Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
"I'm a Nay Saying worm beast!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It occurred to me that Lines of Action could be played on a hexboard also, with the same rules as usual. You could even play with three players (and it could be the variant mentioned in this thread):

Has anyone already thought of this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
Could be pretty cool. I'd love to give it a go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten ◄► Wesel
Germany
Pinneberg-Quellental
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When do we meeplemeeplemeeple meet to play this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Shultz
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried using a printed out hex shaped board with 3 people a few months ago and what I didn't like was a certain change in balance. In the normal square 2 player game there are an equal amount of pieces that you can and can't jump over. This feels really nice.

In the three player hex game there are more pieces that you can't jump over than can. I felt that this bottlenecked the game.
I didn't think about it at the time but by contrast it's possible that the capturing possibilities were too many.

On the other hand (and I can't believe we didn't try this after printing a hex board) the 2 player hex version looks like it might work out nicely.

It just occurred to me that an abalone board fits the component criteria. (which btw is also an attractive donor for Yavalath).

I have a different idea for a 4 player version, but after seeing these nice diagrams I think I'd prefer the drawing rout as opposed to the wordy one. Do you use illustrator?

Daniel
- who still hasn't actually played abalone -
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
guitarsolointhewind wrote:
In the three player hex game there are more pieces that you can't jump over than can. I felt that this bottlenecked the game.
I didn't think about it at the time but by contrast it's possible that the capturing possibilities were too many.

After a quick solo run, playing the three players myself on my Yavalath set, I feel much the same way. Toward the end of the game, it was necessary to maneuver around the clusters of pieces to join them, since jumping was impossible. Even capturing was not so easy. Probably, the three players game need a more careful approach in the opening phases, and not the mindless race to the center I did!

guitarsolointhewind wrote:
I have a different idea for a 4 player version, but after seeing these nice diagrams I think I'd prefer the drawing rout as opposed to the wordy one. Do you use illustrator?

Actually, I whipped it up with Pages, using the images for Yavalath in the rules section of IGGameCenter, and adding some circles and the captions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Shultz
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking that this might make for an interesting 4 person variant..

the four players are:
blue - white
blue - black
green - white
green - black

Each player tries to connect all of their pieces as normal.
Blue pieces can't jump over green nor green over blue.
Blue can jump over blue and visa versa

Blue pieces can't capture Blue pieces (nor green capture green).
Blue can capture green and visa versa
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds interesting – I'll try it for sure. I'm gonna use my normal checkers set: two players will use the pieces as normal, the other two will use them inverted (upside down).

A partnership game, 2 vs. 2, could be interesting also...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Shultz
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. Let us know how it goes. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try it as well along with the 2 player hex version.

With the checkers, if it ends up being too subtle to spot the difference between the inverted piece and the regular piece, you could set something like a dime on half of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Perry
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Any Game. Any Time. Anywhere. Except Bunco
mbmbmbmbmb
In response to the person who said that this three player option creates too many "blockers." Maybe you could try an idea borrowed from three person crokinole... the only pieces you cannot move over are those belonging to the person who moved just before you... that may improve the feel of this version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave doma
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
6 hexes per side on the board and 12 pieces for each player could work really fine. Even it would allow to introduce a 4 players variant on this board.

4 players variant on a standard square board can be played on GoldToken under the name, "team action" and i must say the solution that Daniel propossed for the standard 4 player game looks really nice for me.

A very interesting thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.