$10.00
Kristi Lawless
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Ask not for whom the dog barks. It barks for thee.
mbmbmbmbmb
pyr-shep wrote:
Finally got to play some live games again, after spending hours on Yucata these past days.

On Wednesday I played:
- Trajan
- The Castles of Burgundy
A real Stefan Feld evening!

Yesterday I played:
- Pantheon.
- Ghost Stories. Played twice. No win this time either. We rarely win.

I've really wanted to play Pantheon. How was it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played

Kingdom Builder (still obsessed),
Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age
and also played
Through the Desert for the first time (2p). Really liked it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim K
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mamadallama wrote:
We played

I've been really interested in Kingdom Builder since it came out. Curious what you like about it - what's got you obsessed? meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Rehaug
Norway
Ler
flag msg tools
Hi! I'm Macaos. A cute, kind, sporty and fun Bearded Collie. I enjoy lying under the table when Macao is on the table.
mbmbmbmbmb
lilacdog wrote:
pyr-shep wrote:
Finally got to play some live games again, after spending hours on Yucata these past days.

On Wednesday I played:
- Trajan
- The Castles of Burgundy
A real Stefan Feld evening!

Yesterday I played:
- Pantheon.
- Ghost Stories. Played twice. No win this time either. We rarely win.

I've really wanted to play Pantheon. How was it?

I find it to be a fun game with various ways to score point. Only one action each turn, but you always want to do so much more.
Some luck with the card drawing, but that's fine.
And it's fun walking over the board with those feet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jood shine
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sue thanks for the feedback on feudality - appreciated..hmm!

horror! we went out at the weekend = less game time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kingdom Builder several times

Halma after playing this so many years i still end up like a sheep dog at the end!

Carcassonne: Inns & Cathedrals

At the Gates of Loyang twice while i was on yucata at the same time..felt like i was tripping by the end!

ow and we played half a game of belfort to see if our feelings had changed..they hadnt and its gone! which now leaves plenty of room for my birthday games - yaaaaaaaaaaaaaah
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristin Crane
Canada
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
callie7 wrote:
Mamadallama wrote:
We played

I've been really interested in Kingdom Builder since it came out. Curious what you like about it - what's got you obsessed? meeple

thumbsup

With everyone talking up Kingdom Builder, it's put it back on my radar. To those that have played it, can you tell me how it compares to La Città? I already own that game and worry that KB is too similar.

We played Cosmic Encounter with five this weekend. I learned a valuable lesson playing that game; always do your homework! It is a negotiation/bluffing game and I went into it thinking it was more a space attack game. Needless to say, I came in dead last. No one to blame for that but myself as I should have really taken the time to read the rules or a few comments beforehand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Betty Egan
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the Game Summit in Ottawa yesterday played Alien Frontiers. A really nice looking game and tons of fun. I love it.
Also played 3 in row of Race for the Galaxy against hubby and won all three! It's probably our fav 2-player, but I think my new Alien Frontiers will hit the table a lot now too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercedes (Mandy)
Japan
Setagaya-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tokyo Game Market here I come!
badge
Sorry if I'm slow in reading mails. I'm currently working hard on some Alley Thieves
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a lot of new games yesterday.

I finally played Agricola and absolutely loved it. I thought it was quite easy to learn and I just love the interaction and the actions people cam take. Great game!

I also played Carnival which came out in the kickstarter campaign a little while back. It is a Great! game. Easy to teach, it has dice & cards, set collection, hand management & interaction. I think this would be a great gateway game to Euro-style games. (It's easy to miss some important points in the rule sheet as it's in the side column but it's a great game)

Also, I played Tsuro which is great! Such a fast game to play, and lots of fun! So easy to learn.

And of course Rattus, which I think will replace my copy of Pandemic even though it's not a cooperative game.

