Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: watch [+] [View All]
Mike Boyko
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the southern suburbs there is Misty Mountain games in Burnsville, which appears to be trying to get some people to run a board game night on a consistent basis. At least thats what they told me the last time I was in there (maybe a month ago).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ballistic101 wrote:
In the southern suburbs there is Misty Mountain games in Burnsville, which appears to be trying to get some people to run a board game night on a consistent basis. At least thats what they told me the last time I was in there (maybe a month ago).

Great shop, and a good space. You can tell they are trying to up the board game selection as well. It's a bit of a drive, but worth the trip if they have something going on. Steve Port is the owner and a fantastic all around guy. His shop in Madison is nice as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
l10n0fjudah wrote:
stagger lee wrote:
What have you found that's worked for you?

It would be nice to have a list of potential gathering places in the metro. I'll continue from above: There's a relatively spacious Caribou coffee next to the Maplewood mall that has a couple areas that are partitioned off by glass walls.

I like the idea of meeting in a coffee shop since I'm a coffee junkie myself. I work night shifts starting at 11 pm. I work every third weekend with 12 hour shifts. We should try to get a few people up there a week from this Saturday if possible (I work this weekend!). Any takers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kvenosdel wrote:
l10n0fjudah wrote:
stagger lee wrote:

It would be nice to have a list of potential gathering places in the metro. I'll continue from above: There's a relatively spacious Caribou coffee next to the Maplewood mall that has a couple areas that are partitioned off by glass walls.

I like the idea of meeting in a coffee shop since I'm a coffee junkie myself. I work night shifts starting at 11 pm. I work every third weekend with 12 hour shifts. We should try to get a few people up there a week from this Saturday if possible (I work this weekend!). Any takers?

I would recomend people talk to Aaron (the manager) first, as who knows if he has a fancy check out system for the rooms. Saturdays are usually bad for me, but I'm glad to have helped potentially create a new meeting spot for you all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Holden
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be at a wedding that Sat, so I'll miss that one. In addition, maybe some weekday would work for just one ~hour long game or something. I agree, would be good to talk to the manager.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:

It's just an easier way to go than showing up at a stranger's house and then spending an awkward night of gaming if you all don't gel right. It's a little like dating this gaming thing!

Greg - let me know if you ever get something worked out for the east suburbs... I'm down for a coffee shop kind of thing in Woodbury/Oakdale every once and a while.

Also, I'm dying for a local no-ship math trade sometimes soon gang!

I had to chuckle when reading your comment about dating, but you are exactly right!

I'm down for some Woodbury/Oakdale/Maplewood gaming action. My schedule is kind of hectic but I would make it when I could. Right now Mondays and Wednesdays are the best for me. Some weekends are, just depends.

I too would like another no-ship math trade.....I'm not sure I can wait until Con of the North. I still have some magic cards with your name on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kvenosdel wrote:
l10n0fjudah wrote:
stagger lee wrote:

Kenny - are you willing to contact the manager to find out what the scoop is on the "gaming area" there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Nobody
United States
Maplewood
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I am going to go talk to the manager for the coffee shop in Maplewood either today or tomorrow... I'll post what info I get and maybe even try to setup a date for next week....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ask for Aaron. He's a very nice guy. I would assume he'll be all about the idea as he runs MTG events frequently. Especially if he gets coffee sales out of it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good Greg. I really can game about any day of the week. Mon and Tuesday are booked for me next week though. It doesn't make much difference to me. The only thing is it has to be early enough so I can get to work! Would sometime around 6:00 sound about right? That way if this does become a more regular meet up we have options to play a longer game or multiple short games. Let me know your thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Nobody
United States
Maplewood
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I talked to Aaron at Caribou Coffee in Maplewood tonight... I think the room is perfect... There are two separate rooms, the one has three long tables that could have 2 or 3 games going at a time and the other had 2 tables... They do have to be reserved and its 25 dollars but you get a 25 dollar gift certificate, it's just there way of making sure that some money gets spent there.. In fact he told me that if it becomes a regular thing and people are spending 5 or 6 bucks when they come we eventually wouldn't have to pay the 25 up front... Me and my girl drink coffee and I'm sure we would buy one when we go anyways so this is not a big deal to us..... But that would only be 8 to 10 dollars so others would have to be willing to pitch in also... I think at 5 bucks a person for 5 people its a good deal and if someone doesn't drink coffee there are other things there to use the money on(water, juice, pop, etc.).. Or if enough people started coming maybe we could have some kind of prizes or something to make it even a little more interesting... I don't know just a thought you guys tell me what you think.

