Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Manning
United Kingdom
Dartford
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are tones of Zodiac signs for use out there - just need to look.

Here's a nice, clean set for free use right here:

http://roundpixel.org/?page_id=11
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chen Changcai
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Luthervamplord wrote:
There are tones of Zodiac signs for use out there - just need to look.

Here's a nice, clean set for free use right here:

http://roundpixel.org/?page_id=11

Thanks for the link. Here's the card using the cleaner Zodiac signs.

These are some of the cards with all colours and signs. It's much better than the initial version. Thanks to everyone's contributions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Manning
United Kingdom
Dartford
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ccube78 wrote:
Thanks for the link. Here's the card using the cleaner Zodiac signs.

These are some of the cards with all colours and signs. It's much better than the initial version. Thanks to everyone's contributions!

You are welcome - Glad I could be of help. Might have to see about creating a system around these cards now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chen Changcai
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have put a label under each zodiac, to make it more complete. The latest version (v1.11) is uploaded (http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/48531)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chen Changcai
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Any ideas or suggestions for the Joker and card back? With requirement of keeping ink usage low.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
on the card back I'd put a clock-like wheel consisting of the 12 zodiac signs, each in a circle that has got the corresponding color you gave it.

presently no idea for the jokers, though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
In keeping with the zodiac theme, what about using a moon emblem for the jokers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chen Changcai
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bill_andel wrote:
In keeping with the zodiac theme, what about using a moon emblem for the jokers?

I found that there are star constellations that correspond to the 12 zodiac, so I would think stars are another alternative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ccube78 wrote:
bill_andel wrote:

I found that there are star constellations that correspond to the 12 zodiac, so I would think stars are another alternative.

Ooooh yes! Put star constelations there and you win my day! kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Manning
United Kingdom
Dartford
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about a famous representation of the Zodiac in it's totality?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeevveez/2927343448/

I found the following image through Google's Advanced Search feature - It is labeled as "Free for commercial reuse" which covers you in all eventualities.

For the Joker; I'd say you need a simple Fool/Joker image similar to those used in the Zodiac set.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Jester_kicking_the_world_%28Punch,_volume_1,_1841%29.png
(URL Function doesn't like ":" in address lines).

It's as close as I can find within legal restrictions (Commercial use) but if you were to edit out the world from the image, as well as the shadow - invert the image and add a border you could probably get away with fitting this image in.

Tell you what; I'll work on the image and post my working's later for your approval.

EDIT: Image ahoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark D. Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bill_andel wrote:
There are four in your deck, right? I think the phases of the moon would be a good addition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chen Changcai
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the layout as suggested. I put the symbols on the card back, to have some relation to the symbols on the card front. And the Rainbow Deck lettering to enforce the idea that it is the card back.

For the Joker, I have gratefully used the picture as provided. Tried to add a star or two alongside the joker pic, but it just seems out of place, so I just leave it alone.

The PnP version actually has 6 jokers, so unfortunately the 4 moon phases cannot be incorporated in. The Gamecrafter version has 4 jokers as they print in batches of 16 cards, and it turns out there are only 4 cards left for joker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Though the Joker looks funny, he has got nothing to do with the rest of the game ..

What about a yin-yang symbol?

As for the cards' back, a bit more colour would be nice ..

like this:

(http://www.hamburger-heilpraktiker-fachschule.de/Seminare/Ti...)

(would go along with the above mentioned yin-yang symbol, too ..)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Good to hear Rainbow Deck is going into production. Don't listen to those who call the design ugly. I find it clear and clean.

Look over the geeklists for Sticheln and Rage for ideas of other games to add to the Rainbow Deck geeklist:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/20503
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/1907

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chen Changcai
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For the card back, I wanted to keep it simple and grayscale, partly also to reduce ink requirement for PnP. Also, I do not want the card back to be more colourful to the card front.

It is quite true that the joker has no relation to the zodiac theme. But it looks nice. Maybe I can try putting the zodiac circle on the joker card instead. For the circle colours, the colours and zodiacs do not actually match what is on the deck itself.

The geeklists for Sticheln and Rage are great. By the way, Sticheln and Rage can be played with Rainbow Deck. So I suppose all the games at the Sticheln and Rage geeklist can be added to the Rainbow Deck geeklist. I will try to just add the geeklists.

How do I add a geeklist to a geeklist? What's geeklistID?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
ccube78 wrote:
I have put a label under each zodiac, to make it more complete. The latest version (v1.11) is uploaded (http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/48531)!

How about making the month and card value a different font and or font size?

Also, outlining and embedding the symbol in the colored bar would really clean it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rommer Tuesta-Vilca
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
apeloverage wrote:
How have you found shuffling 160 cards? I would've thought it'd be difficult to shuffle them properly.

Ohhh you get used to it. I shuffle sleeved Race for the Galaxy cards (including expansions) all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chen Changcai
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
monteslu wrote:

Also, outlining and embedding the symbol in the colored bar would really clean it up.

I have intentionally set both to be same font. There are some games that require the numbers 1-120, and I want the player to see the numbers easily. I have used font colour and underline to differentiate the tens and ones digits.

