms for his old player base. You better believe he'd be thrilled to have a regular board game contingent in there. I'm sure all anyone would have to do is ask and he'd be excited to help. Not sure if there is any rental fee, and I do know it can get kind of cramped in those rooms when there are a lot of folks in them.

MagicPink... sorry to hear you've had a hard time finding groups that mesh well with you. We have one of the best gaming communities in the country, and there is likely a group out there that you'd find you enjoy much more than others. I've had both excellent experiences with meetup groups and awful ones myself, and have had some really strange experiences when gaming with strangers. It's just about finding what works for you and sticking with it through bad experiences as well as good.

Also, I want to remind everyone that it's not too late to start planing for Con of The North! It's a great time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Holden
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
Funny you mention that place. The manager is the former owner of the short lived Nova Games.

I had no idea, I've just been there to have coffee and do a little work a couple times, who knew?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armin Brueckner
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a small group going in the Southern St. Paul suburbs on Thursday nights. PM me if you're in the area and I can get you more info.

Also, the Meetup.com group for both the library events and Marathon are a great group of gamers and definetly worth attending.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:

MagicPink... sorry to hear you've had a hard time finding groups that mesh well with you.

I don't. I fit in very well, thanks for the implied slam tho.

My problem is finding groups PERIOD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan chapman
United States
Cambridge
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I joined into some board games at the source on a couple of Friday nights (okay so it was 6 years ago), we played games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:
stagger lee wrote:

MagicPink... sorry to hear you've had a hard time finding groups that mesh well with you.

I don't. I fit in very well, thanks for the implied slam tho.

My problem is finding groups PERIOD.

No slam intended whatsoever MP. Just trying to be encouraging as I myself was in a similar situation a couple of years ago when my game group trailed off into obscurity. After digging and trying out some things, I now have 3 separate groups that I'm very happy with and get to game quite often with. I would strongly suggest trying the marathons for you as well as anyone else. It's such a great opportunity to get to play games you might never normally get to play (3-4 of my last purchases were ones based on games I discovered there), and the people who show up range in tastes and play styles so it's not hard to find someone new to play with the kind of games you enjoy most. Meetup is a good way to go as well, but my wife and I found showing up at a stranger's house a bit awkward. The marathons are "neutral" grounds and you don't run into issues such as overstaying your welcome, leaving early and insulting the host, and making a mess of someone's living space. Not to mention more people show up to the marathons so if you have an issue with one gamer in particular, you can jump into a different group next game because several are run at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [415] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.