Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: painting [+] to_read [+] [View All]
Adam Sherry
Canada
Truro
NS - Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Slev, I know you haven't been able to get into the painting again lately, but I was wondering if you could take the time to answer a question on painting.
You seem to have a good idea of what you're doing (and I don't) so I was wondering if you could tell me how you would go about painting your Space Hulk genestealers to look like the left Tyranid in the pic below:

I love the style myself, and I'm not overly fond of the purples suggested on the gamebox. I've tried tackling this black, grey and red scheme myself, but I'm really a noob painter.

What I did was, prime in black, then paint the entire body with Adaptecus Battle Grey (a foundation). I follow that up with two coats of Black Wash. All this does is really get me back to a very dark grey/black position, but its far more shadowed and detailed that just the primed version.

I don't reallly know where to go from there. Should I drybrush grey, and then lighten it an dry brush more?
Should I avoid dry brushing all together, and "highlight", which I've never done before.

How about those red areas. I've tried a few times to get something like that, but nothing looks nearly as good as that demo. I'm questioning abandonding this scheme, its too hard for a newb painter.

Sooo,any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
I know how it's done, I *can* do it, and it mostly uses stuff from the techniques I've shown. It's not going to be quick or easy, and I would never chose to use it for anything extensive nor for teaching a newbie.

Look at how I did the claws. The same techniques where used on the "armour", blending from black in the centre to light grey on the outside.

The difference is that it's done using a flattened and splayed-out brush. Use an old brush for this.

A much easier method for a similar effect is to drybrush successively lighter layers of lighter and lighter grey over the plates along the length of the figure (from the back to front). As long as the brush moves in a straight line, it'll look fine. Then give it a light wash of Badab Black.

For the skin, you want to paint the "red" areas with Deneb Stone, and then a blend of Deneb Stone and black. Once you've blended down to black, wash the skin Baal red and you're away. Much easier than blending red to black which takes forever.

Of course, you could always just use Baal Red over Deneb Stone and not bother with the extra shading, which will still look fine, but be a lot less hassle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sherry
Canada
Truro
NS - Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply.
I'll give it a shot (likely with the dry brushing rather than the blending for the armour).

Thanks again, I'll let you know how bad it goes, heh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sherry
Canada
Truro
NS - Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind, before these I had painted 4 figures in my life. So I'm very much new to this.
I've still got some touching up to do, and I need to take the time to take better pictures, but here's where I'm at so far.

The pictures don't quite do the Genestealers justice (the red looks far darker than it does in person. In picture you can't even tell there are two shades of red used). And you can find a million things to pick apart when you look up close, but since I am still very much learning, I am very satisfied with how good they look at a gameplay distance.

Thank you for your help and inspiration Slev.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Kenney
United States
North Haledon
NJ
flag msg tools
Gotta catch 'em all!
badge
I like shorts. They are comfy and easy to wear.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh! More pics of the Marines, please. And nice job all around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent stuff for an early attempt.

Actually, my physiotherapy is going very well, so hopefully I'll be paining again soon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sherry
Canada
Truro
NS - Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jkenney23 wrote:
Ooh! More pics of the Marines, please. And nice job all around.

The Marines aren't great. I used a metallic paint that is likely made for model cars or something. It was thick, and awful to work with. It destroyed brushes on impact. If I could do it all again, I would not use it (in fact, I've browsed ebay for someone selling just the Marines from Space Hulk, but I doubt I'll pay for that).

Anyway, they're not done yet, but here is a (rather poor) picture of most of what I've got done on them so far. I'll try to take a closer picture on the weekend, but I'm pretty bad at capturing miniatures witha camera.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well boys & girls, my physiotherapist has declared my original injury healed. I still have some collateral damage in my shoulder muscles, but this is much easier to fix.

I started painting again this week. Just some Runebound/Descent figures to get back in the habit.

