Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

Silent War» Forums » Rules

Subject: Use only TF results? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Lorenzen
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I had a question about the campaigns that say the sub should only use TF results. Like in campaign game 1 it says the the Subs in SMZ Midway must remain in the Midway Island SMZ for 2 turns after which they must RTB to Pearl Harbor. Does this mean that only TF results are used in it's first 2 turns in the Midway SMZ? Or must it only use TF results wherever it goes thereafter.Can it even attack in the first 2 turns here? Same thing with Wake Island SMZ deploy zone they just stay there the first 2 turns and can't attack? Just kind of confused about some of the campaign setups.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
dan0808 wrote:
I had a question about the campaigns that say the sub should only use TF results. Like in campaign game 1 it says the the Subs in SMZ Midway must remain in the Midway Island SMZ for 2 turns after which they must RTB to Pearl Harbor. Does this mean that only TF results are used in it's first 2 turns in the Midway SMZ? Or must it only use TF results wherever it goes thereafter.Can it even attack in the first 2 turns here? Same thing with Wake Island SMZ deploy zone they just stay there the first 2 turns and can't attack? Just kind of confused about some of the campaign setups.


It means that if the Sub encounters anything that is not a Task Force, it ignores it and continues hunting. The role of these subs was to specifically target TFs, so they ignored the small merchant convoys etc.

In gameplay, it means that any non-TF result on the encounter table is ignored and treated as "no encounter"

After being in a SMZ, I believe that all subs must RTB. Obviously, it is business as usually after it refits/rearms.

Hope that clears it up and let me know if it doesn't!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Lorenzen
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Thx. The only thing it doesn't clear up for me is if I can use those subs that were told to stay in the SMZ for combat in the turns they weren't allowed to move when they were deployed in the SMZ at the beginning of a campaign. (Like the deploy in SMZ Wake for Campaign 1).

Thx
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
dan0808 wrote:
Thx. The only thing it doesn't clear up for me is if I can use those subs that were told to stay in the SMZ for combat in the turns they weren't allowed to move when they were deployed in the SMZ at the beginning of a campaign. (Like the deploy in SMZ Wake for Campaign 1).

Thx


They can combat in the SMZ if they encounter a TF, nothing else. Treat all other results as no encounter.

When a sub leaves an SMZ it may not patrol it MUST RTB.

So those subs are effectively going to patrol in the SMZ for a turn or two, either combating task forces or having no encounter.

Then, they will RTB with no other patrols possible.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Lorenzen
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Ah I see sorry I'm so dumb. So once they RTB do you remove them from play?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Lorenzen
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Oh that's a dumb question I now get what your saying, no other patrols possible till they RTB. Sorry for my dumbness again. And they use the TF only requirment *always* until sunk not just that 1st 2 turn patrol patrol at the beggining. All subs that are designated as TF only use requirment that for all patrols till sunk in fact. I better write those sub's names down so I remember them...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
dan0808 wrote:
Oh that's a dumb question I now get what your saying, no other patrols possible till they RTB. Sorry for my dumbness again.


No worries. Have fun!!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
dan0808 wrote:
Ah I see sorry I'm so dumb. So once they RTB do you remove them from play?


Only if they are sunk or decommissioned! Remember, after Pearl Harbour the subs are all the Allies have left!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Lorenzen
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Heh me again. Just to make sure (I'm a stickler for detail) I'm doing it right. In a campaign where a sub starts in a SMZ and it says must return to a certain base in the transit phase of the first turn (such as the SMZ Lingayen Gulf for the s-36 in campaign 1) it cannot engage in combat that 1st turn, it must just move even though it starts in a SMZ.

I understand that units that are told to remain in a SMZ can engage in combat w/o an endurance check for the turns that it is told to stay, just unclear about the ones that are told to move that 1st turn.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Boutet
msg tools
mbmbmb
It says TF results only in the set-up instructions for S-36 so even though she's to return to base that first turn, there's still a slim chance she could bag something.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrol phase is before transit more, so do your patrol and then RTB during Transit (ie like a failed endurance roll).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Phelps
United States
Canal Fulton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GeneSteeler wrote:
...and then RTB during Transit (ie like a failed endurance roll).


