Thumb up
1 Posts

Chez Geek 3: Block Party» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Session Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Evans
flag msg tools
After our third go-round of Pass The Bomb we came into the home stretch of the evening's last game. With my games for many players reaching an end, we finished with Chez Geek plus the two expansions, which Sanjay had asked me to bring.

The basics of Chez Geek I covered in my last session for the game.

The Players: Katie H, Jason S, Brian A, Rachelle C, Sanjay M, Vicki P, Corey R, and myself (Mark E.).

The Play:

As usual, Chez Geek was confusing, obtuse, and got some laughs. It's hard for me to be rah-rah about this game at all, and if Sanjay hadn't requested it, I wouldn't have brought it.

Chez Geek lacks something for me. And that's a shame, as I think the humor is just a riot, and the depiction of dorm life is spot on. But the rules are overly complex for such a basic card game, and the strategy is minimal, especially when all three expansion packs are thrown into the mix.

It also didn't help that we were all approaching the burn-out point due to the late hour, but we plowed on through to the end. Brian won on his turn, but did so by playing two activities despite having only one free time. We were so off the game by this point that we let him win anyway.

Chez Geek gets by on its humor value only. If the game wasn't funny (and believe me, it is) it would have very little by way of excitement or redeeming value to me.

Katie wanted to give it another chance as she didn't feel she grasped it even at the end (But honestly, if we played Citadels which is 3x as easy to learn and about 30x more fun, why would you want to?), though Vicki even admitted that the game wasn't much but the cards were fun to read.

That's why I have the game, but I would never, ever use this to introduce people to new games or even suggest playing it period. Despite my extremely generous 6.5 in my first session report, I've got to say that Chez Geek is now probably in a permanent 4-5 rating zone for me, depending on my mood.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.