It's Summer StabCon this weekend, so after that I'll be finishing off my 'Steallers and moving on to the Marines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Riggan
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
woohoo!!!
Glad to hear you're back to good health. Can't wait to see what you do with the Blood Angels
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bird
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Y'AI'NG'NGAH,
YOG-SOTHOTH
H'EE-L'GEB
F'AI THRODOG
UAAAH

Hi Slev,

My apologies to you (and all) for the thread necromancy, but I just wanted to say that I followed your advice on page 3 for painting the door bases to the letter, and I simply could not be any happier with the result. So thanks muchly for this thread and all the wisdom and advice it contains!

Of course, with these done and dusted, I now have to summon the courage to start on the minis themselves... blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No apologies necessary. Glad it all helped

Alas RL is hamstringing my attempts to get the Marines painted. Oh well, it'll happen eventually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Due to improvements in my health and having some free time, I've finally made a start of the Marines!

I started with Squad Gideon, no particular reason, it just worked out that way.

I began with the same basic undercoat as with the 'Stealers:

Then I started on the metal areas, since they're messy, and at this stage I can just re-undercoat the rest of the model. I drybrushed starting with Tin Bitz:

Then Boltgun Metal:

And then, to make the metal stand out more than on the 'Stealers and doors, Chainmail:

For areas that I wanted to stand out (shield trim and the top icons), I added an extra drybrushing of Mithril Silver;

And finally, for areas that would be gold, I drybrushed Shining Gold:

Next, I'll re-black the areas I spilled over onto.

Note that the metal isn't actually finished yet, as we'll see later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Next up, we paint all the armour in Citadel Foundation Mecharite Red. So long as we don't get any of this on the metalics we've painted already, we can be as messy as we want so long as ALL the armour is red.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Perreault-Dorion
Canada
Laval
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very happy to this thread come back to life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very glad that my posts on this thread are still being well received, and also glad I can paint once more

Moving on just a smidgen, as it seems I need to make a supply run for more Blood Red, this is as far as I can get until the weekend.

The next stage is to paint the armour again, this time in Blood Red. You'll probably need two or three thin coats. Once this is done, I re-undercoated all the non-metallic, non-armour areas (i.e. the bits we've bot gotten to yet) in black. This doesn't have to be excellent yet, as it's more so we can clearly see the armour edges for the next stage than anything else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bird
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slev wrote:
I'm very glad that my posts on this thread are still being well received, and also glad I can paint once more

Amen, brother. Your own re-instatement to active painting status after a long(ish) hiatus gives me hope, as I'm currently in a bit of a hiatus myself, due to unforeseen and unfortunate circumstances.

Keep up the great work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, slowly making progress, I've now the entire squad up-to-date with the top coat of red:

The next stage is a highlight. This involves painting a thin line of paint along the edges of the armour plates, raised areas, ridges, etc. I've used a 50/50 mix of Blood Red and Blazing Orange:

Unfortunately my attempts to take close-up-shots of this stage failed spectacularly:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One more stage before bed, I've used a fine brush to paint a very thin line Blazing Orange onto the very edge of the most prominent raised bits. This is probably the only hard bit involved with the Marines:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the lack of updates the last week-ish. I've been making use of the weather to get my house sorted.

I hope to finish of this first batch of Marines this soon. I'll not be specific lest I jinx it.

It's worth noting that I *could* put on the wash I'm intending now, but I'd only have to go back to other areas as is, so I'm going to hold off. The wash will finish teh armour nicely though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jubby32 wrote:
I tried another color scheme than Slev, what do you think?

They really look amazing! I loved how the dark wash gave 'em that "dirty" look... afterall, Genestealers doesn't bath frequently

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moving on, the scrolls on Purity Seals and elsewhere where painted Deneb Stone then Kommando Khaki, followed by a 60/40 mix of Kommando Khaki and Skull White. The scrolls that are not part of the Purity Seals where then given a coat of Rotting Flesh to give them a different hue.

