Subject: Canal Mania vs. Brass rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nigel Gregory
United Kingdom
Newport Pagnell
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am patiently waiting for a re-print of Brass. In the meantime, I am quite tempted to get Canal Mania. Although not an avid Euro gamer, I have played Brass 3 or 4 times and thoroughly enjoy it. Can anybody who has played both games give me their opinion of how the gameplay of the two compare? (I have read the rules to CM but this obviously isn't the same as playing the game).

Many thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I grant that I've not played them back-to-back, but my first recollection is, "Er, almost entirely dissimilar?" That may not be true, but I certainly can't think of much they share in play style off the top of my head. Both are excellent games, though, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maaike Fest
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The German version Kohle is still available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The game have almost nothing in common. If you want to compare CM to any game by Martin Wallace, it would have to be the Early Railways Series games and the various derivatives (Age of Steam, Railroad Tycoon, &c.).

CM is a pick up and deliver route building game. Brass is a card-driven economic game that has only scant elements of delivering, and only in an abstracted sense. The heart of Brass is reacting to the internal economy and getting other people to flip your tiles. CM is much closer to the aforementioned train games in that you build track tiles, and try to deliver cubes to cities of their own colour for income.

FWIW, if you like Martin's games, I highly, highly recommend trying out his train games in place of CM. I won't go into any of it right now, but the primary living family right now is the Age of Steam/Steam grouping, and it shares much of the feel of CM, but is more in control most of the time and (for me) provides a much more satisfying experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Parrott
United States
Winnabow
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to echo what has been said, they are pretty dissimilar other than both covering a particular time frame of English History albeit in very different ways.

Follow up question for the OP, what is it in Brass you liked that you thought Canal Mania would also be enjoyable? Perhaps we could steer you towards a specific game that would fit your needs.

IMO, you can't really go wrong with CM. I happen to think it is an excellent game, but you may not find it to your liking compared to Brass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Urban
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Thematically, they'd make a pretty good double-feature; but as others have said, the gameplay is nothing alike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.