I forgot that we have all our kids all next week. We're doing a valley fair weekend so we have to wait until the following week to set something up... We also have talked about having a night when we allow the kids to come(our kids like gaming also) so I would like to hear from anybody with children who may be interested in a night like that too.. The kids could be in the other room playing kids games/legos or whatever while we get some gaming in... We have seven kids but the kids that would be coming most of the time are 11, 9, and 8 they're all very outgoing and friendly.. Our 11yr old may even want to get in on a game with the adults if the right game is being played..

Aaron told me that he has most Friday nights for MTG (they were playing a draft tourney when I went there)so except for now and then when they only use one of the rooms Friday's would be out... Fri.-Sat. they are open until 11pm, and 10pm the rest of the week... So as of now I would like to set something up for one day the week of Mon. Aug. 10th-Sun.16th Geekmail me what days/times work best for you and I will post a date/time that works best for everyone that responds. Also any other ideas are welcome....

Hope to be gaming with some of you soon!

Edit:Forgot to tell you Pete when I told him someone had mentioned him on BGG he said he thought it may be you.. I couldn't remember your name so I wasn't sure but now I see he was right....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Tietz
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be up for gaming in Maplewood as well. Pete will keep me up to date if anything gets decided.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say we do need to be careful about Saturdays as well, as we don't want to bump heads against Jeff's (bingegamers) BG marathons when they come along (I think most people here would be atteding anyway), or the MTG pre-release parties that he'll hold (which I can easily provide dates for and happen only 4 times a year).

Thanks for your hard work! I'm much more up for a weekday thing and can buy a beverage when attending, but you'll likely see me at some point!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
flag msg tools
mb
stagger lee wrote:
l10n0fjudah wrote:
There's a relatively spacious Caribou coffee next to the Maplewood mall that has a couple areas that are partitioned off by glass walls.

Funny you mention that place. The manager is the former owner of the short lived Nova Games. He's VERY game friendly and runs Magic events in those very rooms for his old player base. You better believe he'd be thrilled to have a regular board game contingent in there.

That must've changed rather recently, like in the past year or so. My game group used to meet there on Tuesday nights, once a month, but we moved to our houses once they started insisting on us buying $25 gift cards per hour of room use -- and the cards had to be purchased at least two days ahead of time. We used to buy a crap-ton of drinks and snacks anyway, but forcing us to do it via cards that way just proved too inconvenient. Has that changed then?

Edit:
(Vagrant1567 wrote:
They do have to be reserved and its 25 dollars but you get a 25 dollar gift certificate, it's just there way of making sure that some money gets spent there.. In fact he told me that if it becomes a regular thing and people are spending 5 or 6 bucks when they come we eventually wouldn't have to pay the 25 up front...

I see it has... sort of. Depends who's on when you reserve, I guess.