The seals on the Purity Seals where painted Haumagaunt Purple then Imperial Purple. The raised edges where then painted with a 50/50 mix of Imperial Purple and Iced Blue. I then upped the mix to 75% Iced Blue and highlighted no more than a third of the very edge of each seal.

The stone areas where painted in Astronomican Grey, then Ghostly Grey. For the Ghostly Grey, I had a minimal amount of paint on my brush, and moved the brush perpendicular to the grain of the stone carving, acting a little like a drybrush but much more controlled (sometimes referred to was "wetbrushing").

A similar technique is used on the ropes, this time using Khemri Brown, then Beastal Brown then Snakebite Leather.

The Cloth areas are basecoated in Khemri Brown, then Desert Yellow. The raised areas and edges are then painted with a mix of Desert Yellow and Vomit Brown, before the very edges are painted with pure vomit brown.

The bone areas we know how to paint, but I'll be skipping the wash for now.

The bases are painted in Tin Bitz then Boltgun Metal.

I'll noe clean-up the paint that may have been miss-applied.

Finally, I'll wash the ENTIRE model in Delvan Mud wash. Yes, I said the entire model. All the colours we've done so far have been painted over bright to accommodate this. It will shade darken and blend the model, giving a unified pallet.

This just leaves the eyes and gems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moving on again...

The red gems are painted up, highlighting the centre in pure Blood Red, highlighted on top of that in a Blood Red/Blazing Orange mix, and then a tiny top highlight of pure Blazing Orange.

I've been adding some more precision washes:

I added Asurman Blue to the seals of the Purity Seals and to the head of the Thunder Hammer to make it look energised.

I also added some Gryphonne Sepia to the gold areas and to the scroll-work (but not the Purity Seal scrolls).

Further the armour has a wash of Baal Red to add a little more colour depth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moving on to the final stages!

The eyes where painted Knarloc Green as a base coat, then Snot green. They where highlighted with a thin line of Bilious Green. The scopes and sights where painted with this same technique.

As you can see on this gauntlet, the edge of the black areas was painted with a thick line of Chaos black (75%) and Codex Grey (25%). A thinner line of 50/50 mix was then painted on the edge. For very prominent edges, an incredibly thin line of pure Codex Grey was added.

The white areas where basecoated in Deneb Stone, then painted over in a 50/50 mix of Deneb Stone and Skull White. Edges where highlighted in pure Skull White.

Though I failed to take any pictures, the wires/pipes where painted Iyanden Darksun, then either Golden Yellow or Desert Yellow. Where I stripped the two, I painted the desert Yellow first and added Golden Yellow stripes. Over this I added an exceptionally thin coat of Delvan Mud wash, before washing it properly with Gryphonne Sepia.

For the Gems I want to a more blue-purple than the pink-purple GW used, but similar processes apply if you want a different colour.
I first painted them al in Haumagaunt Purple. Over this I painted them in Liche Purple. I highlighted this in a 50/50 Liche Purple/Lightning Blue mix, concentrating on the wider area of the gem. Successive Highlights (pure Lightning Blue then a 50/50 mix with Skull White), each formed a smaller version of the gem within the previous highlight.

Captain Gideon's face was painted in Tallarn Flesh, then Elf Flesh. His hair was painted Scorched Brown the Graveyard Earth. His face and hair where washed with Ogryn Flesh, then his hair given a final highlight of Graveyard earth.

This leaves our figures basically finished. Those good at Freehand can paint words onto the plates and scrolls. Those of you who aren't good at freehand painting, put the first layer of varnish on and join me for the next step.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How to cheat at lettering.

This mini has had it's first coat of varnish.
The pen is a "fineliner". It has a soft-ish fibre point and uses pigment rather thank ink.

I use it to literally write the characters onto the moels. Alas for my dyslexic dysgraphia.

This guide is now at teh point where you can paint *most* things in teh Space Hulk box, although I'll go through the rest shortly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.