Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Darden
United States
Lake Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Have they gone insane? There really isn't a lot in there. I love the game and all, but that's just nuts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I get the stickershock, another way to look at it is you'll probably pay $20 through one of the online retailers. That's $10 an expansion. And you're not really paying for the bits. You are paying for two well-developed, well-reviewed, game-changing expansions that make a great game all the more interesting. When you consider that the only purchasers are going to be a subset of purchasers of the first game (excluding those that got the expansion in the oringal essen sets from winsome), we're talking about a very small run. Small runs = High per unit costs.

All that said, I haven't bought it yet (and am wondering if I need to since I have narrow guage from the essen set), so who am I to talk...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You were able to get it for $30 including shipping from Winsome back in August. Pretty sweet deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joshp wrote:
You were able to get it for $30 including shipping from Winsome back in August. Pretty sweet deal.

Both expansions? Sold separately from the respective sets in which they were originally included? Really?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it was the Queen packaging. John got some sets for GenCon, but made them available direct to those that asked for one. He charged the MSRP, but shipped the game out without an extra charge. Being able to get the expansions before they were in my FLGS and shipped for free made it an instant buy for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Too bad I missed it. I'm certain to tuck it into the next order, though. I'll be trying out narrow guage in the meantime. And the rest of the essen set, which, despite my best intentions remains unplayed. Damn this hobby with all its good games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
$30 is still expensive considering that the components do not cost more than $3-$4. Wait and you can buy it next year for half that price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoMan wrote:
$30 is still expensive considering that the components do not cost more than $3-$4. Wait and you can buy it next year for half that price.

I'm not in the business, but my guess is $30 MSRP is not monopolistic pricing, but rather just about gets them economic profits (i.e. a decent IRR). Given that most online retailers sell it for about 30% off MSRP, you've got to figure the wholesale price is somewhere around $15 per unit. Given what has got to be a pretty small print run - I'm guessing about 1000 considering there are fewer than 2000 BGG users owning the base game and not everyone buys expansions and unsold inventory is THE margin killer - their fixed costs (i.e. design, prepress, etc.) have to add a considerable chunk to the per unit. Not to mention the license fee and/or royalties. Then marketing. Then there is indirect and overhead (i.e. their rent, salaries of staff, etc.). Figure that at least one person worked full time on this for at least a month (and that is probably an underestimate given negotiating with winsome, working on the art, etc.), at a $60,000 salary plus benefits, we're talking $7500 right off the bat. That is $7.50 per unit if they only run 1000. The license is probably a couple of grand, too.

So, the fact is, components are probably the cheapest part of making a project like this go. I guess we're just in a hobby that doesn't have great economies of scale - particularly for expansions on great but rather heavy games.

I'd be curious if someone who actually knew the industry could comment.

So in the meantime: buy it, enjoy it, forget the cost. Just think about the cost per hour of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costas
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
claudio212 wrote:
Just think about the cost per hour of fun.

And fun it is - if you like Chicago Express, these expansions add a lot the gameplay. Even though we're talking about a relative few physical components, they sure pack a punch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Briarcliff Manor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I paid $18.00 and change for my copy, and did it as part of a big order to avoid shipping charges.

Totally worth it, IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Williams
United States
Lebanon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It always amazes me that people think they are paying for bits, when they are really paying for knowledge... Buck up and play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Darden
United States
Lake Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
$20 I'd pay. But there really isn't enough in here to justify more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Steuperaert
Belgium
Desselgem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I been on the lookout for the basegame since a while.

I found a shop who sold the base game in essen for 25 euro and 17 for expansion, if i bought both i only had to pay 35. that was a rather nice deal imo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Dew
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoMan wrote:

Unlikely. And unfair. War in the Pacific is really just a couple hundred sheets of paper....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
I have a few spare copies of the Queen expansion that I'll happily sell for $20 + S&H from Californian.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Johansson
Sweden
Vittinge
flag msg tools
"The world's blankiest blank"
badge
Amazon.de has this for approximately 8 euro right now, and it includes rules in multiple languages. They usually have reasonable shipping costs within EU, but it's probably not worth it if you are in the US.
http://www.amazon.de/Queen-Games-60528-Chicago-Erweiterung/d...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mizzou95 wrote:
It always amazes me that people think they are paying for bits, when they are really paying for knowledge... Buck up and play!

Sure, but stuff like that really depends on perceived value.
I might write the best novel ever written, and it might take me 20 years to complete it, but if it's only 100 pages, nobody will want to play $50 for it. Even though it might be my life's work.

So yes, I think the expansion is good, but yes, I think it's very expensive for the perceived value of the package.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.