Subject: D12 rather than 2D6 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darren Thornton
England
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first two games of this recently and it struck me that when the to drops to 4/5/6 attacks seldom miss due to the average rolls for 2d6. I thought this made for a bit of a predictable outcome each time and detracted from the overall games we played.

I realise that people have defence abilities to offset the above situation but I also wondered what would happen if a d12 was used instead. I think this would result in a wider range of probability so possibly more hits at the top end but also more misses at the bottom.

Has anyone tried this already? If not do you think it would work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom O'Keefe
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Ever buy snakes from the Egyptian, Taffey?
mbmbmbmbmb
I think 2d6 is pretty important to use, because of the predictability you mentioned. The game can swing wildly based on whether or not 2 or 3 key attacks during the course of the game hit, and to throw even more luck into the mix would tilt the game toward waiting, hiding, and avoiding risky combat.

Plus, remember, rolling doubles causes knockback and there are no doubles on a d12.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur chang
United States
torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I believe the reason we see many 9 AV's and 16 DV's is that the designers wanted the game to be more "predictable", and 2d6 gives you better average rolls in that range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Thornton
England
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhh the knockback indeed. Yes that is fairly integral for sure. I think you're both absolutely right though, as it definitely being designed with the 2D6 probability range in mind.

I might still run a small game to see how much a D12 unbalances things and then if I like it (I do like the unpredictabledevil ) figure out a separate knockback mechanism.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.