$10.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
14012 Posts
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [561] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Women and Gaming

Subject: Ladies! What was the last game you played? Or the last 3, even? What game is hot for you right now? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kerrin Addis
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great thread to see what other women play.
My last 3 games were Agricola, Agricola and Agricola, I cant get enough of it.
Family version or with cards, 3,4,5 player. Its different every time.

Other favorites: St Petersburg, Le Havre, and just added recently Alhambra.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
We played Monstermaler last night, for the first time. We'd not played it before, and I wondered how it would go as a family game.

Playing with the 6- and 11- year olds gave us a very restricted set of people to choose from, but we all had a lot of fun. I noticed that the 6yo was a bit more adventurous in her drawing the second time round.

Characters (Round 1) were:
- Queen Elizabeth II
- Ruby the Red Fairy
- Auntie (F's sister)
- Harry Potter.

Characters (Round 2) were:
- Shannon the Ocean Fairy
- Hermione
- Muaa (from Winx Club)
- Stormy (from Winx Club)

I don't know that it would be my first choice to play with the girls, but it was a lot of fun. I can see this one becoming a regular at game night, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TracyB
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
"I run to breathe the fresh air. I run to explore. I run to escape the ordinary. I run…to savour the trip along the way."
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not long back from holiday. We went walking in Austria, in the Tyrol region - what a beautiful country; mountains, lakes and apple strudel - oh my!

I took Citadels, Murdero & Keltis: Der Weg der Steine Mitbringspiel with us and Keltis saw lots of play. What a fun, addictive little game.

Since returning we've also played Dragonland which was great fun. I was worried that it would be too simple because it's billed as a 'family' game, but the ability to use different strategies give it a nice bit of depth. Of course the components are very nice too!

I've had Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization for quite a while now but haven't managed to play it yet. My partner has become resistant to learning long or 'complicated' games, but after only introducing light ones for the past few months I think the time may soon be right to suggest it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody Ludwick
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
TracyB wrote:
I took Citadels, Murdero & Keltis: Der Weg der Steine Mitbringspiel with us and Keltis saw lots of play. What a fun, addictive little game.

I understand that Keltis can be played with a deck of Rage cards... I'm going to have to look into this one. Thanks TracyB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katherine Rosland
Norway
Stavanger
Rogaland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh! I tried Monstermaler at Spill-o-Rama 2009 for the first time just a few weeks ago

I really enjoyed it, though I can understand the restrictions involved when playing with children. Sometimes, though, restrictions apply to adults as well. We had one friend, who, when presented with the challenge of drawing half of a Playmobil man, drew half of Hitler instead, since he had no idea what Playmo was... I think it adds an interesting challenge to the game laugh

Another game that I really enjoyed is Tales of the Arabian Nights. I played it for a second time last night, and I really enjoy the feel of it. First time I played it was, again, at Spill-o-Rama. I've played it with 4 people both times I tried it. I wouldn't want to play it with more than that, but I'm eager to try it with 2 or 3 players.

It's not so much a game, more like a story. It can seem a bit daunting with the charts and numbers you need to roll to find which encounter you have, but it actually works. I felt it filled my roleplaying need, though there aren't many choices, and just let me enjoy the story.

Another game I played at Spill-o-Rama this year was El Grande. It's not the first time I've played it, but last time was quite a while ago, even though it's a game I like. It's a much heavier game than the two aforementioned ones, I quite like the area control aspect, and the voting, or betting for the action you'd like. Hopefully it wont be as long until the next time I play it again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Knight Games
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From Susan:

We've just added two games to our collection and played them several times:

Blokus
Easy to teach, fairly quick playing time makes it a nice filler.

Agricola
What an experience this has proved to be. The game is huge, with the theme very strongly linked in. This has proved a hit and should see quite a few plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawson
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea for a thread -- thanks!

I typically play games with my children (10 year old son and 7.5 year old daughter), occasionally including my mostly non-gaming husband.

Last night, we played Frank's Zoo and Queen of the Cupcakes all together. Most recently before that, the kids and I played RoboRally (in which my Twitch, trapped on a spinning gear in a laser field with no ability to move away, experienced being pushed into a pit as a merciful end to suffering). Generally, the kids and I have been playing a fair amount of Zombinion, for which my daughter has developed a particular enthusiasm. I enjoy it whenever we play, even though continued plays have confirmed to me that I'm really not very good at it.

The last game I played in an all-adult setting was Goldland . . . I really like the adventuring feel of it.

