Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Carpenter
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a huge fan of Quest for the Magic Carrot, however, I am aware that one of the criticisms occasionally levelled at Quest is the 'lottery' nature of it: you can have worked really hard and got 19 carrots but that other player wins because they've got the one Magic carrot! yuk

Now we have Journey to Jupiter which as well as the above system (referred to in the rules as the 'Tournament' option) we also have two other options. Quickie where you score points for bunnies, ships in space, carrot markers and carrot cards and there is no Magic Carrot; or Casual where you score points for carrot cards but the Magic Carrot is worth more.

In the few games we've played we haven't had the heart to play the Tournament option which seems a little harsh but we have tried both the Quickie and Casual rules for scoring. And (dare I say it?) I think I actually rather like the Quickie scoring rules! laugh They just seem to reward every aspect of play and can make the end result a lot closer.

So, what do you other Jupiter Journiers think? Do you stay traditional and play Tournament or is Casual more your thing? I'm curious to know what others think!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's ok both ways - See we play games to have fun. Not necessarily to win. In KB (quest and jupiter) most of the fun is found in the various mechanisms of the game (in my opinion at lease)

My family enjoys turning over the cards 1 by 1 - it's almost like a mini game in itself. I can seee the point of scoring the point method as well. But it changes the gameplay. For example in the last game I played I went for a dramatic overwhelming win by trying to whipe out my oponents before the final carrot got returned to jupiter. This encouraged them to team up against me and prevented me from my goal of an assured victory. I may have even have lost the game. If we were playing with point rules I may have retreated to safety - not necessarily a worse play - just diferent.

Therefore I've found both ways fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.