Not so...latest ruling is that subs that fail and endurance check may not transit move until the following turn (i.e. they are immediatly placed in the Done area).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
Asyncritus wrote:
GeneSteeler wrote:
...and then RTB during Transit (ie like a failed endurance roll).


Not so...latest ruling is that subs that fail and endurance check may not transit move until the following turn (i.e. they are immediatly placed in the Done area).


oops sorry!!! Been over a year since I've played blush
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh "Der Spieler" Spillers
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asyncritus wrote:
GeneSteeler wrote:
...and then RTB during Transit (ie like a failed endurance roll).


Not so...latest ruling is that subs that fail and endurance check may not transit move until the following turn (i.e. they are immediatly placed in the Done area).

Thank you all for your help. I do want to make sure I have this absolutely correct, though, as I am about to start a campaign.

From the Scenario Book [31.13]:
Quote:
Deploy in Special Mission Zone Lingayen Gulf
(No Patrol Movement is allowed for this submarine, and she must RTB to Manila in the Transit Movement Phase of the first turn.
Only contacts with TF results are used.)
S-36

So in Turn 1:
1. S-36 conducts the Search and Contact Phase (TF results only).
2. S-36 skips the Endurance Check, and is automatically marked as RTB in the Done section of South China Sea 1.

And in Turn 2:
S-36 Returns To Base (Manila) in the Transit Movement Phase.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Mahlstedt
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still have my problems with this "TF only" issue.

In my eyes there are two ways to understand this term:

1. Just engagement results that lead to a TF engagement are accepted - all other rolls are seen as "no contact". Finding a TF lets one draw according to the engagement table, using all four cups and not changing meat balls for rising sun counter.

2. One is accepting TF results only too, but now only Cup D is used (like in the Hawaiin Island OpArea) and the player is expected to replace drawn meat balls with rising sun counter.

I would be thankful, if one might explain to me, if case 1. or 2. applies to the war events, e.g. for "The Battle of Midway".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dan0808 wrote:
Oh that's a dumb question I now get what your saying, no other patrols possible till they RTB. Sorry for my dumbness again. And they use the TF only requirment *always* until sunk not just that 1st 2 turn patrol patrol at the beggining. All subs that are designated as TF only use requirment that for all patrols till sunk in fact. I better write those sub's names down so I remember them...

Er, is this right? Surely the "Use only TF results" limitation applies only so long as the subs in question are in the SMZ at game start? Or does this limit really apply to the whole war?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Phelps
United States
Canal Fulton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it only applies to that encounter.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Thought so.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yet another question about this. I understand that the subs that start in SMZs (like Wake and Midway) only use TF results. But what about the subs that start in the Hawaiian Islands Op Area? The scenario book says they must RTB on the first turn (which now I understand actually means turn 2), but it also adds "Only contacts with TF results are used." If they are marked with RTB, how can they have any contact with any enemy ships, TF or otherwise? Shouldn't they have the Transit side up at game start?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Stevens
Scotland
Kelso
Roxburghshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Christoph,

I am with you - this is still unclear after reading the FAQ.

I am going to play that your case 1 is the way to play. When a 'TF only' encounter occurs I will use case 2 and only draw rising sun counters in Column D.

Now what happens when playing with IJN expansion and your TF Only contacts a Loner? Does he engage or not??

Neil

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Murdock
United States
Euless
Texas
flag msg tools
Grotius wrote:
Yet another question about this. I understand that the subs that start in SMZs (like Wake and Midway) only use TF results. But what about the subs that start in the Hawaiian Islands Op Area? The scenario book says they must RTB on the first turn (which now I understand actually means turn 2), but it also adds "Only contacts with TF results are used." If they are marked with RTB, how can they have any contact with any enemy ships, TF or otherwise? Shouldn't they have the Transit side up at game start?


I believe this means that they roll for TF contacts on Turn 1 and then, no matter what happens, put an RTB marker on them and flip them to transit side. Then on Turn 2 they transit move home.

As to the TF only rules I think there are two separate cases. I only restrict it to column D if the SMZ or oparea or whatever specifically tells me too and in other cases use the full gamut of the TF.

This is borne out somewhat by the '32 campaigns special event where you only use C2 and TF results. A lot of C2 results would be meaningless if they only used Column D.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your reply. Sounds reasonable to me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.