I'd love to play more Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game and Arkham Horror soon -- wish me luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan F.
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My last 'real' game was actually a game of chess against a co-worker yesterday. I hadn't played in years! He played a very unorthodox game so it was a really fun challenge. This weekend, the family played Oregon, Dominion, Race for the Galaxy and Vikings (strangest game ever; we had 8 ships come out in the first round!). Dominion is probably our "hot new game" and my sister likes it enough that she's been playing on BSW too.

More recently, I've played a lot of Race for the Galaxy against the computer lately - mostly playing with the Rebel vs. Imperium expansion since I don't have that one yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
flag msg tools
mb
smithhemb wrote:
Cracks me up how much overlap there is here for me. Not only Jill's simultaneous and equally social/relationship-oriented post, but lots of Qwirkle Cubes, FITs, and Los Banditos being played here lately ...

Well here's another great coincidence: My husband stumbled upon your post about The Downfall of Pompeii's 5 & 6 player variant. My game group wanted to play this last week, but more that four wanted in on the action, so we passed rather than play it twice with different groups due to lack of time. I brought it along to game night last night and Kevin grabbed a number of purple and green cubes for a 6 player version while I set up the deck.

The guys had a blast!!! That game works so well as a six player game!! It's such a mean, tense race that way. Yes, you lose a lot of control over your "dudes" while five other players determine your fate, but if you plan ahead and spread out a bunch you can still pull off a win. Six was definitely tight but fun!

So a big thank you to Sue for asking about the 5 & 6 player variant! I really appreciate finding out that it's so easy to do and works well too!

The other game that was a huge, huge hit was Midnight Party. I bought Amigo's Mitternachtsparty German version with the beautifully illustrated board. We opened with that race/filler and by the end were laughing so hard and yelling "HUGO! HUGO!" so much the neighbors must've wondered.

P.S. Ferti did come through on my missing Pitchcar rails. Yay!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fischjello
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I just got back from a week in Atlanta, working at DragonCon. Before going, my boyfriend and I made a pilgrimage to Joanne’s for a craft storage box so we could take our copy of Dominion with us without damaging the box -- that’s how much we are enjoying it. (Came home to find my BGG promo cards had arrived and will probably test them out tonight).

While at DragonCon we picked up our very own copy of Puerto Rico (about time!) which we played the hell out of.

One of our friends brought Archaeology: The Card Game which we had never played. We really liked it. I’m finding a lot of Z-Man games in my hot favs these days.

One we didn’t bring, but have also been wearing out through frequent play has been Finca. I L O V E it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ah! Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal! Ha ha ha! Mine is an evil laugh! Now die! Oh no god! Oh, dear God in heaven!
United States
san jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After owning Agricola for about a month, we FINALLY played last night. Honestly, that was the first game that we both had high expectations for and LOVED IT! It will probably see some action again tonight after watching Weeds and playing Beatles Rock Band...busy night..

Also, finally got in a decent game of Battlestar Galactica last weekend before we got the expansion. My friend was visiting from CA. It was a lot of fun, but the cylon was revealed in the first turn...

My brother was in town for a weekend so we had a game of Ticket to Ride: Märklin, now he is addicted to it.

All three are on my hot list, but I do have several that have not seen the table at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Muldoon
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lately I have been playing a game called "planning my wedding", which is a multi-player game that needs at least 2 players to be any fun...it's cut into my gaming time, but is guaranteeing me an opponent for life. I mean partner. whistle

BUT! I have been lucky enough to play Middle-Earth Quest about 5 times this past month, from 2 to 4 players; last time I played Sauron and won in a very close game. I love this game; the hand-management element is great, the combat is fast but interesting, and we get really submerged in the theme.

I also just learned my first CCG, Netrunner which is pretty addictive, although you shouldn't let your opponent set up your "random" deck

The standbys in the house are Dominion (with expansions), and Race for the Galaxy (with expansions).

We have a lot of other games in our repertoire, but MEQ has really eclipsed everything else, despite its long playing time. Until we have kids, we are going to cram in as many big games as possible!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shari Stidam
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My last three were Agricola, 10 Days in Africa, and High Society

It was my second time playing Agricola and we were all new to the game, basically. I'm not sure we played it exactly right, but I'm pretty sure we were close to following the rules. I know we did the sowing wrong (to my disadvantage!). I'm hoping we can get another session in soon while the basic rules are still fresh in my head.

I really like 10 Days in Africa. I picked it up at DragonCon and have played it several times since. It's simple to learn, but stays challenging enough. If nothing else, I'm learning the countries of Africa, which helps at trivia. laugh

High Society is a card/bidding game that is also a great short game to play as a starter/in-between game. I recommend it if you like bidding games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kat Hofer
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hey! I just got home from a 5 hour game ofDescent: Journeys in the Dark and I was playing as the overload! I lost though but it was close (They only had 2 conquest left or something like that)

Earlier today we had a game of Agricola!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lesley Atlansky

Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'm not going to count the three games I just played with the kids (4 and 7) - Maask, Incan Gold, and Das Zauberschloss.

