Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mitchell Thomashow
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's not clear to me from the English translation whether the bonus chips must be used immediately or whether you can use them later in the game. This is an important distinction for the cloverleaf and the card bonus chips. And if they can be saved for a later turn, at what point in a turn might they be used?

Thanks for any responses!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
flag msg tools
mb
As in the base game, the bonus chips (with the pale green background) must be used immediately. You cannot keep them for later use in the game.

What actually happens is that you move onto the field that contains the bonus and you use that bonus chip's ability but leave the bonus chip there if it has a pale green background. Pale green background bonus chips are able to be used again, and again, by anyone landing on that space.

The only bonuses that you pick up and keep have a light brown background. Those belong to the wishing stones and count towards your score at the end of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pdclose wrote:

What actually happens is that you move onto the field that contains the bonus and you use that bonus chip's ability but leave the bonus chip there if it has a pale green background. Pale green background bonus chips are able to be used again, and again, by anyone landing on that space.

The only bonuses that you pick up and keep have a light brown background. Those belong to the wishing stones and count towards your score at the end of the game.

Maybe my edition is a little bit different, I thought those were light grey. But it's not the background of the tiles. You collect the 'stone' tiles (5 colors, one stack and one single stone from every color - you take only one stone from a stack of stones of the similar color) whether they have a green or grey/light brown background.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But as for the original question's answer I agree: you use the effect of those tiles immediately and leave them there (except from the stones which don't have any effect but give you points in the end).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
flag msg tools
mb
lacxox wrote:
Maybe my edition is a little bit different, I thought those were light grey.

I'm referring to the background color on the face of the chip; you're talking about the reverse (back) of the chip.

I meant pale green and/or orangish/pale brown backgrounds like so:

But as you said, pick up the "stones" (which you score at the end of the game), and leave everything else in place but activate their effects them immediately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pdclose wrote:
I'm referring to the background color on the face of the chip; you're talking about the reverse (back) of the chip.

Sorry. You're right, my mistake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Thomashow
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks, Diane and Laszlo......that's very helpful.....

Mitchell
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the game yet, so this may make more sense once I've actually played, but I wondered what is the rationale behind leaving bonus chips on the board for the next player? If you work hard to advance on a certain path, it doesn't make seem to make sense for a player coming up from behind to get the same bonus.

I'm not for using house rules, but this is one I am seriously considering, unless I am really overlooking something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are not advancing on the path only for the bonus chips; you advance there also because of the numbers printed on the board. The bonus chips (green background) only make the board different each time you play. They are randomizers, not things to fight/race for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lacxox wrote:
You are not advancing on the path only for the bonus chips; you advance there also because of the numbers printed on the board. The bonus chips (green background) only make the board different each time you play. They are randomizers, not things to fight/race for.

Thanks, I think I now see how leaving the bonus chips on the board makes the game more tactical. If bonuses remain on the board, players have to decide whether to go for that bonus too or to advance on other paths. If the bonuses were taken off, it would almost always be more advantageous to advance on paths which still have uncovered bonus chips, thus removing a lot of that decision-making.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.