Subject: Painting the Plastic rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Greenwood
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello Geeks!

After about 2 years of deliberation I've decided to order Twilight Imperium. It wasn't for the gameplay (Although the idea of Master of Orion meets Axis & Allies is a huge draw for me), no, my decision was finally tipped by the plastic ships. I love painting miniatures, and after having a blast painting my Descent characters, some fighters, dreadnaughts and platforms sounds like a lot of fun.

Has anyone else tried painting their fleets? Any suggestions for schemes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Has
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
I've been thinking about painting mine as well and there aren't a lot of examples here on the geek. What I thought would be cool would be to have a separate color scheme for every race, basically a color scheme that matches their flag or logo or whatever. Problem with that is there are a lot more races than there are colors of ships, so I'd need to buy more.

As far as painting schemes here are a few examples I found on this site:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Greenwood
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Those are pretty nice. I was thinking having each color be different in scheme. Have one be glossy clean metal color with only the wingtips and nose in the team color, and another look pitted and scored with the team color showing through in the wounds. It would give each color its own feel like an ordered civilization verses crazed mercenaries.

Maybe I'm just thinking to much into this, but I think its going to be a blast painting these models.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgand
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've thought about it and want something a bit better than just the basic, monochromatic pieces, but they really don't seem to lend themselves well to painting. They're detailed, but mainly with a lot of little bumps and ridges that don't really seem to encourage painting. Maybe a wash to bring out the detail, but that's about all.

The other problem is that the ships are not assigned to races, they're just general-purpose. Sure, it's nice to mate obvious color choices: Yellow with Hacan or Red with N'Orr, if for no reason other than easily matching race with player, but there are more races than colors and some don't always match perfectly.

Maybe seeing a really good paintjob would change my mind, but at present I really can't see a way to do it and get good results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jelle schouwstra
Netherlands
flag msg tools
I love painting my warhammer minis, but I keep failing at painting boardgame minis. I clean them, put some primer on,paint them and varnish them (with a spray).

Your ships look awesome!
How did you do it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trundorn trundorn
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
we are proud of our "Templar" & "Black Templar" schemes.
only 7 differents schemes for now, we are searching for new ones

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.