For the symbol, as discussed previously, for the white icon on colored field, I found that the icon is not very clear when the colored field is lighter in color (eg. yellow, lightgreen). One way is to make the icon black for ligher-colored fields, but I wanted the icons to have the same colour. Another solution would be to create a black outline around the icons. However, my technical expertise is limited and I have no easy way of doing that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ccube78 wrote:
It is quite true that the joker has no relation to the zodiac theme. But it looks nice. Maybe I can try putting the zodiac circle on the joker card instead. For the circle colours, the colours and zodiacs do not actually match what is on the deck itself.

I know .. it would be your job now, or the job of a kind graphic artist, to have the colours match

For the jokers: since there are 4 of them coming along, what about using the 4 elements earth, fire, air and water as jokers?

Google's image search provides some very beautiful examples there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You should start calling this the "Zodiac Deck". The colors are (rightfully) secondary cues anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you gotten in touch with James Ernest of erstwhile Cheapass Games? He released Chief Herman's Fun Pack, which has quite a few games that use a standard poker deck (he also does graphic design). Maybe you two can get into cahoots and come up with something to publish!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chen Changcai
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I will try to put the correct colours onto the Zodiac circle, but not sure how long it will take me.

(edit: It turned out to be rather easy, so here it is)

As for the jokers, I will prefer not to use symbols that come in fours. The reason is that the BGG PnP version (original version actually) has 6 jokers. The reason for having 4 jokers for the GameCrafter version is to cater to their 16 card printing batch. Also, I do not want to constrain to 4 jokers.

I have named the deck as Rainbow Deck rather than Zodiac Deck because the Zodiac idea came after the colours idea. Zodiac is considered as a theme as my final concept ended with 12 suits. Another reason is that I do not want to limit the suits to 12, which would be the case if I name it Zodiac deck. Although I have to agree, the way the deck is designed now skews more to the Zodiac theme than the Rainbow theme.

As for approaching a publisher, I will see how well the deck is received here first. I have not even sold a copy at the GameCrafter, so I am not sure how good this deck concept actually is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
ccube78 wrote:
monteslu wrote:

I have intentionally set both to be same font. There are some games that require the numbers 1-120, and I want the player to see the numbers easily. I have used font colour and underline to differentiate the tens and ones digits.

For the symbol, as discussed previously, for the white icon on colored field, I found that the icon is not very clear when the colored field is lighter in color (eg. yellow, lightgreen). One way is to make the icon black for ligher-colored fields, but I wanted the icons to have the same colour. Another solution would be to create a black outline around the icons. However, my technical expertise is limited and I have no easy way of doing that.

I saw that earlier in the thread, I just didn't want you to give up on it

I took the symbols as SVG files from here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zodiac

Then opened them up in inkscape and changed the fill to white and gave the stroke an 8 pixel solid black. Uploading to BGG loses a little quality, but here it is:

Also another thought.

Really cool that there's 12 decks. That means they could also be divided into types of 2,3,4, and 6. I'd hate to add any clutter to your desing, but maybe in the top and bottom bar you could add another small symbol or two.

If dividing by 4, i like the earth, wind, fire, water, but spade, club, heart, and diamond could also work

Dividing by 6, maybe resources like some Euros have? Sheep, wood, clay, stone, Wheat, gold?

Dividing by 2 doesn't need a symbol. Just look at even or odd on the deck number.

Dividing by 3 could get interesting. Maybe something to provide for rock-paper-scissors resolution in games. Infantry, Cavalry, Archer? Cat, Mouse, Elephant? Melee, Ranged, Magic? Attack, Defense, Rest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chen Changcai
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
monteslu wrote:

I saw that earlier in the thread, I just didn't want you to give up on it :)

I took the symbols as SVG files from here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zodiac

Then opened them up in inkscape and changed the fill to white and gave the stroke an 8 pixel solid black. Uploading to BGG loses a little quality, but here it is:

Also another thought.

Really cool that there's 12 decks. That means they could also be divided into types of 2,3,4, and 6. I'd hate to add any clutter to your desing, but maybe in the top and bottom bar you could add another small symbol or two.

If dividing by 4, i like the earth, wind, fire, water, but spade, club, heart, and diamond could also work :)

Dividing by 6, maybe resources like some Euros have? Sheep, wood, clay, stone, Wheat, gold?

Dividing by 2 doesn't need a symbol. Just look at even or odd on the deck number.

Dividing by 3 could get interesting. Maybe something to provide for rock-paper-scissors resolution in games. Infantry, Cavalry, Archer? Cat, Mouse, Elephant? Melee, Ranged, Magic? Attack, Defense, Rest?

Thanks for the graphics. I decided not to put embed the symbols in the colour bars as I realized the bars have to wider, which I do not quite like. Building on that idea, I played around with the border function in GIMP, and got the symbols to have black outline with the corresponding colours in them. It improves the layout, I think. The card back got more colourful as a result of this change too.

The Rainbow deck is made more for playing card games, rather than as resources for other games. I do not think adding more symbols to the card is useful as it is already pretty cluttered with 4 symbols at 4 corners and a picture in the center. To divide by 3, 4 and 6, I would need another 3 symbols, which would be rather confusing if it were to be added to the current layout.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [36] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.