Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
tom-le-termite
United States
ft lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wyps can be played online at http://www.littlegolem.net . This is where Friendless and I played this game. This is the story of the session, round by round.

Players:
Black: tom-le-termite (first player)
White: Friendless

Round 1, tom-le-termite: Available letters: E S C

I decide to start with my three letters, not on a corner as I usually do. however, the close proximity of the lower-right corner gives me opportunities. I decide to play -Sec- not as a line, which is easier to defend.

Round 2, Friendless: Available letters: I A G F

John connects two side by playing -Fags-, stealing my S. In the mean time, this position, might make my next move difficult with the coming letter, preventing me to connect the two side, just like I was hoping for first.

Round 3, tom-le-termite: Available letters:R P E I

I needed to cut is connection on one side at least. stealing the A and connecting it to the rest of my letters would be too complicated, so I decide to focus on the F. I wanted to put a black letter on the low-right corner, but I did not find a word that would allow me to 1-take the corner, 2-steal the F, 3-connect to my other letters. I therefore decide to give up the corner and put as much letter as possible to secure my right corner for now. With this move, I leave no vowels to John for the next round which will make is move difficult. I play -Prief- and steal the F as planned.

Round 4, Friendless: available letters: N M R S

Taking the corner is definitely the good move to do, however, with only consonants, taking the corner and one of my letter is complicated. John put 3 letters down, -Mars- using his own A, but does not convert any of my letter, which give me a number advantage.

Round 5 tom-le-termite: Available letters:M W J N

Only consonants again. If I play 3 letters, I would give him a I, which I don't want to, I therefore focus on stealing him a letter, putting down only 2 of mine. I also need to do an offensive move, to connect the lower side, to force him to defend, to try to prevent him to extend in one specific direction. I play -Jews- putting down two letters as planned, stealing his S, connecting the bottom side.

Round 6, Friendless: available letters: R M R N

With no vowels, John has very few possibility, the easiest thing would be to steal my E. He may also don't want to play 2 letters (if he could), preventing me to access 2 vowels next round. John plays -Mews-, stealing my E, and breaking my connection to the bottom.

Round 7 tom-le-termite: Available letters:I R N N

I need to attack his line, to be able to reconnect my two side, and try to extend to the right side. To do so, with one vowel, taking the M or the S would be difficult, I therefore decide to take the E, playing -Emir-. I realized to late that i could have played -Rimes- and steal the S, which may have put him in a more difficult situation.

Round 8, Friendless: available letters: H R E N

John needs to repossess the E i previously stole from him. He put down the R to play -Rimes-, taking the E back. I aslo realized that if I had taken the S previous round, it wouldn't have matter anyway.

Round 9, tom-le-termite: available letters: H T E N

I could try to use all my letters and extend. but I need to steal one letter from him to break is line. Stealing his R is not an option for me because if I do so, he would take it back next round and extend to the last side and win by playing -Roar- or something else. I need to focus on a more strategic letter, more on the bottom, to force him to play in the bottom, and therefore prevent him to extend too far on the right side. I decide to play -Thews-, stealing his S, reconnecting, and extending toward my last side on the right.

Round 10, Friendless: available letters: D A R N

John here has no choice but to cut my line by stealing the C or the S, to be able to reconnect.He plays -Draws-, stealing back the S. However, this move doesn't give him any beneficial progression on the other side at all, as all the 3 letters he played don't participate for the extension effort. My strategy to force him to play on the bottom, somewhat worked out.

Round 11, tom-le-termite: available letters: K O S N

At this point, I need to cut is line again, as low as possible to again, force him to play on the bottom, since I have a 2 letters-wall, it is safer for me. I extend upward, playing -Snores-, stealing the S again, cutting his group of letter in 3 entities. In addition, my position on the upper part is significantly reinforced.

Round 12, Friendless: available letters: T E G K

John successfully take his S back by playing -Grimes- but his line is relatively weak, compared to my position on both side.

Round 13, tom-le-termite: available letters: N E T K

Due to my strong position on both side of his line, I can now steal one of his top letters, connect my two blocks, and I am close enough to the right side to reach it and connect the 3 sides altogether. I play -Rent-, which is the final move.

This session was a "regular" session I would say. A game, in average is 10-11 rounds, so we didn't fight for 20 rounds, like it sometimes happen. The major decisive move in this game (in my humble opinion), was on round 10, when john did not take advantage of the situation, and wasted a lot of energy on the bottom, for no improvement of his situation. However with the letter he had, it was a difficult move for him.

thanks for the session john, please play again with me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom-le-termite
United States
ft lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
after thinking about john's possibility in round 10, I see this as a very difficult move for him. stealing the C or S from the top would have been more beneficial.
Indeed, his moves are limited. DAMES, stealing the S from above would be a possibility, putting 2 letters down. However, this would give me the chance to do MINORS next round and win the game.

I am still looking for options on round 10, but with my 2 strong lines on both side, I don't see a better move than the one he actually did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Aspley
Queensland
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
MARS on turn 4 was probably a mistake, I should have played FARMS and reached out to the left. Having a group connected to 2 sides and with an S facing the other side would have been useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc laumonier
France
near Marseille
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nice to see that
Tom is impressive ! :-)
in french & so in english
have fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.