1 Posts

Cape Horn» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Round the Bend more like ^^ rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dario bacchi
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Me, my brother and sister sat down today to play Cape Horn.

It didn't go QUITE as planned...see when you spot the mistake...

Brother had played it a few times a while back, me and Sis were uninitiated landlubbers.

Bro explained the rules briefly and it all seemed fairly straightforward:

So you have a ship, youre trying to get round the horn, collect some markers from the different zones and get to the finish line etc. On ur turn u lay down some wind tiles, lighter edge facing north then east then south depending how far round you are etc

OK we said and off we went and all took our start tiles

Sister - all mine are backwards arrows
Brother - oh yeah a lot are. u use them to slow down your opponents
Sister - oh ok [grins]
[nb we like games where you slow down your opponents ]

Brother - all mine r fowward
Me - hmm half half

So on we play - slow progress, sister keep picking up 'backwards' tiles

Sister - just what is the distribution anyway
Brother - oh i cant remember - probably about 50\50
Sister - hmmm

On we press slowly moving round the board - me and sis each get a marker from zone 1, brother goes straight past these to zone 2 then...a fair while later with a lot of slow mainly sideways movement... there's jostling for the 3rd zone markers. Me and brother fight hard blocking each other with every tile while sister takes the chance and makes a break with the only forward tile shes picked up in a long time and manages to get a 3rd zone marker.

By this time most of tiles were taken, we hadnt seen many forward arrows at all and there were some quite serious doubts about this mythical 50\50 distribution...

Me - are u SURE we're playing this right bro?
Brother - yeah yeah its supposed to me harsh. [looking less sure than before...]
Me - but all our forward moves are done by spending Sailing Points and moving adjacently cos all the smegging tiles point backwards!
Brother - no they dont ALL point backwards...some point sidewards..u just have to be inventive
Me and sister - hmmmmmmmm

So me and bro do what any good brothers SHOULD do and immediately lay down all our 'inventively forwards' ie BACKWARDS tiles in front of sis so there's no chance of her getting to the finish line any time this week

Sis - very funny but your just stopping yourselves as well
Me - ...oh yes...

I grab the rules...we had been playing slightly longer than the hour and a half we had expected and it had just gone cake and cofee o'clock so I check the bit about laying the wind tiles...u know...the bit where it says u lay the wind tile down with the DARK blue border facing north...........................

Me and sis [in heartfelt accord] - YOU FRIKKIN MUPPET!!!!
Brother - [sheepishly] Oops!

Well one thing to say is how well it did actually play with the tiles reversed - i mean we could of actually finihsed the game albeit with a lot of slow adjacent moves. So if anyone fancies a much harder variant then u know what to do

I look forward to trying it the proper way soon but worry that it might be just a bit too easy now...

Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.