My more fun three games recently played were Dominion, Robo Rally, and Camelot Legends.

Hot games right now are Dominion (we just got it) and Finca.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Fabulous
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing a lot of Pandemic on BSW..

Also frequent and popular with me is Stone Age or Tut..

I recently learned the new version of Condottiere... loved it. Am determined to purchase it soon. It's my new Hot game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara Bernardo
United States
Franklin
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hummm....

My last 3 games were: Dominion: Intrigue, San Juan, and Typo.
What's hot for me right now: Small World, Stone Age, Agricola, San Juan, Dominion... shall I go on? Heh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Current hot games I got to try this weekend at the EGG game day and looking forward to playing again:
Hansa Teutonica
Power Grid: Factory Manager
At the Gates of Loyang

Highly recommend Tobago for the mixed and family crowd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-matt s.
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/blog/22
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jody wrote:
TracyB wrote:

I understand that Keltis can be played with a deck of Rage cards... I'm going to have to look into this one. Thanks TracyB

Or Trumpet cards:

Same with the expansion Keltis: Neue Wege, Neue Ziele

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
temazur
Canada
Oshawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's see....

Descent this past Saturday (the base set, not any expansions...yet)
Two weeks ago was Give Me the Brain and Zombies!!!

We've also played a little Berserker Halflings from the Dungeons of Doom - not my favorite B movie game, but we couldn't find my copy of Bellbottomed Badasses. We have since found that and I expect it to get a little more play time.

I've also been hitting up Ticket To Ride on Xbox arcade lately. Oddly enough I've never played the regular board game copy, only the electronic version.

They guys I roleplay with really enjoyed Descent, so I'd say that's what's "hot" right now for me, though I'm trying to convince my SO to play Knights of the Dinner Table Hack again - we used to play it all the time a few years ago.

Tracy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vicki Scheele
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love this opportunity to rave about a new favorite. It Court of the Medici, a two player card game that is really fun a quite meaty. The other two most recently played games are old faves, Agricola and Nexus Ops. Nexus Ops is a war game that plays well with 2,3 and 4 player. I enjoy occasionally kicking some interglactic butt!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Let's Play Two!
United States
Collinsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
melissa wrote:
I love the top 10 lists, but sometimes I just want to talk about what is new in my life.

Strangely enough, the last game I played was Dominion - and it's the first top 10 game I've tried! My 8 y.o. son and I took it for a spin 3 days ago and while I knew it must be a decent game, I wasn't expecting to be blown away by it. Wow -- just wow. It was like picking up a book you know very little about and not being able to put it down. Now I know what the buzz is about. Onward to Agricola!

My primary gaming partners are my kids (5 and 8 yrs. old) so the other 2 most recent plays have been Sorry! Sliders and Tumblin-Dice Jr. at the request of my daughter. Tumblin Dice Jr. was another pleasant surprise -- I wasn't expecting much, but found it to be a really fun dexterity game (with a bit of a mathy component to make the mom in me happy). We've also been enjoying Numbers League: Adventures in Addiplication, Captain Clueless: Lost in the Caribbean and Who? What? Where? Jr. recently - all of which my kids are requesting frequently.

As you can see, lots of kids games in my recent history (and fortunately, there's no shortage of great kids games out there, now that I know where to look). I'm biding my time until I get to play a larger percentage of "grown up" games -- looks like we're heading in the right direction with my son!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luna Lovegood
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The last three games I've played have all been solitaire Race for the Galaxy. I've just discovered it, and it's TONS of fun! (Although slight disclaimer here: I don't know how much of my enjoyment is due to the fact that I've only had one solitaire game for the past couple of years, and so I'm just enjoying the variety. I do really like the multi-player version too, though, so it's probably largely the game itself.)

The last three games I've played with other people were Pandemic, Streetcar, and Amun-Re, all at game night Saturday. (We also played Ra.) Amun-Re is one of my favorite games, and unless I'm specifically in the mood to play something else, I'll always play it if someone suggests it. I'm actually planning on customizing the board with pictures of ruins in each of the areas listed. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos O.
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hadn't realised I had any gaming prejudices until I saw this topic, read women expressing their enthusiasm for Combat Commander and got my head spinning in disbelief (well, except for Kai Jensen).

Wargaming women are a white elephant around here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
The last three games my wife beat me at were:

Agricola (a trouncing)
Talisman (despite having to restart from a Reaping)
Chaos in the Old World (anyone having difficulty winning as Tzeentch needs to see her in action).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [561] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.