Red November is also a fantastic game. Having this & Rattus totally replaces Pandemic Red November has less of a chance of someone dominating the game, as you are all trying to run around fixing the submarine. It's a lot of laughs also. Plays 1-8 players which is a bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stasia Doster
United States
Sherman
Texas
flag msg tools
If I am not gaming, I am reading!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just mentioned to Jood over on Yucata that I still have not played Agricola even though I own it. I am obviously going to have to break this game out!

Sounds like you had a great game playing day!

merc007 wrote:
I played a lot of new games yesterday.

I finally played Agricola and absolutely loved it. I thought it was quite easy to learn and I just love the interaction and the actions people cam take. Great game!

I also played Carnival which came out in the kickstarter campaign a little while back. It is a Great! game. Easy to teach, it has dice & cards, set collection, hand management & interaction. I think this would be a great gateway game to Euro-style games. (It's easy to miss some important points in the rule sheet as it's in the side column but it's a great game)

Also, I played Tsuro which is great! Such a fast game to play, and lots of fun! So easy to learn.

And of course Rattus, which I think will replace my copy of Pandemic even though it's not a cooperative game.

Red November is also a fantastic game. Having this & Rattus totally replaces Pandemic Red November has less of a chance of someone dominating the game, as you are all trying to run around fixing the submarine. It's a lot of laughs also. Plays 1-8 players which is a bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercedes (Mandy)
Japan
Setagaya-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tokyo Game Market here I come!
badge
Sorry if I'm slow in reading mails. I'm currently working hard on some Alley Thieves
mbmbmbmbmb
scdoster wrote:
I just mentioned to Jood over on Yucata that I still have not played Agricola even though I own it. I am obviously going to have to break this game out!

Sounds like you had a great game playing day!

You should totally play this game.

For Agricola, we played with 5 players, 4 experienced and me, and it was awesome. They taught me the basic outline in about 2-5 minutes, then I just jumped right in. It's easy to learn for those that have played Euros before. I've only played these games only once: Fresco, Prince of Florence, Stone Age before playing Agricola.

I think it took maybe 2.5hrs? 3? It felt like no time had passed. I could have played double that time. At the end of the game I had that happy feeling that I had played a great game. Agricola is such an exciting game It has a nice tension...oooh the time is running out ,I need to do this and this...ooh he might take that spot...oooh. I now know why it's rated so high.

Definitely a great game to keep in your collection. It's so elegant and some of the things are cute and funny
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eboshi wrote:

With everyone talking up Kingdom Builder, it's put it back on my radar. To those that have played it, can you tell me how it compares to La Città? I already own that game and worry that KB is too similar.

It is not at all like La Citta. KB is very light. I would consider it a filler. My geekbuddy

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
a train/war gamer is in love with KB, I fail to see the attraction. I think it's fine for what it is and am happy to play it on occasion but would much rather play La Citta
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
callie7 wrote:
Mamadallama wrote:
We played

Callie, I think it's just the right weight for me, but I like medium to medium light weight games. Each time you play, you have a different board set up and different objectives you're striving for. With only one card drawn each time, plus the hexes you collect it's important to maximize your options. I am better at seeing the optimal moves for some objectives than others, plus sometimes I can see the moves I want to make and can't get to them. I find all of this a lot of fun, trying to figure out ways to get the plays I want.

It's quite quick playing, as Lorna was saying she considers it a filler. However at our house, games of over an hour are not popular with my husband and son, so that makes it more likely to get to the table more often. I think our 3p games come in at about 30 min.

It took me quite some time to figure it out but games that many consider fillers are the ones that get the most play with my group and I've been able to rope them into the whole boardgaming mentality with my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristin Crane
Canada
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments Lorna and Kathy! I like to play games of variable weight, as do my gaming partners. Two of us were absolutely batty for La Citta, while the third felt the game was just so-so. His strategy was mainly to focus on growing one large city with tons of farmers and never really branched out from that.

If I had my way, we'd be playing Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) every weekend. But time constraints and group interest take precedent over my desire for a five hour epic space battle. I think Kingdom Builder will be a better fit for our 3p gaming nights and as Kathy said, more likely to hit the table.