BTW, I tried the Source on Fridays too, and found the chairs !@#%!@#$ uncomfortable, and large male gamers regularly blocked access to the women's restroom and refused to move. YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Nobody
United States
Maplewood
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have been trying to goto a marathon of Jeff's for a while but haven't made it to one yet, when he has ran them something has always come up on that weekend.. Can't wait to make it to one though... As far as interupting that weekend I dont think a weekend day here and there would hurt any. Jeff seems to run that every 2 to 3 months so there are plenty of weekends between... I think it actually would be nice to have a flexable schedule that way everyone can have a chance to come once and a while if they would like... But again if the majority would rather have a set day and time I would be ok with that also.... Just keep me updated. And again if you all would like to geekmail the days and times that work for you I can figure out what seems to work best....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't mind hosting every once in awhile either, assuming I got to meet a few of you first and all of your personal references checked out. I would only be able to do that on nights that I don't work however unless we had a planned end time that was decent. I would hate to feel like I was kicking people out or breaking up games so I could get ready to go. I live close to downtown St Paul in a house and have a gaming-friendly table. It seats 8 people and can even expand more if I had inserts!

I do agree that a flexible schedule with a couple different nights/locations would be desirable. Then anyone can switch in and out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aaron just recently became the full blown store manager within the last 6 months, after his game shop went under. It was sort of a "Stars Are Right" moment for him. He's definitely more of a game friendly kind of guy, where the previous manager might have just wanted to stick to the rules and that's it.

As for Jeff's events, they are top notch and well run and have become my wife and I's favorite gaming resource outside of our regular groups. Most of the folks are very polite and fun to game with, and everyone always brings the newest "hot" games that we're dying to try. 4 out of our last 5 purchases were bought because we were able to try them there first. He did mention last time they were going to happen more often. I would recommend subscribing to the "announcement" thread in the Midwest forum. I say the more the merrier!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Nobody
United States
Maplewood
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I added a link to here in the Midwest forum a day or two ago... So far it looks like Mon. Aug. 10th or Wed. the 12th are what a few people want... I'll check in daily to see if anything changes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Nobody
United States
Maplewood
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just an update.. I have only had a few people send me days and times and even though thats all we really need I had hopes that we would get a few more interested.... Let me know if you are! I will post again at the end of the week unless something comes up thats important! Also going to list some games I would like to try in hopes of someone bringing them.. See ya!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
email me when you think you want to have the meet up. any day is okay with me like i said earlier. As long as I can be home by 10ish to get ready for work! Also I can bring any game on my list, except the ones marked In the Mail! thanks, Kenny
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm more of a "know what night is the regular night" and try my best to show up when possibile. I like having the option availible when my scheudale clears up and allows me room for gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Nobody
United States
Maplewood
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my thing about having a regular night! I am worried that if we say lets meet on Tuesday from 6-10pm every week or even every other week that the first time some people go and there is only 2 people there they may never come again...

Where if we say ok who can make it on Monday the 12th from 5:30-whenever and 6 people say "I can make it"... Then if they dont show up we know who we can count on or who we can't count on(if its the same person every week).. I know that sometimes things will come up and someone will not be able to make it(and they can leave a post or tell someone)but if 6 people say there coming and 2 dont show up its not that big of a deal... But if you show up some night and nobody is there(even more so if its a bit of a drive for you)you may never come again... Plus if we say hey lets meet on "this" day and all but 2 people say they can't make it, we can try for another day that more can...

I have no problem with paying the 25 dollars to hold the room(getting a $25 gift card)but I want to know that other people are coming...

Also after we all have been meeting together for some time maybe we will decide that enough people are showing up every week so we dont have to post a specific day and it can become a regular thing.....

I think we should set a day and time at least for the first 4 or 5 times we meet and go from there... I think everyone would agree that if they took the time to drive over and were excited about meeting and playing some games with new people and nobody was there it would be a bummer, so why not make it so there is less of a chance of that happening...

Just my two cents.. Greg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armin Brueckner
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If someone sets up something in or around St. Paul, I can make any weeknight but Thursday. I can pretty well commit to Tuesday or Wednesday starting at 7:30 going to 10:30. I'm cool with going to someone's house if they want to host, or wherever. For me, as close to downtown or souther St. Paul the better.

Just my experience- it is better to have 3 people who can meet regularly than 6 people who hop in and out.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Holden
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vagrant1567 wrote:
Just my two cents.. Greg

Agree with what you said as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [438] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.