United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
l10n0fjudah wrote:
stagger lee wrote:
What have you found that's worked for you?

It would be nice to have a list of potential gathering places in the metro. I'll continue from above: There's a relatively spacious Caribou coffee next to the Maplewood mall that has a couple areas that are partitioned off by glass walls.

Funny you mention that place. The manager is the former owner of the short lived Nova Games. He's VERY game friendly and runs Magic events in those very rooms for his old player base. You better believe he'd be thrilled to have a regular board game contingent in there. I'm sure all anyone would have to do is ask and he'd be excited to help. Not sure if there is any rental fee, and I do know it can get kind of cramped in those rooms when there are a lot of folks in them.

MagicPink... sorry to hear you've had a hard time finding groups that mesh well with you. We have one of the best gaming communities in the country, and there is likely a group out there that you'd find you enjoy much more than others. I've had both excellent experiences with meetup groups and awful ones myself, and have had some really strange experiences when gaming with strangers. It's just about finding what works for you and sticking with it through bad experiences as well as good.

Also, I want to remind everyone that it's not too late to start planing for Con of The North! It's a great time!

My friends and I have gamed here when our normal places have fallen through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with setting something more substantial, I just know I can't be one of those folks who can be depended on regularly showing. I game 1-2 a week as it is, so anything else above it gravy! It's just wonderful to have another option in the tank, and I'm happy to give Aaron and his Caribou some love!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Nobody
United States
Maplewood
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to type this last night but didn't get to it. So since I woke up I thought I would do it real quick.... We are going to get together on Mon.(Aug.10th)at 6pm.... I haven't reserved the room yet so theres a slim chance it could change but I think we should be fine..... I will stop there today to make sure and reserve it... If for some reason it is booked, Wednesday was the other day that worked for most so I will book that day.. But for now plan on Monday!

I think as of right now its going to be at least 6 people, but please send me another geekmail to let me know if your coming forsure...

I am going to list a few games that I would like to try if anyone that comes has them and wants to teach us/play them... We are kinda new to this world but will bring a few new ones that we do have. Let me know if theres anything you would like to try if I have it. I'm sure you have played most of the games we have. I know a couple of these may have a little learning curve but I think we can handle it.. I guess we'll find out!

Agricola
Race for the galaxy
Citidels
Caylus
For Sale
Saboteur
Galaxy Trucker
Red Dragon Inn

I think thats plenty to list.. I was going to leave out the 2-player games but if you come early and have any of these(or others you like):

Jambo
Dungeon Twister
Lost Cities
Hive

I would love to try before I buy!

Again this will be at Caribou Coffee in Maplewood on Whitebear Ave. by the Maplewood Mall...
I think I will be there about 5:30!

Talk to you soon! Greg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Holden
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second the vote for Agricola and Galaxy Trucker.
I'll also plan to bring these from your list as well as some others.
Race for the galaxy
Citidels
Caylus
For Sale
Saboteur
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am coming for sure. I have Agricola, Race for the Galaxy, and should receive Citadels tomorrow. May I also suggest Dominion, unless that is any of you are totally played out on it. It is a good 2-4 player game that moves quick. I should also be receiving dungeon twister tomorrow, among others (I ordered 12 games last week!). Feel free to cruise my profile and make any other suggestions. I do work at 11 that night so game night ends at 9:30 for me. Thanks for looking into everything Greg. Excited to meet any who attend!

p.s. I am tentatively planning on going to the source Friday to scope out the board gaming action. I know that there is friday night magic going on as well. Just thought it would be good to find out the actual scoop in case it's needed for location in the future. If anyone wants to meet up and play a few rounds of something send me a message. I'm thinking 6:30 or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Nobody
United States
Maplewood
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all! I got everything all set up... Kenny I would join ya at the source but we are doing the Valleyfair thing and wont be back until Sun..

I am looking forward to doing some gaming... My girl will not be there until 7:30 or so and I think a friend may be coming too.... If you all like gaming as much as we do, it's going to be a good time....

We'll see ya there and have a good weekend...

Greg

P.S. I forgot to metion that the big room is being used until 8 so we have to use the small room until then but I looked at it again and it will hold a good 8 people(gaming)comfortable so we should be fine... Next time I will reserve it earlier...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Monson
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vagrant1567 wrote:
Hi all! I got everything all set up... Kenny I would join ya at the source but we are doing the Valleyfair thing and wont be back until Sun..

I am looking forward to doing some gaming... My girl will not be there until 7:30 or so and I think a friend may be coming too.... If you all like gaming as much as we do, it's going to be a good time....

We'll see ya there and have a good weekend...

Greg

P.S. I forgot to metion that the big room is being used until 8 so we have to use the small room until then but I looked at it again and it will hold a good 8 people(gaming)comfortable so we should be fine... Next time I will reserve it earlier...

Okay I am too lazy to go through the whole thread and decipher...cool

When and Where is everything set up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mon at the Caribou in Maplewood near the mall. 6:00, or a little earlier if you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plem45 wrote:

Okay I am too lazy to go through the whole thread and decipher...cool

When and Where is everything set up?

Ken - I plan on being there too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm willing to bring anything from my collection. Let me know if you see anything you'd like to try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Nobody
United States
Maplewood
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a good time tonight... Thanks to everyone who came..

I wondered if maybe there would be someone who showed up that wouldn't fit in, but everyone was very cool(unless I was the one)and seemed to like gaming as much as we do! Only bummer was that I would have liked to have had more time to get in another couple of games.... I look forward to doing it again....

