Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryvre is Awesome
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My friends and I demoed MindFlex at GenCon 2009.

The basics:
You move a ball through a mini obstacle course using the power of your mind! More specifically, you put on a little bio-feedback unit. When you concentrate, it turns on a small fan that raises the ball. You control the progress of the ball around the course with a small dial. You have to maneuver the ball through obstacles at differing heights by either concentrating harder or relaxing.

You can add or subtract obstacles to adjust the difficulty. Some of them are fairly easy, like hoops, and others are more difficult, like an enclosed slide you have to guide the ball up. We only tried the easy ones, but the harder ones looked interesting too.

Playing:
We all had a bit of trouble at first. I could raise the ball up easily enough, but I had a lot of trouble lowering it to go through a hoop. One of my friends had a world of trouble raising it up, but he had great control over it as soon as soon as he figured it out. There's not much too it once you get the hang of it.

It's a lot of fun for the first few minutes, but I can't imagine playing it more than a time or two. It would make a great desk toy though, and it might be fun to pull out at the occasional party.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dan schnake
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a constant line at GenCon for this fascinating biofeedback game.

I have similar doubts about its longevity... But it's really cool.

Other issues are price (80 bucks) and ergonomics (ear clips).

All that said, Mindflex would definitely be a good party game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jojo Conwell
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the straight dope here;for cutting past the hype to actually explain that it's not all mind control as the dial is used by hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
Greece
Marousi
Athens
flag msg tools
Game on!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't get it, why do you need a headset for then
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
myles
United States
Mustang
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD !!!
badge
100 geek gold and this is all I get? :p
mbmbmbmbmb
If there's just a stupid dial to control it, how is this different than all the stupid versions of this from that past couple of decades?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The dial controls the mechanical air vent (it's simply a hole in a ring, but the mind controls the power of the air. The more you concentrate, the stronger the air - which then lifts the foam ball higher into the air. Losing control is easy (just have someone disturbing you) but lowing the air pressure by NOT thinking is pretty hard.

The apparatus is able to keep score for several players - to some extend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.