Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve had Raj on my want list for awhile, but it’s always a little overpriced and I wasn’t overly excited about the theme (although I imagine it’s as tacked on as it is in Beat the Buzzard). When I saw Beat the Buzzard at a great price on ebay, I bought it on impulse. I knew the artwork would appeal to my kids.

The game takes about a minute to explain. After teaching the rules, my wife said "is that it?" Sometimes we dumb down games for the sake of the kids, but in this case the rules were already dumbed down. That’s not to say the game is dumb or doesn’t require any thought. We all actually enjoyed it and I’d recommend it to anyone who likes simultaneous selection games.

The game is played in 15 fast rounds. Each round a player selects from his or her set of cards numbered 1 to 15 and all cards are played simultaneously. The card played is a bid on one of the cards displayed with a value of -5 up to 10. Highest card wins positive cards while lowest card takes negative cards. Ties cancel each other out. That’s it in a nutshell. It reminded me a little of For Sale, which our family really enjoys.

My son, Konnor (6 years), had a little trouble with the concept of saving the big cards. After 10 rounds, all he had left was 1 to 5. He ended up winning three positive cards, which were all canceled out with negative cards. My daughter Kaylee (8 years) ended up with just two positive cards, which were also canceled out by two negatives for a grand sum of 0. Both kids will need practice in order to avoid the negative cards...but I think they’ll get it after a few plays.

I picked up the 10 when my wife and daughter both played the 15 card. My son played the 13 card, which I thought was an interesting bid. He made a few interesting bids throughout the game. I ended with 25 points while my wife had 15. We might take it easier on the kids next time, but it was the first time playing, and we didn’t know what to expect.

Overall, it was a pretty fun game and I’m glad to have acquired it. My wife gave a thumbs up, which is always a good sign. Both kids begged to play it again, but it was already close to bed time. Plus, I hadn’t sleeved the cards yet -- a must when playing with kids (we let my 3 year old play too but she just tossed in random cards which were ignored by all...). I think this could hit the table regularly, especially as a game we can play as a family when we only have 10 minutes or so but want to squeeze in a quickie...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bas Suverkropp
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the things I like about this game is that there are no illegal moves so actually your three-year old can play if she can select a card every round, doesn't matter if she does not understand the game yet!

This is a perfect and hilarious quicky to play with the kids
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.