For those who couldn't make it (and thanks for the Gmail) but are planning on coming some other time here are the couple games we played:

First we play tested a game that Steve(l10n0fjudah) brought that to me seemed to have potential but I wont elaborate until I have played it a few more times... Then we played a game of Snow Tails that I really enjoyed and look forward to playing again, Thanks Jared for teaching us how to play.. It is a game that will move up on my wish list...

Again I had a good time let me know when you all would like to do it again!!!

Greg

Edit: I forgot to add that there was a game of Dominion that was played before some people showed up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the update! I'm thrilled it went well! I hope Aaron and the staff at Caribou treated you guys well, as I've always had good experiences with him when he ran Air Traffic.

Please keep updating this thread when new opportunities arise, as I'd like to join in when I can!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Nobody
United States
Maplewood
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played another game of Snow Tails and noticed a few thing I don't think we did right... Correct me if I am wrong on either... At the end of your turn you draw to 5 cards and we did that but you also discard down to 5 if you have to many which we didn't do.. It only happens or can happen in the begining(the person who takes starting spot 5 and draws 2 cards) or if you take alot of dent cards(pass a saftey speed spot at a high rate and end up with more then 5 cards)then you would discard your dog cards.. The other thing we did wrong is when you hit another sled you dont take damage(get a dent card) its considered a bump and you just don't get to draw any cards that turn(but you do have to discard if over 5)

Not a big deal but just thought I would point it out in case any of you play it again so your not confused like I was!!

We may be having another gaming night this weekend... It's going to be small and at our home... It's not forsure yet but if any of you that we have met may be interested geekmail me!

On another note, I think I am going to setup another Caribou night the week of Aug. 23rd-29th let me know what night you would like....

See ay soon!
Greg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a bunch of great wargamers in Mpls/St.Paul. I've been in a number of World in Flames and Empire in Arms groups. If anyone is interested in EIA, drop me a line. A few of us are thinking about starting another game soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Monson
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone out there play World of Warcraft CCG?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vagrant1567 wrote:

On another note, I think I am going to setup another Caribou night the week of Aug. 23rd-29th let me know what night you would like....

See ay soon!
Greg

I'd be in for Monday the 24th.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plem45 wrote:
Anyone out there play World of Warcraft CCG?

MTG is my only cardboard crack addiction, but I think there is a group that meets at the Source. Also, looks like there is another BG marathon coming up in Sept! Saturday September 12 and Sunday September 13!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Petersen
United States
St. Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
As long as it looks like this thread is gathering a fair amount of traffic, it's probably a good time to mention that I have a group that plays 18xx and Winsome games almost weekly in St. Louis Park. There is a Google Group for it, but it set to be private since the group mostly meets at my house.
http://groups.google.com/group/RNTG

Contact me if you're interested. If I know you, I'll almost certainly let you in. If not, we can probably meet at a public gaming event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tyler
United States
Minnetonka
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's worth mentioning as well that there is a regular game night Tuesdays at Dreamers in St Louis Park. We usually have 4-7 people. We play a lot of new and newer euro games, and have also been playing lotsn of trick taking games lately. If we could get one more person to come regularly that really eits economic games (container, wealth of nations, power grid, Phoenicia, etc., 'twould make me very happy. We startat 6pm and go until 10-11, depending when the magic tourney in the other room ends.

Also, there is usually an interest in pizza. It's a good store with a growing selection of board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Monson
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vagrant1567 wrote:

See ay soon!
Greg

I would be available 24 - 26, definitely interested. Sorry tomiss last one since I was working nights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Nobody
United States
Maplewood
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the mails I have got so far it looks like the 25th or 26th have the most votes but we'll see where we are at when the end of next week comes.. On a good note it looks like we will have more people then last time so we can have a couple games going.... I'll keep you updated..

Sorry David I'm not a "Wargamer" at least not as of now.. I do have some war games on my wish list that I at least plan on trying at some point in life...

And Ken I have never played World of Warcraft CCG.. I do own some MTG Cards both physical and online but its the only CCG I have ever really played and I haven't even played that for a while... But I would be willing to try it sometime....

Woohoo!!!! As of now it looks like I am going to be able to make it to the Boardgame Madness next month... How many of you that go get rooms? We are talking about going both days and if we do it just seems like it may be easier to get a room... I know when I talked to Jeff Koenig in the past when I was going to go that there were discounted rooms is that the norm?

Greg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vagrant1567 wrote:

Woohoo!!!! As of now it looks like I am going to be able to make it to the Boardgame Madness next month... How many of you that go get rooms? We are talking about going both days and if we do it just seems like it may be easier to get a room... I know when I talked to Jeff Koenig in the past when I was going to go that there were discounted rooms is that the norm?

My wife and I, and all of our friends who go just drive. It's not so far and we leave early enough in the morning that there is no traffic. I'd say if you're jonsing for a "convention" feel, go for it!

As for rates, I'd ask Jeff once the official thread goes up in Midwest. I'm dying for a Math Trade as well, and hoping we'll have a chance since it's been since Feb that we've had a local no-ship one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't make the convention. I work 12 hour shifts both days! CRY!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armin Brueckner
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw the Byerly's in Eagan has a community room. If there is anyone in the southern St. Paul area looking to meet up, I can inquire about availabilty. From what I was told, it stays open until the store closes.

Same as the Mapplewood meet up, it would be a Monday or Tuesday night. If anyone is interested, let me know.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Kimmel
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
Vagrant1567 wrote:

My wife and I, and all of our friends who go just drive. It's not so far and we leave early enough in the morning that there is no traffic. I'd say if you're jonsing for a "convention" feel, go for it!

As for rates, I'd ask Jeff once the official thread goes up in Midwest. I'm dying for a Math Trade as well, and hoping we'll have a chance since it's been since Feb that we've had a local no-ship one.

Thumbs up on the math trade. I have some stuff I need to unload.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [451] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.