$10.00
Christine Biancheria
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SPOILER ALERT! Don't go on if you don't want to know anything about certain quests.

I tried a few of these quests out. One was the Broken Bridge. It talked about putting spiders on the board without any clear indication of where they should go. Also, there's a glyph at the end that is some kind of exit to a throne room. But if you go through it prematurely, can you come back? Does this mean it's not a glyph you can use to go to town? If you can't use that glyph, then there are too few glyphs. On the other hand, it was the best of the three or so I tried.

I tried Chaos Cube, too. First off, everyone had a hard time getting the rules of adjacency and that slowed things up. In the end, pretty much everything is adjacent to everything, which just seemed downright silly. It would have been better just to say the map pieces were maps and not cubes. Also, it seemed like a good strategy would be to split up in the cubes to prevent spawning and maximize treasure collection, but standing around in empty rooms is not very exciting. It was unclear to me when the teleporting happened: at the end of the heroes turn or the OLs? I finally decided the OLs. Anyway, my first thought as OL was to try to start knocking them into separate cubes. But the first thing they did was teleport together to the second cube and kill everything. Then to the next one and kill everything. Each time they opened a chest, they rolled no treasure. Just a conquest or a curse. There needed to be at least a 50-50 chance of treasure, I think. My group couldn't really level up as a result of never rolling treasures. Plus, since they just zip through the first few boss monsters, it takes them a while to figure out how to maximize the chest rolling and by then, there's not many chests left. It was just goofy and not so much fun. We quit in the middle.

I also tried the Gamemaster. It sounded fun, and it was, for a while. The heroes have to race to gather conquest before a certain number of turns. The problem was, if they do something out of sequence, they lose chests. By the time they figure out the puzzle of how to not lose chests, they've pretty much lost enough to not win. There was maybe too little margin for error in the quest. Mess up the first time around on the chests and kill a good hero once, and you're pretty much close to screwed. This one would be better to play a few times and just know all the secrets, and then see if you can beat the clock. My group didn't beat the clock. So I put the boss on wherever I wanted since it didn't say where to put it. And by then, the dungeon was soooo stuffed with monsters it became a terribly slow, frustrating, slog-a-thon that went on eternally. My suggestion would be to just play the race part. Also, the table of contents says you need Tomb of Ice to play it and you absolutely do not. I also wondered if it would be broken-ish if one of the heroes got the smash-doors-apart skill.

I'm worried that some of the scenarios are too "clever" for their own good and weren't playtested enough. Not enough to make sure they were fun and not enough to uncover and fix the ambiguities.

I'm willing to forge on with it, in hopes that there are some good ones there. It was such a great idea, but it looks like a pretty slapdash execution.

Bummer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Biancheria
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Mr. Skeletor's analysis is very much on target. I also wish that they would update their scenario editor beyond just the Well of Darkness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Biancheria
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One more thing: if you do try the chaos cube quest, remove all weapons from the deck that have knockback because you can't knock the monsters into the teleports.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Christine Biancheria wrote:
I think Mr. Skeletor's analysis is very much on target. I also wish that they would update their scenario editor beyond just the Well of Darkness.

Me too. And I want it more than any other product they could come up for Descent (even started a thread around here on the subject). Oh, boy...

I will certainly pass this one - and will wait very patiently for the input of Sea of Blood. Once upon a time I used to bought everything Descent as soon as possible. Well, not anymore.

Still a great game, though, but the expansions are taking the risk of becoming unnecessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Stingel
Australia
Cairns
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just cancelled my pre-order for the Quest Compendium, thanks for the heads up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukasz Biernat
Poland
Dabrowa Gornicza
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems that they learned nothing.
When they announced the quest book, I hoped for small, managable quests that can be finished in 3 hours, and are playtested with any number of players. They gave us this instead. Let the errata begins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Placerville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mr. Skeletor. I know it is not my place to defend another person but I would not call the creator of the World's Largest Dungeon and City a "hack" Mr. Cook is an amazing person to talk to in life and also the only person I can say with confidence that comes close to Gygax and Arneson in being able to design dungeon's scenarios and improve rules for the RPG industry.

I can't believe a gamer such as yourself would call these people "hacks". Kevin Wilson, Monte Cook, and even Corey "hacks"? More than ever I think you should have thought that one through before making a ridiculous claim such as that.

