Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Sonnenberg
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a 4p game of Basari. For some reason, we weren't moving around the inner "dice" track very fast and were collecting lots of gems. (I realize the reason was the cards that were chosen.) At the end of the first round, there weren't many gems left in the supply - even after replenishing with the required 3 of each color from personal supplies.

Halfway through the 2nd round, the gem supply was completely depleted! Not just one color was gone, but all 4 were used up. For a while, we each continued to actively choose between the points and the dice cards, but soon that became totally random. Someone could have chosen the gems card just to prevent bartering, but other than that, what would have been the point?

Realizing that this would happen again shortly after starting the 3rd round, we decided to quit instead.

Has this never happened to anyone else? I can find no evidence of it in any posts. I would consider this a broken game due to this situation. If this doesn't happen very often and we ran into a rare set of circumstances, maybe it's still worth keeping and playing. Otherwise it's time to get something different or better (perhaps like Edel, Stein, und Reich). At the very least, I'm going to have to lower my rating from an 8 down to a 5 at best. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like you might have been playing it incorrectly.

How were you playing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
I'm with Jon: Something smells fishy. Were you all taking gems if you all selected the "Take Gems" card, or were two players bartering for the right to take the gems? Also, if 3 or more players pick the same action, then no one is allowed to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard S
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a long time since I have played Basari, but I agree with quozl.
Something just sounds off about this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Sonnenberg
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played several times and never had this problem before. I believe we were playing by the rules. Not doing any of the incorrect things Verkisto mentioned.

Details later if needed. Gotta go to the niece's for supper and...games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it is possible if somebody gets gems every turn and everbody rolls 1 for their dice every turn that you would have 30 turns of gem-taking in a round. At an average of 3 gems per turn, you could get 90 gems in the first round. Then when the gem leaders turn back in gems at the end of the round, you'd only have 22 gems remaining for the next round.

But that sounds pretty unlikely which makes me wonder exactly how you were playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
. . . Then when the gem leaders turn back in gems at the end of the round, you'd only have 22 gems remaining for the next round. . .

That was my first question: Are the gem leaders returning 3 gems to the center of the board after each round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate to sound like a broken MP3, but yeah, do make sure you got those rules down pact....

--only 25 gems of each color are used. My Out Of The Box copy came with 28, with the extra 3 there as spares, which oddly enough would make your case worse, but still worth noting none of the less.

--every player starts off with 3 gems of each color
--When bartering due to EXACTLY 2 players choosing the Gems action card, only 1 player gets to take the gems indicated on his space. Namely, the player who paid out his barter to the other player. The other player only gets to accept the gems from the barter and may NOT take gems from his space.
--the single player who has the most gems of a given must discard 3 gems of that given color.
--All players who are tied with the most gems must each discard 2 of the color they're tied at.

Otherwise, I can still see your situation happening, albeit to be rare. It sounds like you guys were hoarding gems is all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Sonnenberg
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that in the first round there was just a lot of gem-taking and point-grabbing, leaving very little die-rolling which just extended that round abnormally. I remember taking 2 yellow gems at least once when that technically wasn't my best move...but I got them because no one else expected me to make that move either.

We were playing by every rule everyone has mentioned, and as I said, this wasn't our first game, so I don't think it's a rules problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so were you all rolling the die once at the beginning of each round too. I mean you don't move only when playing the die action, you also move at the beginning of every turn.

Edit: Sorry to keep questioning this, it's just the odds of this happening are absolutely astronomical!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Sonnenberg
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
OK, so were you all rolling the die once at the beginning of each round too. I mean you don't move only when playing the die action, you also move at the beginning of every turn.

Edit: Sorry to keep questioning this, it's just the odds of this happening are absolutely astronomical!

gulp blush shake zombie

Thank you! Going to go play a game I really know now, like 'Gric.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find these gem stones to be the perfect size for various other games.

Any suggestions on where I can get more (in various colours?).

Thanks,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.