Now to convince my spouse that we really need another game in the house devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristi Lawless
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like both La Città and Kingdom Builder, and I agree that they are very different games.

La Citta is more complex, has conflict, a longer game, etc.

Kingdom Builder is more simple (with hidden depth), and I would consider it almost more of an abstract game.

They are both good. If there's more time, I'd prefer La Citta. If I need a filler, then Kingdom Builder is a good one for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristi Lawless
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And here are my games played last weekend.
Belfort
7 Wonders with 7 Wonders: Leaders
Glory to Rome
Eminent Domain
Puerto Rico
Alien Frontiers
Epigo
Encore
Spades
Kingdom Builder
Biblios
Nanuk
Tribune: Primus Inter Pares
Bananagrams

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday we played Walnut Grove, The Adventurers: Temple of Chac, and Yahtzee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, Kristi! You hit the jackpot! What a nice list of games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristi Lawless
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mamadallama wrote:
Wow, Kristi! You hit the jackpot! What a nice list of games!

I was at Con of the North.

But honestly, I think we get more games in at our regular monthly meetups.

I'm not complaining, mind you. meeple

I didn't get a chance to play Peloponnes and I really wanted to. One of these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peloponnes sounds really interesting; hadn't heard of it before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mamadallama wrote:
Peloponnes sounds really interesting; hadn't heard of it before.
Peloponnes, is a cool auction game. Kind of a similar feeling to In the Year of the Dragon though in that you are constantly trying to prepare or minimize disasters. Plays quickly. I liked it with 4 or 5 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joline
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pfff finally read back everything.. (every time I started reading, people would come and distract me )

We just had a gaming night last sunday and played Power Struggle for the first time. A really tense game! although I cam in last with only one VP I could have won if only the game had gone on for one more turn (Iwould have had enough VPs for sure, but the other players might have passed me anyway )

Then we filled some time with Rune Age, we did a lot better than last time even though it was still a horrific loss

And we finished with our first play of Power Grid, which was pretty tense aswell one of the other players sneaked past me only in the last turn, to block me in building and than win on a little cash difference Nice game I must say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristen Hansen
United States
Lawrenceville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally played Puerto Rico (with the two-player variant) for the first time last night. And ... I think San Juan might have ruined the experience. Lots of, "What do you mean everything produces at once?" and "I have to have a guy on the plantation and the production building?" I just felt it was a little tedious. Now, this could be because I just corned him to death on the ships and went the VP way, but still. Maybe it's better with more than 2p?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stasia Doster
United States
Sherman
Texas
flag msg tools
If I am not gaming, I am reading!
mbmbmbmbmb
Played Elder Sign with Beth again last night. We won again, although it was another close one. I enjoy the game, but my main beef with it is that it is too easy to win. Beth loves it though, so I think we will be playing it fairly often.

We set the table up last night to attempt Dungeon Run, a new game to us. I hope we enjoy it. I guess we will know later on tonight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jood shine
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kristin - we play it 2player and love it..it does sound like the other game has ruined it for you rather like hearing a cover version for an old song you love!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristin Crane
Canada
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jood wrote:
kristin - we play it 2player and love it..it does sound like the other game has ruined it for you rather like hearing a cover version for an old song you love!

Thanks for that, jood! Made me start laughing out loud while standing in line at the coffee shop laugh

Kristen, I like Puerto Rico and San Juan. We started with Puerto Rico so when we switched to the card game I loved how it just streamlined the game. Can totally see how you guys would have the reaction you did.

Been a great start to gaming already this week. Picked up Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 1 – Team Asia & Legendary Asia and Star Trek HeroClix: Tactics at the game shop last night. I have been playing heroclix for a few months now and really like it. I am interested to know if other women play any miniature games. There are a wide variety of them out there. I personally started with heroclix because I read a lot of comic books.

TTR Asia maps seemed like a good fit. One map is for solo play and the other is for team play. I can totally see us trying both variations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  46 , 47 , 48 , 49 , 50  Next »  [567] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.