That being said I am not as upset at the complexity of the dungeons, more I am upset at the obvious lack of any play test. As a writer for FFG I know they have an excellent editorial staff. Why I see typos in every FFG product and not in the graphic novels that I read is beyond me.

Poor form sir. You have a fundamental right to be angry, but I think the words you chose to voice your opinion are poor form.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Glisson
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
www.scottsigler.com/gfl
badge
I'm gonna keep signing my posts so just let it go already.
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget to get their autographs when they do!

Kraken Fan #69

Not that I would expect them to be upset by your comment. I think they would read it as I felt it was intended as sort of a "challenge." But what do I know?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I legally own hundreds of polyhedral assault dice!
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Being a completist, I bought a copy. Not a fan of the "crooked" maps and title pages. But, eh, it's mine now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Biancheria
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As for the idea of typos, the Compendium doesn't really have a problem with typos. It wasn't that kind of editing/proofing problem. Rather, at least in the initial quests we looked at, there were just big holes that made the scenarios unplayable as written, like missing room descriptions or discussions of figures that were not on the maps. I do think Mercy would be a fun challenge to play on the timer part. I haven't gone through all of them in detail (because I want to be a hero on some, and not always OL), so I can't speak for the whole thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is now a fan made Tile set to use with the TileSystem. Link to the FF forum discussion.
[url]
http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?e...[/url]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
Christine Biancheria wrote:
As for the idea of typos, the Compendium doesn't really have a problem with typos. It wasn't that kind of editing/proofing problem. Rather, at least in the initial quests we looked at, there were just big holes that made the scenarios unplayable as written, like missing room descriptions or discussions of figures that were not on the maps. I do think Mercy would be a fun challenge to play on the timer part. I haven't gone through all of them in detail (because I want to be a hero on some, and not always OL), so I can't speak for the whole thing.

There definitely are typos as well. Several misspellings/incorrect word usages/etc, but those are nitpicky in nature. The real problem is as mentioned. Flavor texts not jiving with whats on the map, map tile counts being off, rules inexplicably alluded to but never given, rules misplaced so they look like they apply to specific sections when the intent looks to be they apply to the entire quest, room descriptions not matching the labeled area at all/misnumberings/lack of playtesting/giving carte blanche to the quest writers without any sort of editing or playtesting being done in house, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
zinho73 wrote:
I will certainly pass this one - and will wait very patiently for the input of Sea of Blood.

Have you had a chance to play the fan-made quests? Should keep you busy and I look forward to hearing which ones are the best!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
zinho73 wrote:
I will certainly pass this one - and will wait very patiently for the input of Sea of Blood.

Have you had a chance to play the fan-made quests? Should keep you busy and I look forward to hearing which ones are the best!

No, but I've made a bunch of my own quests using the old editor, and they were quite well received in my game group, but it just became too much work updating the tiles and creatures names "on the side" and I gave up.

There still a couple of quests from Tomb of Ice that I have not tried, though. Once we are finished with them, I will probably get back to the editor...cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott G
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Even after reading all of this, I went to FFG and bought the compendium. I've hosted/DM'd dozens of games. I'm quite sure that I can fill in any lapses in the writing, rules, or pieces. I do it all the time in the existing quests.

I really doubt they are so bad they are unplayable. Just adapt.

(Of course my compendium hasn't arrived yet, so I could be very off base.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Biancheria
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can do some adapting, but it can have a major effect on gameplay. Some would be very hard to adapt. For example, on Quest 2, you'd have to make up the whole final room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
Adapting is well and good when you are playing DM in Dungeons and Dragons and some quest you're playing that was written by someone else doesn't have what your players are doing covered. No biggie, it's a friendly game. But since this is a competitive game the rules need to be clear cut, otherwise, "adapting" is nearly the same as "cheating" in many circumstances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DarkKami wrote:
Mr. Skeletor. I know it is not my place to defend another person but I would not call the creator of the World's Largest Dungeon and City a "hack" Mr. Cook is an amazing person to talk to in life and also the only person I can say with confidence that comes close to Gygax and Arneson in being able to design dungeon's scenarios and improve rules for the RPG industry.

1) So when did Descent become an RPG?

2) Dude, relax.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.