Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Damian Undziakiewicz
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I have a slight issue with that game and was wondering if there is any special rule to handle such situation.
We played Deluxe edition several times with five people, and run out of medal tokens a few times in the last round. At the moment we just making a note on the paper for the person missing the token she/he should be awarded with. Finally we sum up all the person tokens with those put on the paper.

Is this is a right thing to do, or is there any hidden,'vicious' rule saying that if you run out of the tokens you simply will not be awarded anymore. Therefore someone showing 5 rabbits in the last round can be tricked out by the fact that there are not enough tokens for her/him to collect. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That seems quite hard to achieve, are you sure you're playing correctly? You're not handing out for singles?

There's 15 medals of each animal, enough for handing out a full set of 5 in each of the 3 rounds in the game.

To run out, you'd have average more than 5 of one specific animal every single round in the game, 3 players get 2 bunnies each (6 out of the 7 possible cards) 3 straight rounds, etc.

It's mathematically possible, it just seems like it should be quite rare.

Regardless, there's nothing in the manual that says they're limited, and the smaller version of the game doesn't even come with tokens (it uses a scoresheet).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian Undziakiewicz
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

thank you for replying.

Yes, we did play according to the rules and it did happen 3 times in 10 plays.

There is however something I realized we were probably doing wrong. After each round was finished we were shuffling all the cards together, used and not used, which was raising the probability of picking similar cards in the following round again.
Now I am shuffling only those cards that were used in the current round and I am placing on the top of them those that were not yet used, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You had it right the first time, you completely re-shuffle all the cards (except unused bonus cards) before each new round.

Quote:
NEW SEASON
The player to the left of the last dealer is the new dealer. The dealer shuffles all the cards, apart from any bonus cards that have not been used, and places the shuffled stack in front of him. Then he turns over the first card and either keeps it or passes it on, and so on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian Undziakiewicz
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As stated before by doing so we are running out of medals.

I think I am going back to use additional sheet of paper to note the points for all those people lacking medals

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(The Artist formerly known as) Arnest R
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what's to keep you from exchanging sets of 5 against a 5-point medal ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian Undziakiewicz
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shake The Rules.

They state that you are suppose to keep the scores (medals) hidden from each other. In that case by allowing people exchanging medals on the fly you are contradicting the rules and enabling opponents to see how many points you already have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(The Artist formerly known as) Arnest R
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hidden trackable information is pure nonsense, but you're free to play with it if you like...

whistle shake whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Rose
United States
TAMPA
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I reading correctly there's no consensus on this?

I just learned of the game last night and we came across this problem on our first game. I've read the rules twice and other gamers in the group read the rules also and none of us saw anything that covered this or inferred it.

I did read elsewhere that there's a deluxe vs. travel edition and the travel edition just has cards and score sheets. The score sheets for the travel edition leads me to believe that medals are unlimited.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a consensus, no one thinks they are limited.

I still don't see how you guys are routinely handing out 5+ of a single animal all 3 rounds. There have to be singles and some unused cards still left in the deck.

It should be extremely rare with 5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jachimowicz
United States
Topton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
There is a consensus, no one thinks they are limited.

I still don't see how you guys are routinely handing out 5+ of a single animal all 3 rounds. There have to be singles and some unused cards still left in the deck.

It should be extremely rare with 5 players.

I'm not sure why you would think this to be so rare. With seven cards of each type of animal, you can mathematically hand out 6 medals for a particular type of animal in each of the three rounds. A seventh medal could go to someone having one of each type of animal. So a possibility of 7 in each round, times three rounds is 21 medals. Not likely, but possible. I have run out of medals for at least one animal type every time I have played with five players. Sonce this happens in the last round, I have them hold on to a number of cards equal to the number of tokens they are missing. No big deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.